• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    I purchased a stripped RRA lower at the last Indy 1500 just for giggles ($110). I went with M & A parts for the parts kit (a 24" Varmit Kit, $575). The kit did include a complete upper (so I lied a little bit..., I did not "build" my AR from scratch). My understanding from M&A (AR15 Parts, M16 Parts, Assault Rifles, Tactical Gear M&A Parts, Inc.), was that every upper came head-spaced and "shot" without malfunction.

Okay, so I am now down for $685.

I did have to build the lower with supplied parts, but it went together like magic (had to "borrow" some lithium grease from work for the recoil spring).

After a quick function test and a few rounds down range, it came down to optics (the 24" Varmit is a flat-top design, by the way). I did a lot of research, but a buddy of mine from work suggested one of the new Nikon M-223 scopes ( Nikon Hunting Optics – Nikon Rifle Scopes, Nikon Monarch Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Monarch Scopes and Nikon Accessories!!). I went with the Nikon 3-12x2 SF Matte BDC 600 ($450), along with the recommended scope M-223 scope mount ($100) from Optics Planet (OpticsPlanet.com - Binoculars, Sunglasses, Night Vision Goggles, Riflescopes, Flashlights, Telescopes, Rangefinders, Microscopes - Hunting, Outdoor, Science, & Military Gear).

Now I am down $1235.00. This, of course, did not include the cost of shipping all of the parts to my home. So add another $50...

Luckily, I already have plenty of AR mags and ammo, otherwise the price of this build would go upwards accordingly.

However, at the range, my performance at 100 yards is top-notch. Quarter-sized groups with cheap ammo. Quarter sized groups with expensive ammo as well (so I'm a pretty average shot, trigger control, etc.)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Nice build!!!

Don't feel bad about the final cost because most people will tell you that if you want to be as accurate as possible with a scope, the scope will cost about what you paid for the rifle, and sometimes more!

Very impressive groups!!! I would say your scope matches the rifle nicely! Not to mention your ability having something to do with it too. :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom