Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    In the event of a natural diaster in Indiana and the authorities were blocking your return to you home or property what would you do? Say you were away from home and the diaster occured and you could get back but the police had a road block up not letting you return to the area because it was not "safe".

What would you do? Would you respect this order? I have often pondered this question, and thought it was going to become a reality in June with the flooding that took place. Call this a hypothetical.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    The circumstances are limitless, small scale, semi short term is what I'm thinking at the moment

My house backs up to farmland and woods so if the immediate area was blocked off I could/would theoretically return easily via the back 40...

If my family was "stuck" at home I would go batshit crazy to return no matter what the circumstances.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For those of us that live in town...different ballgame. There are a few "urban fields" near my place, though. I suppose I could trudge through 'em to the condo.

It happens here in town quite frequently, actually. In the last, what, 6 years there have been 2-3 tornados and one really bad flooding event. In all instances there were roadblocks set up to prevent folks from getting to where they wanted to go.

-J-

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    We have a big field directly behind my property, that also backs into a park. While I might have to park the car and leave it, I think hiking in to my back yard wouldn't be too bad. Less than a mile over pretty much tall grown grass. If things were locked up tight, I could probably get in at night without being detected.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    It really depends upon the Emergency. If it is a chemical spill, or HazMat Response then I would not return until I knew it was safe to breathe. All other emergencies would be considered on a case by case basis.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If my family was at home, they wouldn't be able to stop me (without a lot of backup) from returning to them. I don't normally make such statements, but I'm serious about my loyalty my family and friends.

If no one was home, it would depend on the circumstances and why they really didn't want me returning home.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Happened to my family once, tornado that hit Monticello back in 74. National guard and state police had US24 and a few of the co roads blocked. We used the ditch bank roads I hunted on at the time to weave our way into town. No way were we going to let our property go un guarded.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    if i had my family with me, or knew they were safe somewhere else, i stay equipped to stay a few days pretty much anywhere. if my family was home, there is no way i wouldn't make it home. or to where they were evacuated.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Lets put it this way, I drive a really big truck, good luck for those who try and stop me.

But to be honest, the po-po would let me travel virtually anywhere I needed to go, as I would lie and say that I am on a run for them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd get home through the woods on either side. That's what the GPS and thumper are for. I would avoid confrontation, that's the kind of thing that will bite you back later.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    We don't have enough authorities to block every way I could RTB. Considering I know half of the authorities I might possable be put to work keeping others away from their home. ;)

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    some thing else that helps is knowing all your local law enforcement officers. if you know them then they will take good car of you, and let you through. but if you get that one guy thats an ass. well either way there is always a way around it. my brother inlaws house was blocked off for an air show one day at Mt. Comfort airport. and he was coming home from work and they said he couldnt go to his house. so he parked the car on the side of the road, walked through his field and hopped on his atv and started playing in the field. the cop tried to get him to stop but there was nothing he could because it was his property.

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    The devil of this question is in the details. But taking it at its worst.
    I would never confront folks in authority with out cause. I will do what I think is right for the continued safety of me and mine. If it is so bad that I feel that their lives are in danger. I am going home to my family.

My family has an alternate meeting place. And my wife and I have radios in our cars. Just in case the cell phone doesn't work. This is not the first time I have thought of this.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    road block

It if you were being detained at that location. I would first pray then start thinking of a way to turn around and a place to pull over and grab my GHB and get home as quickly and inconspicious as possible.

Top Bottom