What was your first gun that got you hooked on shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    First gun that got me hooked on shooting wasn't actually a gun. It was a daisy BB gun, that I used to carry (as a kid) whenever my grandfather, dad, and uncles went hunting. At the end of a hunt, I would impress them by killing Dr Pepper cans.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My brother had a BB-gun, and my dad eventually (after much begging) allowed me to get a Sheridan Blue Streak (but I had to save my money for it!).

But the kicker, the thing that really got me hooked, was shooting .22s at the rifle range at summer camp as a Boy Scout. I would have spent all of my time at the range if they would have let me! They had a wooden deck that they had built, about half way down a ravine. The deck smelled of creosote, and the mixture of the creosote smell and the smell of the smoke coming off the rimfire rifles is still etched in my memory. Those were some great days!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Trapped coons and muskrats and a couple fox. Picked up the dead off the roads. Cashed them all in and went all the way to camby IN to a shop we all know now. 60 miles or so after a tip from the gun show. At the time it was just the revolver room and level action room for guns. The rest of the place was chainsaws mowers and lawn equipment.

Had them order me a brand spanking new Winchester 9422 in 22 mag. Dad purchased a brand new ruger government model mark 2 target pistol. He had to buy that one I was not old enough. That 9422 turned me into a rifle shooter. The mark 2 a pistol shooter.

Still have both. Sure I had a Stevens single shot 20 and a Stevens single shot 22. They were tools. The ruger and the Winchester were treasures. Fur prices started to head south within a few years after that. Still got a rem 870 wing master and a tc contender before the fur prices dropped to much. Have all to this day.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    My brother had a BB-gun, and my dad eventually (after much begging) allowed me to get a Sheridan Blue Streak (but I had to save my money for it!).

But the kicker, the thing that really got me hooked, was shooting .22s at the rifle range at summer camp as a Boy Scout. I would have spent all of my time at the range if they would have let me! They had a wooden deck that they had built, about half way down a ravine. The deck smelled of creosote, and the mixture of the creosote smell and the smell of the smoke coming off the rimfire rifles is still etched in my memory. Those were some great days!

I had a Sheridan silver streak. Fun pellet gun but sure have to work for that one shot.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    My first gun that got me hooked was a Ruger Mini-14 with beautiful wood stock with the 30-round mag...that was 25 years ago...it was first one I bought...and still have!

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    my grandpa's single shot bolt action Remington 514 .22lr. first real gun I ever shot and spent countless hours with him learning to shoot about 30 years ago. some amazing memories with that rifle. my uncle gave it to me when my grandpa passed away several years ago and I will never part with it

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    At the end of a hunt, I would impress them by killing Dr Pepper cans.

"And these were by golly REAL Dr. Pepper's....With real cane sugar...And we didn't shoot no Mr. Pibb cans neither...They weren't worth wasting a BB on...And then I had a moon pie and listened to the older guys tell stories..."

That's how it was with me any way...:)

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I came from an anti-gun family, the first gun I ever shot was a bolt action .22 of some kind at Boy Scout summer camp about 14 years ago. I've been hooked ever since.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am sure I shot some kind of bb or pellet gun, but my G'ma's 022 single shot ......

Then my first gun, a Mossberg .410 bolt action .....

Still have it ..... First shell I reloaded, also .....

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Crossman pump master 760 bb shooter. Wore that thing out.

Boy have I sent a lot down range since then!

Flagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    N/A
    My dad's Ruger Mark III. We've probably put 70 or 80K rounds through it over the last 25 years. Still accurate.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    M1 Garand! It was the first gun I fired, and I have been hooked ever since! I have 4 now in my collection.

Top Bottom