• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do not loan out my vehicles, lawn mowers, tools, etc.

Why would anyone even consider loaning a gun for any reason. Just not something you do.

Well, I have let a friend hunt with my .17 tracker but he is my accountant/insurance broker. If I trust him with my finances he can use the Taurus.
    I also hunt on his land and that land is our primary BOL. He trusts me with 500 plus acres to use. Trust is something you earn. It is not an automatic if you share blood.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So you knew he had a drug/alcohol problem at least at some point. Yeah, I'm thinking lesson learned.
    At what point does someone's history NOT get used against him? Once a scumbag always a scumbag? Screw up once always be treated as a screw up? Lots of "respect is earned" BS in this thread but none of you would actually give anybody a chance to earn it.

Why would anyone even consider loaning a gun for any reason. Just not something you do.

Well, I have let a friend hunt with my .17 tracker but he is my accountant/insurance broker. If I trust him with my finances he can use the Taurus.
    I also hunt on his land and that land is our primary BOL. He trusts me with 500 plus acres to use. Trust is something you earn. It is not an automatic if you share blood.
    You mean it's not something other people should do because they lack your clairvoyance and character evaluation skills.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Somewhat contradictory.
    i will gladly loan my vehicles, lawn mowers, tools, money, AND guns!

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I do know this, I'd find out who got the gun from brother, if I had to give my brother a swirly to find out. If something bad happens with that gun, the paper trail goes to you, not your brother. Remember, the only person looking out for you , is you.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I loaned a SKS rifle to a nephew 10 years ago. I wonder if he still has it? I never filled out a 4473 when I got it. It was a private sale. Too bad for whoever got it from a FFL if Daniel uses it in a criminal act.

You guys worry too much. It is just a effin gun.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I do know this, I'd find out who got the gun from brother, if I had to give my brother a swirly to find out. If something bad happens with that gun, the paper trail goes to you, not your brother. Remember, the only person looking out for you , is you.
    It really doesn't matter where "the paper trail" leads! The op did nothing illegal with the gun!

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    I found out a long time ago about loaning money or guns to my relation. If they do something stupid (like pawning) then it's hard to say something to your relation. If you loan money to your Brother or Son you might as well say I will be giving it to you. So don't think for a minute that you will get it back. So in other words it's your own relation that takes the most advantage of you and if you do anything like court or try to sue them then you hurt their feelings and yours in the long run. I say just say no to money or loaning anything to anybody. If you do they might get mad for a little while but it will pass.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Based on the info you have shared, I would say you made a poor decision. Therefore, you should weigh your options carefully. You loaned a firearm to someone that you know has chemical dependency issues. You even put his name on your trust. Either there's more this story, or you should consider that you should make important decisions more with your head, than your heart.

IMHO, the only action I would take is to report it as stolen. I would do that to hopefully cover your butt if something bad happens with gun. That's all I would do.

I would chalk this up to a lesson. Perhaps someone here can learn from it. Maybe even me.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'd take a big dump on his driver's seat and super glue the locks to start with.
    Since it's your brother there's only so far you're allowed payback but being creative in messing with him should be fun. Sibling rivalries are not for the faint of heart.
    Sorry about the gun. $400 bucks isn't worth losing a brother over. I've received educations that cost a heck of a lot more than that.

Top Bottom