• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    What would work after an EMP attack? How about the old style mini-bikes that ran with what appeared to be a lawnmower engine. Not fast or load carrying but definitely a way to get from here to there.

How about an old engine style to run a well pump? What kind or manufacturer?

So many things I know nothing about.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    One BIG question:
    If am EMP happens, that probably means there were more than one nuke going off around this country.... maybe dozens....or hundreds.. :dunno:.... so, exactly where do you plan on taking your bike or scooter???

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    caneman,

You need to do a little research and get hold of either the Canadian Army manuals on this or our Armies manuals pertaining to Nuclear attacks and EMP related events... Two of the best sources about what will occur during an event and exactly what the effects will be. Facts not Hollywood.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I'm one of the not too numerous old foggies on the INGO site. At 70 and living nearly five miles from the nearest town I'd like to have something available to get anywhere other than my immediate neighbors. Five miles in and five miles back might mean camping overnight 1/2 way back if I walked. With luck I'd never need it. If my wife was ill I'd prefer less than a 8 hour walk to town.

Everyones situation is different.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    caneman: Everyones situation is different.

Very true. If you wake up and see mushroom clouds on the horizon, take that as a sign that you will not be going to town in the near future. It's pretty much going to be up to each individual to survive and cope.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    My suggestion would be a bicycle.
    Not to many bad guys would be willing to chase you down for a bike.

Personally, depending on the closeness of the strike,
    I would not expect to see very much road traffic,
    either mini bikes, riding lawn mowers, cars or tractors.

This seems to be a valid question with no real answers since there
    have been no EMP strikes for anyone to determine the outcome of damage.

Lots of speculation.
    I do know if you have the only running mode of transportation,
    a person could expect to draw a lot of armed people with the intent
    of removing it from you.
    Not something I would be looking forward too.

What little I know about different types of attacks,
    an EMP strike could be one of the worse things that
    could be initiated against the U.S.

From what I have read, those in the circle of strike zone will be without electricity, city water, city gas, phone including cells, and all other modern conveniences that we are accustomed too.
    Pretty much no physical damage to structures but difficult at best
    to continue living the good life in that area until services are restored.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    EMP launch in the atmosphere is probably the situation he's talking about here. One Second After is an eye opener for this kind of attack. Lights Out is another I'm currently reading about a similar type of attack.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    About what kind of range does an EMP from a nuclear hit normally effect? I'm nearly 50 miles from Indy and it would prob be the closest place to me that might be a target, other than the less likely Grissom ARB

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    About what kind of range does an EMP from a nuclear hit normally effect? I'm nearly 50 miles from Indy and it would prob be the closest place to me that might be a target, other than the less likely Grissom ARB
    Go to frc4u.org

Click on Misc Feeds, then click on Ground Zero Map.

You can select the target and the type of weapn used. It will give you the blast radius. You can also select fallout. It gives you the projected fallout pattern.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    From what I understand EMP only effects electrical circuits, correct? If that's the case, all motors will work, but you have to bypass the electrical systems somehow.

PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    It would be possible to cover your garage, or for that matter your entire house, with a grounded wire mesh to act as a Faraday cage thereby protecting all electronics within from any EMP.

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I do not consider myself well versed on this subject, but I will pass along how I understand these things to affect us. First off, the effects are directly limited to line of sight. So the altitude of the burst is a significant factor. If a nuclear device is detonated at ground level, the EMP effect will be local in nature. If it is detonated from 40,000 feet, obviously the line of sight effect is significantly greater. It has been determined that such a detonation is possible from a passenger carrier airliner over North Dakota would cause such a large EMP surge to our coupled electric grid that the entire country could in theory be without electricity within seconds. That being said, that it is just theory, the utility companies are supposedly installing devices that would prevent losing the entire grid.
    As far as a mini-bike, the theory is, it too will instantly quit, but only if the device is detonated within the line of sight, which again is dependant upon altitude. The advantage is that if you own one that has a condensor and point ignition system, all you need to do to get it running again is replace those two parts, and it will be running again. Your spares of course must be stored in a faraday cage or they too will be ruined. This applies to any engine employing condensor/point ignition system. Hope this helps.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I do not consider myself well versed on this subject, but I will pass along how I understand these things to affect us. First off, the effects are directly limited to line of sight. So the altitude of the burst is a significant factor. If a nuclear device is detonated at ground level, the EMP effect will be local in nature. If it is detonated from 40,000 feet, obviously the line of sight effect is significantly greater. It has been determined that such a detonation is possible from a passenger carrier airliner over North Dakota would cause such a large EMP surge to our coupled electric grid that the entire country could in theory be without electricity within seconds. That being said, that it is just theory, the utility companies are supposedly installing devices that would prevent losing the entire grid.
    As far as a mini-bike, the theory is, it too will instantly quit, but only if the device is detonated within the line of sight, which again is dependant upon altitude. The advantage is that if you own one that has a condensor and point ignition system, all you need to do to get it running again is replace those two parts, and it will be running again. Your spares of course must be stored in a faraday cage or they too will be ruined. This applies to any engine employing condensor/point ignition system. Hope this helps.

Very good explanation, I concur with this info

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Unless you are closer to the center were the yeild is much higher. All you should have to do is restart your vehicle, if it was even running to start with. Most electronics should be all right as long as the are turned off. Even then most modern electronics will just need to be turned off and reset.

Guys really the Governments of the US, Canada, Russia, and China have done SIGNIFICANT amounts of research into this. Try and get hold of some of their manuals and research papers. EMP is a bad thing, yes. As bad as Hollywood makes you think, No!

insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    I'm of the understanding that pre-electronic/pre-comptuer controlled engines are what will work after an EMP. On SurvivalBlog.com I'm pretty sure I read that you would need a pre 1982 or pre 1984 vehicle (not sure the cutoff date). I bought an 82 GMC step van based on this. You might also want to look at old Ford Bronco's for hauling and four wheel capability bug out vehicles.

insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    Also you can use a dead microwave to store 2 radios and such. A microwave is basically a faraday cage. Any grounding on the house will not protect those small items as they are not plugged in, although I don't think grounding the house or anything will protect your electronics, but I'm only passing along what I've read at survivalblog...

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Unless you are closer to the center were the yeild is much higher. All you should have to do is restart your vehicle, if it was even running to start with. Most electronics should be all right as long as the are turned off.

This was somewhat described by a situation on that new disaster show on Spike. The original vehicle that was being driven was said to have been dead due to the blast. Later during one of the groups escape they hot wired a vehicle that was not running during the blast.

Top Bottom