What to do with a modified gun before selling?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It depends on the modification for me. If I just swapped out some parts that didn't require any gunsmithing; like grips or a magazine bumper I would put it back to factory and include the parts in the deal.

If it has different sights on it, I'd sell it as is. I don't see the point in pressing out sights when the new owner may prefer them the way I did. I would include the factory sights with the deal though.

I can't answer to extensive modifications because I don't do them. The firearms I purchase are just fine as they come from the factory with the exception of a few minor mods. I wouldn't purchase a firearm that needed a lot of extensive work to perform. I need more work than the gun does, lol.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    It depends on the modification for me. If I just swapped out some parts that didn't require any gunsmithing; like grips or a magazine bumper I would put it back to factory and include the parts in the deal.

If it has different sights on it, I'd sell it as is. I don't see the point in pressing out sights when the new owner may prefer them the way I did. I would include the factory sights with the deal though.

I can't answer to extensive modifications because I don't do them. The firearms I purchase are just fine as they come from the factory with the exception of a few minor mods. I wouldn't purchase a firearm that needed a lot of extensive work to perform. I need more work than the gun does, lol.
    I don't necessarily disagree with "I wouldn't purchase a firearm that needed a lot of extensive work to perform." But...I needed a Hi-Power because, objectively speaking, it's the most beautiful pistol ever made (even if not the most shootable), yet I dislike mag safeties and feel they simply encourage poor gun handling. So this was an exception.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't necessarily disagree with "I wouldn't purchase a firearm that needed a lot of extensive work to perform." But...I needed a Hi-Power because, objectively speaking, it's the most beautiful pistol ever made (even if not the most shootable), yet I dislike mag safeties and feel they simply encourage poor gun handling. So this was an exception.
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider that "extensive work". That's more of a personal preference.

I'm thinking about major slide work, frame work, replacing multiple parts of the FCG and the like as extensive. For example, I'm not going to buy a cheap 1911 only to have it completely gone through to get a respectable firearm. I'll spend more on one that runs out of the box and make some minor changes to make it "mine".

My brother has a Hi-Power and did the same thing. He likes it better that way but he's not allowed to shoot IDPA with it now.

Dooby91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2019
    Bloomington
    I would treat it like selling a car with modifications. If you remove any safety features put it in writing if your that concerned. Just don’t sell it to an ignorant person and you will be fine.

Top Bottom