What would you have done living in Boston?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    Falls City Area / Clark County
    The Boston situation has had a lot of discussion here but the mainquestion for me is ...

What would Ihave done?

The situation is...

You are a law-abiding citizen being told to stay inside, lock your doors and don't let anyone in unless you know it is police/FBI etc., There is a maniac on the loose that could harm you.

I have struggled with this one. Thinking of my family, I likely would have complied just as everyone else, but not until I have distributed my household arms to myself, my wife and my son(he is "of age" ) to be certain we are safe from the bad guy.

That leads to...what to do with those guns when the police show up? Hide them? What would their response be if you just laid them on the floor, then put up your hands to show you are currently unarmed. My fear would be that they may confiscate them in the name of "my" safety.

??????? Lots to consider.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    what to do with those guns when the police show up?

I would not point them at the police.:D Just leave them be and you'll be fine.

If the police show up and want to check the garage or the tool shed out back, well, maybe. They won't come in the house but they can stick a nose in the out buildings.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would not point them at the police.:D Just leave them be and you'll be fine.

If the police show up and want to check the garage or the tool shed out back, well, maybe. They won't come in the house but they can stick a nose in the out buildings.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would have the shotguns at arms length.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    First, before we assume we know and start bemoaning the end of life as we know it....what did the police do? Did they barge in and search any home without consent? It seems as though there are a lot of assumptions being made.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    First, before we assume we know and start bemoaning the end of life as we know it....what did the police do? Did they barge in and search any home without consent? It seems as though there are a lot of assumptions being made.

You also need to address the implications of consent at gunpoint.

Sharpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    You also need to address the implications of consent at gunpoint.

Is there an account of houses searched at gunpoint, against the homeowner's will? The mere bearing of arms by police does not count as "gunpoint", by the way. Otherwise, I leave the house and put people at gunpoint every day.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Is there an account of houses searched at gunpoint, against the homeowner's will? The mere bearing of arms by police does not count as "gunpoint", by the way. Otherwise, I leave the house and put people at gunpoint every day.

Am I to suppose that the searches were more voluntary than the evacuation as demonstrated in this example of a man being evacuation from his home during the incident?

picture.php

Sharpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Am I to suppose that the searches were more voluntary than the evacuation as demonstrated in this example of a man being evacuation from his home during the incident?

picture.php

Suppose what you like. It seems that the vast majority of the arguments against the government response in this case are based upon supposition. I am merely asking for facts and clarification. You know what they say about people who "assume" things.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Suppose what you like. It seems that the vast majority of the arguments against the government response in this case are based upon supposition. I am merely asking for facts and clarification. You know what they say about people who "assume" things.

The Boston Globe gets a picture of a man being herded out of his home at gunpoint and you call it an assumption?

I am starting to believe that you are harboring a type of denial predicated on emotional dependency on believing in the benevolence of government.

Sharpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    The Boston Globe gets a picture of a man being herded out of his home at gunpoint and you call it an assumption?

I am starting to believe that you are harboring a type of denial predicated on emotional dependency on believing in the benevolence of government.

I have yet to see this picture or a link. Basing an assertion on a photograph, without context, is still so much speculation.

I do not believe that our government is benevolent, but neither do I believe that they are universally malevolent. I get the feeling that this is not the case with you. Just a guess. :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Oops. I looked through my browsing history. Herald, not Globe. I had been looking at both and others (in addition to clicking links at the bottoms of pages) and got lost/had a memory lapse.

Under siege | Boston Herald

Gun isn't point at him, look at the officer's stance. He's pointing it at something well behind the guy and just turning his head to look in that direction.

Where's the story that says this guy didn't consent to leaving his home?

We sometimes evacuate houses near a SWAT callout, especially if chemical agents may be used (tear gas, etc.). I've never had anyone refuse to consent to do so. A photo of a guy walking by a SWAT officer is, by itself, meaningless.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Boston situation has had a lot of discussion here but the mainquestion for me is ...

What would Ihave done?

Sent my family to the BUG location and went to work. I'm guessing we'd have a full call out for that sort of thing in Indy, and I wouldn't want my family at home without me with something like this going on.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I personally would not have let the police into my house to conduct a room to room search of my home.

At home and unable to leave, I would have already ensured all parts of my house were secure and only persons known to me would be inside.

Now, if the LEO's wanted to search any other building (tool shed, unattached garage, etc...) which could be housing said bomber, they are more than welcome to do so; however, I would not consent to a search of my home.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I guess my first question would be about the gun laws in Boston. If it where to happen here, I would lock all doors and windows and close all blinds and curtains. Then I would arm myself and any able family members. Then its a sit and wait game. As far as searches go, I would probably allow the cops to clear my house if need be. Here in Indiana I wouldn't expect them to disarm me but that's here with our laws. If clearing my house makes them feel better, I have nothing to hide.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There are a few factors not considered, so the answer isn't set in stone, but I'd likely just hole up and use the opportunity to post wicked cool pics on INGO as I snapped them of the officers walking by. Maybe I'd asked one of them to let me pose with the APC/tank/whatever was nearby too.

Is it too much to hope we'll get an answer from Rambone?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have been curious as to how mandatory they were making the searches.

I would hunker down. Wear the Glock on my hip and have the 870 beside me at all times and keep peeking out.

Top Bottom