• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zhigdon91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    southside indy
    Besides what fits your hand the best what do you look for when buying your carry gun? For me it more of the availability of mags, ammo, and parts. For example if god forbid something crazy happened and we did have a SHTF scenario I'd like to know that I could pick up most firearms and be able to use the mags or ammo. For example my 2 main carry guns are the glock 19 and 23 the 23 is my favorite in the sense that Leo carry g22s so I could there ammo/ mags. Now don't get me wrong I hope a situation like this never occurs but who knows Russians maybe dropping out of the skies sooner than later.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Besides fit and quality?

1. Availability of maintenance and repair parts.
    2. 45 acp, 9mm, 357 mag/38 sp. only
    3. Holster availability

zhigdon91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    southside indy
    .40 is by no means my favorite cartridge but it is carried by so many that I felt it would make a great everyday carry since the mags and ammo would be very accessible if need arises.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    .40 is by no means my favorite cartridge but it is carried by so many that I felt it would make a great everyday carry since the mags and ammo would be very accessible if need arises.

Thats logical thinking. However, during civil unrest, my sidearm is solely a bug. Or at least thats Plan A.

zhigdon91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    southside indy
    Thats logical thinking. However, during civil unrest, my sidearm is solely a bug. Or at least thats Plan A.
    I see where your coming from and I try and get comfortable shooting as many firearms as possible but I figure since I have the most practice/ training with mine I'd like to keep it as long as I can.

zhigdon91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    southside indy
    Very good read thanks for sharing. All very valid points and seeing that you have more experience when it comes to these situations I can definatley take your advice to heart. I understand that a handgun is by no means going to be my best bet if a fire fight does arise but I would hope that it could atleast get me back to the house where I have more adiquit firearms at my disposal.

zhigdon91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    southside indy
    If we lived in an idea place where I wouldn't worry about thugs breaking into my car and stealing the AR out of my trunk I would definatley keep one there but since I do work in a pretty bad part of the city and my employer wouldn't appreciate me walking into work with my AR it has to stay home for now .

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Make sure your carry gun is a gun you like and one that you're proficient with. This is the sidearm you're going to be depending on, so get something that you know you'll shoot a lot. Don't go for pricey calibers that you won't want to practice with if budget is an issue. Make sure you enjoy shooting it. This is one reason why I didn't go with a super small gun for my carry weapon, because the ones I tried out I didn't enjoy shooting.

zhigdon91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    southside indy
    The glock 19 and 23 fit my hands perfectly and I enjoy shooting both but the 23 is carried more for the specific reasons above. I'm not saying that .40 is better than 9mm but in my research it is carried more. Now my research wasn't too thoro just me talking with a few friends who are Leo and friends who aren't so my choice was solely based on comfort and availability of ammo in a SHTF scenario.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    What do I look for, 'ideally'? A tiny (smaller than a NAA 'belt buckle' .22) full-auto handgun, that shoots a .90 cal. round, has a 2,000,000 +1 capacity, zero recoil, automatic sighting, zero maintenance, comes fully engraved in 25 kt. gold, and is incapable of misfiring. Oh yeah, and has a cigar and drink holder attached.

I do admit, it has been a bit of a 'challenge' trying to find that exact model. :scratch:

zhigdon91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    southside indy
    What do I look for, 'ideally'? A tiny (smaller than a NAA 'belt buckle' .22) full-auto handgun, that shoots a .90 cal. round, has a 2,000,000 +1 capacity, zero recoil, automatic sighting, zero maintenance, comes fully engraved in 25 kt. gold, and is incapable of misfiring. Oh yeah, and has a cigar and drink holder attached.

I do admit, it has been a bit of a 'challenge' trying to find that exact model. :scratch:
    If you find one please let me know that is a must have for the collection lol I would put one on layaway that day haha even if the fiancé rips me for it lol

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The glock 19 and 23 fit my hands perfectly and I enjoy shooting both but the 23 is carried more for the specific reasons above. I'm not saying that .40 is better than 9mm but in my research it is carried more. Now my research wasn't too thoro just me talking with a few friends who are Leo and friends who aren't so my choice was solely based on comfort and availability of ammo in a SHTF scenario.

Cool! And if you feel like you can consistently get .40 ammo at a price you're willing to pay so that you'll practice a lot with that 23, then I say fantastic!

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My awesome dad reloads .40 for me so I have an abundance of .40 I probably run through 100 rds a week which I would say is suficant for training

Dude! That pretty much seals it in my mind. I'm with you, found the Glocks to be the most comfortable out of what I tried. I just didn't have the awesome accessibility to ammo that you have. ;)

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For the reasons listed in the OP, I have carry guns in .380, 38, 9mm and 45. I can push a 22, .357, 44, or 45 Colt into service if need be. I keep ammo on hand for all of them, and figure that in a pinch, I should be able to find ammo for at least one of them at any given time of I were to be caught empty handed.

If it were a SHTF scenario, my handgun would be a last resort consideration, as I would default to a MBR of some sort as a primary outside the home, or a 12 gauge in the home.

As far as fit, capacity, ease of carry, that would be why I have so many different choices in caliber for carry. It is very rare that I cannot conceal a full sized pistol on my person without adjusting my wardrobe, but sometimes the added weight is more of a hassle than the perceived threat of my destination.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Regarding ammo, I'm pleasantly surprised to be finding 357 SIG pretty readily, even when other calibers' shelves are bare. Yes, it's nearly double the price of 9mm, but I'm building up a cache of it and have even found a dozen boxes of Federal HST in the last couple weeks. I'm basically buying every chance I get when I can afford it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I really do want a G23 to go with my G20, but dang it if that new Walther CCP isn't at the top of my list if it's as good as it looks on paper!

I love the idea of that CCP.

Hello-- anyone at GLOCK LISTENING??

Top Bottom