What would you start with..... Brit moved to the US!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hallg012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2023
    South Bend, IN, USA
    Good evening you fine people on this forum!
    I have been in the USA for 6 years now and I am just in the position that I can now buy open up the flood gates of what I can see being a new hobby.
    This week I have completed my application for the License to Carry Permit (even though maybe more optional now) and will be looking at buying my first Hand Gun.
    So what would you go for first (without breaking the bank)???

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Good evening you fine people on this forum!
    I have been in the USA for 6 years now and I am just in the position that I can now buy open up the flood gates of what I can see being a new hobby.
    This week I have completed my application for the License to Carry Permit (even though maybe more optional now) and will be looking at buying my first Hand Gun.
    So what would you go for first (without breaking the bank)???
    Are you looking for personal protection? Or just dipping the first toe in the shooting waters?

A .22 rimfire is cheap to feed and easy to like because of mild report and negligible recoil. Pistol takes more practice to be consistently accurate than a rifle.
    9mm is easily handled with some practice and practical for self defense.
    Personal preference runs to CZ or Sig/Sauer for me but everyone is different so what fits me may not fit you.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Are you looking for personal protection? Or just dipping the first toe in the shooting waters?

A .22 rimfire is cheap to feed and easy to like because of mild report and negligible recoil. Pistol takes more practice to be consistently accurate than a rifle.
    9mm is easily handled with some practice and practical for self defense.
    Personal preference runs to CZ or Sig/Sauer for me but everyone is different so what fits me may not fit you.
    This! ^^^
    What do you want to do?

Target sports, clay shooting, personal protection, etc.

The possibilities are endless so first decide what is your priority. The opinions here are varied and endless.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Do you have any experience shooting or handling firearms?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Thanks. I hadn't read that thread first.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    It’s very possible you might find someone nearby willing to meet you at a range!
    As a matter of fact

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    First off welcome to the US of A and to the forum.
    Some idea of what your purpose and interests are would be a big help in pointing you in the right direction, and the advise above about joining in for a group meet would most likely get you off to a great start.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Handgun
    I'd recommend the Taurus TX22 full size or compact. Both are excellent shooters, reliable and being 22lr cheap to shoot. You can find them for under $300

Rifle
    Savage FV SR for a bolt action, or the Ruger 10/22 both of these rifles are excellent and under $350.

Welcome to the Colonies :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As a matter of fact

Oooh! This. DEFINITELY go! This place (INGO) is so cool that (most) others will happily let you take what they brought for a spin to see what you like to shoot. Dont be afraid to show up to hang out without a gun. Nobody is going to say anything. INGOers are a friendly bunch.

If you think you might be interested, post up in that thread asking what everyone is bringing to shoot and if you would be allowed to try theirs out. 99.9% of the time they will happily let you shoot their stuff.

Just as a courtesy, once you have a list of what is available for you to try, bring a couple boxes of factory ammo for those guns. While most dont mind you shooting their ammo, its polite to bring your own.

Welcome to freedom, BTW.

Oh, and if you are up for a road trip, This is another fun day. We would be happy to have you.

Last edited:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Welcome to Ingo!

Since you are in South Bend, I would recommend checking out the NWI forum in the break room.

It’s very possible you might find someone nearby willing to meet you at a range!

^^^ and once they get to know ya, would probably meet up with you and allow you to try before you buy. There are a lot of knowledged and experienced firearm owner's on this forum. So set back, ask questions, read replies, and enjoy your 2nd Amendment Right "to bare arms".

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Buy everything ya can! You're American now. Turn the blood red, white and blue! A good .22 savage rifle, a good multi purpose shotgun, like mossberg 500. a good AR-15 so many to choose from. A 1911 cause every American should and a 9mm in glock or sig are my choices. So many to choose from! But like many said above if ya can rent some to see what ya like definitely go that route.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    By all means, attend the INGO meetup on the 20th. You will find a wealth of info and knowledge there. But before you do, decide what the parameters for the use of a your gun ( or guns) would be. Otherwise, you will be totally overwhelmed. You should look into a god training class as well. And keep in mind that a great responsibility comes with gun ownership.

Top Bottom