• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Among all the shooting sports, what would you like to see at Eagle Creek Pistol Range? I'd really like to begin holding IDPA matches, and I love the idea of a monthly steel challenge. I'd also like to have a monthly bowling pin shoot. Each of thse matches could be coordinated around similar activities being conducted by our friends at nearby ranges, such as MCF&G and ACC.

What are your thoughts, INGOers??

Guy

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    First an for most, my wife and I really in enjoyed shooting there a couple of Sunday's ago. The friendly staff was great and it was a pleasure to met you as well.

My .02 cents worth:

1) IDPA
    2) USPSA
    3) Steel

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We have plenty of USPSA and IDPA matches in the state. In fact, you often have to decide among options on a given weekend day.

Eagle Creek is an IDEAL location to shoot NRA Action Pistol. Wildcat is only having three unoffical AP matches this summer and there are no other options in the state and few in the country. One of the thing about NRA AP that is overlooked is that the original GSSF Glock matches were clearly inspired by the Bianchi Cup events and the other AP events. The GSSF matches are hugely popular, but are once a year at any given venue. People who enjoy GSSF would really like AP as well.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'd love to see all of the above, if they can be done without stepping on the other matches in the immediate area. I think there is an opportunity for those in the Indy area that would like to do more than 1 of a given type of match a month, but don't want to drive more than 2 hours.

Just from a personal standpoint, once I move next month, Wildcat, Riley and South central are probably going to be well over 2hrs away. Warsaw and Ft. Wayne right around the 2 hr mark. Atlanta and Eagle creek would be only an hour, give or take. So I'd LOVE to see IDPA, SCSA and USPSA shoot there on complimentary weekends. Pins too. The only pin match in the area I know of is the one at MCFG, and it's a really fun game that I'd like to do more often.

I'm sure there are others in a similar situation. Or perhaps hardcore USPSA guys that would like to do a match on both Sat/Sun. (most USPSA matches seem to run on Sunday) Or vice versa for hardcore IDPA/SCSA guys (usually Sat. Matches)

All in all, I think having a few extra matches would be a good thing, but the scheduling would have to be right for it to work without cannibalizing from other nearby clubs.

Maybe a good idea would be to do a little market research on how far people are willing to drive for a given match, and how many matches a month they would like to do if available. If people are willing to drive 3 hours for a USPSA match, and only do 1-2/month, then maybe that's a need that's already being met by what's out there now. If it turns out that the average shooter will only drive an hour or so, and wants to do 3-4 matches, then the risk of cannibalization would be fairly low and there's sufficient demand there to support it.

Figure out what the demand levels are for a given game, what the average radius of travel is for those games; and you can make a good determination as to what games to run without hurting nearby (as determined by drive time tolerance) clubs.

You could probably do a quick n' dirty version of that research here on INGO with some polls.

Just some random thoughts on it, worth exactly what you paid for them. :)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd like to see something with a course of fire that I could actually practice at a given range not during a competition. If there is a bowling pin competition, I'd want to be able to come in and shoot pins on a given range to practice at non competition times. If its a steel plate match, I'd want to be able to shoot the plates during non match times to get the feel for it and practice.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    I'd like to see something with a course of fire that I could actually practice at a given range not during a competition. If there is a bowling pin competition, I'd want to be able to come in and shoot pins on a given range to practice at non competition times. If its a steel plate match, I'd want to be able to shoot the plates during non match times to get the feel for it and practice.

I definately agree with this ^^^^^^ as the "P" word is hard to do at other times....:popcorn:

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I definately agree with this ^^^^^^ as the "P" word is hard to do at other times....:popcorn:

Ditto here. The problem I have with competitive matches at many ranges is that they require you to perform actions (drawing from holster, movement, engaging multiple targets), that are not allowed at the range outside of the matches themselves.

Understandably, there would be additional safety precautions (and therefore cost) to hosting such an area that would facilitate those options, but any effort to make something like that happen would be greatly appreciated!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A plate rack (or several) that is (are) always available when the range is open would be great for everyone.

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I agree with several others who suggested another USPSA match. I live in Terre Haute and shoot USPSA at Riley, I have gone and shot at South Central and it's a LONG drive. I would embrace another USPSA option. I don't go to Atlanta as it's too far a drive also. If there were a USPSA match at ECPR and it didn't coincide with Riley USPSA or Steel Challenge, I'd go. I"ve never shot a IDPA match, but would be open to trying one.

c2joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Would love to be able to shoot rifles, but would like the plates practice option even better.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Among all the shooting sports, what would you like to see at Eagle Creek Pistol Range? I'd really like to begin holding IDPA matches, and I love the idea of a monthly steel challenge. I'd also like to have a monthly bowling pin shoot. Each of thse matches could be coordinated around similar activities being conducted by our friends at nearby ranges, such as MCF&G and ACC.

What are your thoughts, INGOers??

Guy

My question back would be to narrow down what can be offered, what matches could EC host?

Meaning my first thoughts are USPSA and IDPA almost need a bay you can shoot 180 degrees into dirt berms? Unless you plan on shooting at the concrete walls? your pretty much stuck with only shooting one direction? Also the space needed for 4 or 5 stages? So I think the Steel and bowling pin matches would work, etc.. You don't have access to the two training bays on a normal weekend right?

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Would these matches ( Idpa, pins, plates etc.) cut into normal range time? Or would they run concurrently?

Great question! I really don't want to ever shut down the open public shooting on Bay 1, except for the one weekend for the GSSF match that necessarily takes the entire facility. Whatever else we do, I want to keep normal range time running concurrently.

My only complaint with ECPR over the years was that you couldn't count on it to be open every weekend. Being open and available every weekend is a top priority for me (right after safety) and is a central part of the city's obligations to TFT under our agreement.

Thanks for raising that question!

Guy

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    My question back would be to narrow down what can be offered, what matches could EC host?

Meaning my first thoughts are USPSA and IDPA almost need a bay you can shoot 180 degrees into dirt berms? Unless you plan on shooting at the concrete walls? your pretty much stuck with only shooting one direction? Also the space needed for 4 or 5 stages? So I think the Steel and bowling pin matches would work, etc.. You don't have access to the two training bays on a normal weekend right?

That is an important issue. To your point, we're not ever going to shoot at the concrete walls, so you're right - we really need to only shoot in one direction. The "tac bays" are limited to use by IMPD without specific permission, but they've been great about that so far. Our mutual concern is that we're fully staffed to run everything 100% safely.

It was great to meet you last weekend!

Thanks!

Guy

Top Bottom