• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Suppose that on Sunday you take your kids to religious education at a church that is also a school, normally you just drop them off at the door and pick them up at the door but on one day their substitute teacher won't release them to their stepbrother so you have to go inside. Since you normally don't leave the car you are carrying your gun, do you just carry inside knowing that it's concealed or do you disarm and leave it in the car?

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I doubt that someone is going to pat search you when you enter the building. My thought is "Don't ask Don't Tell" I would keep mine concealed and go on with the business at hand.

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I would leave it in the car, but I don't think it would matter if it is concealed. No one would know about it. I myself wouldn't be comfortable taking the chance.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I would leave it in the car, but I don't think it would matter if it is concealed. No one would know about it. I myself wouldn't be comfortable taking the chance.

You realize that either way it's illegal to have a gun on school property? Why take the chance of someone seeing you unholster when it's concealed?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I think I can disarm myself in my truck without anyone seeing.

You think you can:dunno:, I know I can walk around with my gun concealed for years with no one noticing, I'd leave it be if I had to go inside in this situation, no wrong answers here either way you're screwed if caught, I was almost in this situation today, luckily I didn't have to decide since their mom was there picking up her youngest and got them. Also it depends on where you are parked, today I was parked right by the door, I'm sure someone would have seen my gun if I disarmed.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    As has already been said... both are equally illegal.

I think I would do whatever has the least chance of getting me caught if there weren't any legal options available. If I thought I could leave it in the car without anyone seeing, I would do that. While it is just as illegal as carrying into the school, I think you might find LE and prosecutors to be a little more understanding when you did your best to follow the spirit of the law under the circumstances.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    as long as you do not get out of car it is not illegal.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

OPer already made that clear. He usually doesn't get out of the car. He is asking what people would do if they were forced to get out of the car when they were expecting to remain in the vehicle.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (A) a school; or

(3) A person who:

But what if you hadn't planned on leaving the car, say you pull up to pickup your child and a teachers runs out and tells you your child is hurt, do you park and leave it in the car or do you just carry and rush inside?

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    and many schools just flat out don't have any parking within reasonable walking distance. My daughter's school doesn't have any place off property you could park within at least a half mile. I'm not going to walk on a road with no sidewalks with my child... especially if it is 10 degrees outside and snowy. Also not if the reason they told me to come in was because they were hurt.

I really think Indiana's laws on school zones needs to be gun owner's #1 priority in any new legislation. We need school zones defined in a way that doesn't allow someone to easily commit a felony without knowing, and we need to be able to leave our firearms locked in our cars if we need to go inside for some reason. I'm sorry, but a school district owning land and leasing it to someone else for non-school related business should not be a place where I become a felon for stepping foot on. It is unreasonable to expect your average person to know what land is owned by a school district unless there is an ACTUAL SCHOOL on it!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If its concealed I would keep the gun on me.
    It sounds the safest thing to do when your gun can be stolen if left in the car.

zcsmith464

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would carry on in. Most of whom might see you anyway would not make a situaiton about it, many will just let it go. Especially since you are very confident that it is well concealed.

Top Bottom