• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I have a early 80's or late 70's Winchester 37A youth model .410.
    It was my first gun. Around the time I was 16, (1990 or so) we came back from rabbit hunting, and I noticed that the barrel was cracked about 3inches or so from the end. I hacksawed it off very cleanly and square. It's still legal length. I haven't fired it since.

I can't find a youth barrel for it, and the price of the gun itself is pretty cheap if I were to replace it.

So my question is, how do I go about getting rid of it? I can't just dump it. I appreciate your suggestions.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    You can turn it in at a gun buyback program. Most give out $100 or so.
    Are there any coming up soon?
    I really don't want to give it away, but at the same time I don't want to tear it down and sell parts. I'm not looking to make money from it either though. I wonder if buyback programs trade for 22lr? :D

MMRUSH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I have a early 80's or late 70's Winchester 37A youth model .410.
    It was my first gun. Around the time I was 16, (1990 or so) we came back from rabbit hunting, and I noticed that the barrel was cracked about 3inches or so from the end. I hacksawed it off very cleanly and square. It's still legal length. I haven't fired it since.

I can't find a youth barrel for it, and the price of the gun itself is pretty cheap if I were to replace it.

So my question is, how do I go about getting rid of it? I can't just dump it. I appreciate your suggestions.
    You should turn it into a lamp. When I was a kid we had a friend who had two floor lamps made from double barrel shot guns.I always wanted one.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I just took it out and put 2 slugs through it just for kicks. Still fires well. I hit what I was aiming at. Of course it was only 30ft maybe. I really don't know what I'm going to do with it. I just got a wild hair and thought I'd get some suggestions. I may buy some birdshot for it and see what the pattern is and use it for my 8yr daughter to practice with. It's no good for hunting I'm sure. I would feel bad about selling it, because of the condition. There is no bluing left.

I'm torn I guess and just throwing my own thoughts out just to get them out. :)

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I just took it out and put 2 slugs through it just for kicks. Still fires well. I hit what I was aiming at. Of course it was only 30ft maybe. I really don't know what I'm going to do with it. I just got a wild hair and thought I'd get some suggestions. I may buy some birdshot for it and see what the pattern is and use it for my 8yr daughter to practice with. It's no good for hunting I'm sure. I would feel bad about selling it, because of the condition. There is no bluing left.

I'm torn I guess and just throwing my own thoughts out just to get them out. :)

Depending on what you feel like many here would buy it. If it's cheap enough I might even buy it.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Gun buyback programs take all....even .22's! :):
    Be patient...and wait for the next $100 program.
    I didn't clarify. I was trying to be a wise acre about them taking the gun in exchange for .22lr ammo. :D It might be worth, what 3 rounds at current prices?

mikescetme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2012
    Indianapolis
    just a great idea -- sell junk guns to the buyback and keep the good ones -- really dont think the bad guys will sell the good ones -- hope i can find someone with a makarov i can buy before they sell it to the buyback

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    why not hang on to it and hand it down to the next generation? since it was your first, let it be your oldest childs first. think of the stories you will be able to share.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    Agreed that lots of people think guns like this are perfect for trying out gunsmithing skills. This sort of thing would be great to give me some confidence before I hack up a GOOD barrel on my lathe that I can make it come out good. Or, if like you said its still legal length, internal threading for a choke, or many other gunsmithing projects where a good gun would not be risked.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    why not hang on to it and hand it down to the next generation? since it was your first, let it be your oldest childs first. think of the stories you will be able to share.
    My dad already gave him his first gun. A single 20ga. He also has my hunting rifle, given to me by my dad, coming to him in a few years. I said earlier I was thinking of letting my youngest use it to practice with and let her have it as her own. I just wish finding a barrel wasn't so damn tough.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    These guys sell obsolete Winchester parts. Maybe one of them could help. I don't have any personal experience with them so can't give a recommendation.

Jack First, Inc.
    1201 Turbin Drive
    Rapid City SD, 57701
    Phone: 605-343-8481

Nu-Line Guns
    8150 CR 4055
    Rhineland MO, 65069
    Phone: 573-676-5500

Pennsylvania Gun Parts
    RD 7 Box 150
    Mt. Pleasant PA, 15666
    Phone: 724-547-3257