• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    This is something I have questioned for as long as I have had interest in a SHTF scenario. I don't know if this is a personal question or not, so answer it as you see fit. I know there are thousands of huge reasons...nukes, earthquakes, major terrorists assaults, etc.......

What will trigger you to say, I'm not going to work. I'm mobilizing my family, my plan, my supplies, and put you into survival mode?

I don't plan for my SHTF mindset to be something that progressivly builds up. I have based mine mostly on communication. I want to act first, not wait for the news channels to report it. I feel like cell phones will be the first level of comms to be lost. Even if TV and the Web is still operating I plan to start mobilizing as soon as verbal communication is lost, or becomes threatened. I see these commercials that ask if your family has a plan and I know ours isn't perfect, but this is our "trigger"

I hope to learn from your responses. Thanks.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Loss of commo could be the beginning of the end. Could just be a glitch in the system. Machines fail so basing your SHTF trigger on loss of cell use seems like a bad way to do it.
    I've always figured that as sad as the news shows are these days the impending disaster will be too good a story to pass up so they will cover it well, 24/7. That is if its a slow crash. Also if you got your ears to the ground so to speak, before hand, you'll hear it coming and can get your plans initiated.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Too many factors to base it on. Not to mention it's hard to make a blanket statement, because one aspect could go to hell, but the rest is holding true. And my plan is to hold down the fort, not run to one, so I don't have much to set in motion.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Caveman, I fully understand your statement on glitch in the system. My point, and you probably understand after going through the floods in 2008, cell phone attempts where useless during that event. I'm not saying no reception means I run home. I'm the type that in a sudden disaster thats there to help, I just question at what point do I gather family and quit giving a darn about others that I don't know. I guess the way I have worded this I am talking about a sudden SHTF, not a progressive SHTF.

I know you guys think there a million reasons to start your plan, but that is you, and only you. I'm saying at what point does your wife know to leave work, when do you gather grandparents, or what makes them know to head to your chosen safe place... I mentioned comms, simply becuase I know its a weak system that has proven to fail first in many cases. I'm not saying shut down, but it fails to connect because tens of thousands of people in your area are on there phone in a panic.

I know its a blanket statement, if people don't want to answer it then roll on to the next. Thanks.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I don't know if cell phone shutdown would be what would "trigger" me. I agree with Tyler on localized riots, though I don't see that happening in Bloomington, but I could be wrong. Martial Law would have me worked up as well as "suspensions" of the Constitution. Really hard to say if and when something might go down, but yes, better to be ahead of the curve. If you are ahead of that curve, you might not even have to go into work, ala "Patriots". That would be the ideal situation, living full time at your bug out (or in) location, then, there is really nothing that you have to do, other than tighten security. I think this is an ideal, but we are no were near that, yet. All I can do in the meantime is get enough buffer for if something does happen.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think a SHTF situation starts with either an terrorist attack, or an immediate breakdown of all civil functions or because of mass riot, a natural disaster or life threatening events.

It's really not a put your finger on it kind of thing until somethings happens that YOU determine that it is a SHTF occasion.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Any time an employee of any level of government makes an official statement "It's for your own good and/or safety".

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It would suck to lose your job after you didn't show up to work, because your cell phone provider took a dump.

You will know SHTF when you see it.

There is such a thing as SHTF where you still have to go to work. Like in Argentina, the whole country turned Third-World overnight. If you were lucky enough to still have a job, you should probably do what you can to keep it. It is taking years for them to recover. You can't hide in your basement for years.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    an immediate breakdown of all civil functions

Thanks for this answer. This is a true solid reason.

Luckily for me my mother, brother, and grandmother don't disagree with me when I tell them it is possible for large scale cival unrest potentially leading to worse things. My original idea in question was to know what signals my 83 old grandmother should look for besides waiting on a phone call asking her to drive over.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Riots in Bloomington is possible if mommy and daddy stop paying the bills. That goes for the college kids and the welfare moms and dads...........
    Nay, they'll all be in their cars stuck on the bypass, or better yet heading back to Jersey and New York and that other country, Kalifornia...but good point. I think though, or hope, that there are a lot more self sufficient types around town.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I think a SHTF situation starts with either an terrorist attack, or an immediate breakdown of all civil functions or because of mass riot, a natural disaster or life threatening events.

The above sounds about right.

The closest I've seen is on 9/11/01. I went to work like normal, and friend comes by and says some bad crap is going down. After a while cell phones were jammed, later many websites weren't working. I bailed out early to go check on the family, saw massive lines at the gas station, cops controlling traffic there. Hunkered down at home that night, checked our preps. Resumed normal schedule the next day.

I didn't have a BOB back then, I'm better prepped now.

Top Bottom