What was/is The “Cheapest” Handgun(s) You Owned?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Jennings, Titan, and a Davis. Cracked slides, missing parts and plenty of "Operator Tape". All three for $20. Sold one at a gun "buy back" for $50. Crime went down .000001%. They crawfished on the other two. The cop they hired for security laughed at my arsenal.
    Kinda hurt my feelings.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My grandfather always jokes about buying a springfield rifle for a couple of bucks when he was young. Wouldn't that be nice?

I'm pretty close to buying a Star BM9. I've always wanted one of those Phoenix 22's, but just can't bring myself to do it. Meanwhile, I'm totally cool with spending $500 for a Glock or something. :(

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I bought a used S&W 66 in 1982 for around $250... then in the 90's a Taurus revolver for $200... those would be my cheapest.

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    High point 995.

Many many years ago picked up for $199.

Sold for almost triple that a few elections ago.

Kinda miss it. I see they are back around the original price.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Jennings 22. Bought off gunbroker for 15 dollars. Had to buy a safety for another 20. But gun was dirt cheap. Runs great never had a jam and shot about 100 rounds through it.

OSAKNUC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    South Bend
    Hi-Point 9mm. I bought it BRAND NEW for $98.

I didn’t buy it for any rational reason other than to say “Yeah I got myself a hi pointe”

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Hi-Point 9mm. I bought it BRAND NEW for $98.

I didn’t buy it for any rational reason other than to say “Yeah I got myself a hi pointe”

Worddoer at a Gunaholic's Anonymous meeting.....

Me: Hello my name is worddoer, and I'm a gunaholic.

Group: Hello worddoer.

Me: It's only been a couple of days since I last touched a gun. It was a Hi-Point.

Group: Audible gasps, people turn in their seats nervously and several look away in shame.

Me: I just couldn't help myself. I kept hearing the other people talk about how they were experimenting with different guns and how fun it was....liberating. I thought that if I was going to experiment, why not just go all the way....no halfway stuff. So I bought a Hi-Point.

Group: An old lady starts to cry softly, a gentleman clears his throat loudly and the moderator starts to say something, but I cut him off.

Me: I even went so far into heathenism that I had the Hi-Point bedazzled and blinged!

Group: Now the old woman is openly weeping, some other old dude to my left starts screaming and tearing up his clothes, to my right someone vomited, and the moderator....he starts screaming for security!

I had to run out of there. As I understand it, and I am banned from this meeting for life. I will wear the scarlet letter of shame for my weakness for the rest of my life.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I have a Sccy CPX-2. I got it because I wanted a small carry gun. I still have it, I still like it. It isn't the greatest gun in the world, but it is functional.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Cheapest gun I’ve ever bought? A Ruger super blackhawk .44 mag, for $100. I was doing some remodel work on a guys house about 20 years ago, he was telling me he had a revolver he had no use for, so he went to get it and when I told him it was worth more than what he was asking, he said he appreciated the work we had done for him and how we had been so nice to him, That he would be very happy with $100 for it!

OSAKNUC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    South Bend
    Worddoer at a Gunaholic's Anonymous meeting.....

Me: Hello my name is worddoer, and I'm a gunaholic.

Group: Hello worddoer.

Me: It's only been a couple of days since I last touched a gun. It was a Hi-Point.

Group: Audible gasps, people turn in their seats nervously and several look away in shame.

Me: I just couldn't help myself. I kept hearing the other people talk about how they were experimenting with different guns and how fun it was....liberating. I thought that if I was going to experiment, why not just go all the way....no halfway stuff. So I bought a Hi-Point.

Group: An old lady starts to cry softly, a gentleman clears his throat loudly and the moderator starts to say something, but I cut him off.

Me: I even went so far into heathenism that I had the Hi-Point bedazzled and blinged!

Group: Now the old woman is openly weeping, some other old dude to my left starts screaming and tearing up his clothes, to my right someone vomited, and the moderator....he starts screaming for security!

I had to run out of there. As I understand it, and I am banned from this meeting for life. I will wear the scarlet letter of shame for my weakness for the rest of my life.

Good stuff, haha. I couldn’t pass up buying a Hi-Point for $98 tho. Just couldn’t. I really have absolutely no use for it. It’s the most unwieldy gun I have ever shot, but I have shot some rather expensive guns with worse triggers.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I bought three Bulgarian Makarovs way back in the day when they first started coming into the USA. I think the most I paid for one was $115. I still carry them today. Cheap? No, that's a bargain. They've been rock solid reliable. They were as mentioned above, merely inexpensive.

The SCCY has been mentioned. I think an early one of those ran me $170 new. I really hated it despite it being reliable and sold it quickly.

My favorite bargain is a Browning Hi Power MKIII Belgian Police trade in I bought from AIM Surplus in the 90's for $299. It's been 100% and it's a great shooter. I wish I could get a few more in that kind of condition for that kind of money.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I bought a used Colt diamondback 22 and a used combat commander back in the mid 70's for $200 each. I sold the combat commander but still have the diamondback 22.
    Wish I hadn't sold the commander.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    do mosins count?

edit nm was reading through and forgot the handgun part. I have a cobra .380 that i paid $100 for. Its heavy enough you could defend yourself by throwing it at someone. but other than that i wouldnt touch it.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I bought a Hi-point off a buddy for $50 shot one mag through it and traded it to another buddy for a mosin nagant. Big up grade there!!! Money wise that's the cheapest gun I bought.

Same buddy traded me a Marlin 25 and a beat up nylon 66 for a case of Busch Light. That's the best trade I ever negotiated.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Grendel P10

It was also the worst handgun I ever owned. I wonder if there is a connection?

Top Bottom