What to do with a modified gun before selling?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Hello, all. I'd like to hear some opinions from people who have experience selling guns (I still own every gun I've ever purchased). If you made a significant modification to a gun, say removing the magazine safety from a Browning Hi-Power because you HATE mag safeties, for example, what do you do before selling that gun? Would you reverse the modification(s), or make the buyer aware of it and let him or her make the choice?

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    I'd list as-is with all current modifications, with the option of returning to factory condition. No sense in going through the hassle if your potential buyer might actually want those mods, right? Unless of course any of the mods have moved your gun into alternative legal territory...
    Thanks for the reply. And that is my main concern - the legality of removing what is considered a safety feature.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. And that is my main concern - the legality of removing what is considered a safety feature.

No legality involved criminal wise. Civil isn't my wheelhouse, but my non-expert take is that if sold to someone unaware and they fired a cartridge with the magazine remove believing the weapon was intact they *could* pursue some sort of action against you. How successful that would be, I don't know, but it'd be a PITA. I would consider this a very low percentage of occurring, but non-zero. Sold with disclosure, still not zero, I suppose, but even closer. Not enough of a risk for me to be concerned about, but different people have different risk thresholds and are you the sort who will worry about? If yes, the reduction of worry is worth the bother of putting it back to OEM in my opinion.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    I would follow amjindiana's advise. There is no legal requirement that handguns have a built-in safety. You are not trying to deceive the buyer. Your modification is typical. If your modification would make the gun fire full auto, that might be a legal problem.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    No legality involved criminal wise. Civil isn't my wheelhouse, but my non-expert take is that if sold to someone unaware and they fired a cartridge with the magazine remove believing the weapon was intact they *could* pursue some sort of action against you. How successful that would be, I don't know, but it'd be a PITA. I would consider this a very low percentage of occurring, but non-zero. Sold with disclosure, still not zero, I suppose, but even closer. Not enough of a risk for me to be concerned about, but different people have different risk thresholds and are you the sort who will worry about? If yes, the reduction of worry is worth the bother of putting it back to OEM in my opinion.
    Definitely the way I was leaning.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...if sold to someone unaware and they fired a cartridge with the magazine remove believing the weapon was intact they *could* pursue some sort of action against you. How successful that would be, I don't know, but it'd be a PITA...
    **This**

There is never any guarantee that anything will keep you from being sued- never. Getting sued gets expensive real fast, but with proper insurance, there is a little bit of protection and the mechanism for the insurer to pay for a lawyer.

With that out of the way, and knowing INGO's hatred for paperwork when selling a gun, a simple bill of sale (or other writing signed by the buyer) where the buyer acknowledges the presence of any non-standard mods Listed and noted as sold as-is, assuming the risk) would be a useful piece of evidence in the rare circumstance that something bad happened later.

Last edited:

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    First, unscrew the oil filter. Second, weld back in to place the section of the barrel you cut off. Third, engrave the original serial number if you can remember it. Then list it for sale in "like new" condition.

What if the gun i'm my friend is trying to sell has the same serial number engraved into the oil filter? I hear guns are more valuable when the numbers all match.

Last edited:

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Loving the replies.....but seriously, IMO it depends how well you know the buyer.
    Is he a stand up guy (read...INGO member)?
    Cause this sort of thing could really bite you in the ass.
    If it's not a huge pain, I'd be inclined to return the gun to factory specs, concerning the function of any safety feature, and let the buyer perform his own mods, thus taking the onus of responsibility off of you. YMMV.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Hello, all. I'd like to hear some opinions from people who have experience selling guns (I still own every gun I've ever purchased). If you made a significant modification to a gun, say removing the magazine safety from a Browning Hi-Power because you HATE mag safeties, for example, what do you do before selling that gun? Would you reverse the modification(s), or make the buyer aware of it and let him or her make the choice?

:popcorn:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd list as-is with all current modifications, with the option of returning to factory condition. No sense in going through the hassle if your potential buyer might actually want those mods, right? Unless of course any of the mods have moved your gun into alternative legal territory...
    This but all of my guns were modified.
    Nobody ever wanted the OE stuff put back on.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Loving the replies.....but seriously, IMO it depends how well you know the buyer.
    Is he a stand up guy (read...INGO member)?
    Cause this sort of thing could really bite you in the ass.
    If it's not a huge pain, I'd be inclined to return the gun to factory specs, concerning the function of any safety feature, and let the buyer perform his own mods, thus taking the onus of responsibility off of you. YMMV.
    i've related this story in another thread.

i sold someone a s&w m&p 40 shield pc. they turned out to be an idiot. so i made her sell it back to me.

if i decide to sell any firearms going forward, it will be offered to ingo members first. even if i have to take a short.

i don't agree with everything everyone posts on here but i believe the members to be decent folks.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The used gun market is buyer beware like anything else. With so many aftermarket and basement dwelling gunsmiths wanting to make changes to a firearm BEFORE (if ever) they actually master shooting, then you can’t be sure the sear will not fail and destroy your femur or worse. This is whether the hobbyists puts back OEM parts or not.

If you ever worked gun repair, you see some crazy things. So represented changes mean nothing unless you know who and how to check the changes that were made.

That is all.

Top Bottom