What would you say is the best home defense round?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    What ever firearm you plan to use for home defense, get familiar with it. Have it accesable and ready to be used. I have children and my 9mm is locked in a small quick access safe. If I can not access the hand gun, I have a night stick, kali sticks, set of sia's, machette, broom, kitchen knives, mag light, other objects around the home. I would use what I can to protect my loved ones and my self.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Find a caliber that you shoot comfortably and accurately. Then take a class or two and practice, practice, and practice. We could debate until the end of time on what caliber is better. It's up to the individual.

Jetman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Cicero
    Best home defense round

Mossburg 500 pump w/pistol grip, 00 Buck. Works great in the dark at 2am. Only need to be pointed in the proper direction to be effective. Most pf the time the racking of the first shell will have the intruder turning and running.
    Give the 9mm to your wife or daughter.

Jetman

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Mossburg 500 pump w/pistol grip, 00 Buck. Works great in the dark at 2am. Only need to be pointed in the proper direction to be effective. Most pf the time the racking of the first shell will have the intruder turning and running.
    Give the 9mm to your wife or daughter.

Jetman

Hummm

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    The best one is the one you can point shoot and @ 7 yards or less, in 2 to 3 seconds, put three shots into a paper plate sized target and have sufficient penetration to hit bone or vital organs.

In the summer, up north here, a 380, in the dead of winter, maybe a 45ACP.

NO ONE ANSWER FITS ALL.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    When I was working out of town. I got the wife a 20ga single shot for her to use for self defense.

Now she has 3 big dogs that would give up there lives to protect her. So my thought always was that the dogs would hold some one at bay while she grabbed the shot gun.

The shot gun was loaded with number 6 shot. At the ranges it would be used in the house it would put a person down. Yes I know that number four or slugs would work better but she has to be able to use it and not feel like she is going to be punished by the gun or she wont use it.

This past year she had to have a little gun from Ruger it is a 380 with laser sites. I don't like it and it has been hard for her to learn to shoot. I think it is just to small. It has to long a trigger pull and it is stiff to pull. It may get traded for some thing that will work for her better.

What makes a good home defense gun is one that will get practiced with and is capable of doing the job in the intended users hands.

I don't think you can beat a shot gun for home defense. Get the gage and load that you can control and practice. Good luck with what ever you decide. May you or yours never have to use it to defend your selves.

Top Bottom