• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    A good knife to pass down? Lots of good choices, both fixed blades and folders. I have carried an Uncle Henry folder (got it 30+ years ago back when them made them right) for years as well as a few other lock blades now and then. While I have a number of various styles and sizes to choose from when that time comes, I have already been told that, "I want the one with the fancy handle that has 3 blades that I can put in my pocket like you do". I have better and more expensive ones to choose from, but there is something special about an old folder. And nothing tops having "Grandpa's knife". I know this to be a fact as my grandfather's favorite pocket knife is resting quietly in my dresser drawer in a place of honor with my other knives.

The things I value most from my father are the small personal items he wore, used or carried in his pockets daily. Most of it isn't anything fancy or high value either.

John

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I know I'm late to the game on this, but I thought I'd throw in my opinion. I think a slip joint is the classic knife to hand down. A Great Eastern Cutlery would be awesome, but a Case XX would be nice too. But whatever it is, like that ZT0350, the most important part is that it is YOUR knife, and he sees you use it. Your well used Rough Rider will be more valuable than a new Sebenza to him.

For this reason, marking might not be necessary. But if you do, electro-etching is the most durable method. I'm in the process of building an etcher for my knives, and if you decide to go that route, I will let you use it. You'll just have to have a stencil made.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I know I'm late to the game on this, but I thought I'd throw in my opinion. I think a slip joint is the classic knife to hand down. A Great Eastern Cutlery would be awesome, but a Case XX would be nice too. But whatever it is, like that ZT0350, the most important part is that it is YOUR knife, and he sees you use it. Your well used Rough Rider will be more valuable than a new Sebenza to him.

For this reason, marking might not be necessary. But if you do, electro-etching is the most durable method. I'm in the process of building an etcher for my knives, and if you decide to go that route, I will let you use it. You'll just have to have a stencil made.
    this has me thinking.A friend whom I visit a few times a year has a laser engraver.I have been wanting to give him a Anderson Lower to see if it is powerful enough to burn thru the finish.He says no(8000watts) he says he needs 12,000 watts.i will take a few knives and a lower to experiment on in the near future.Let us know how your etcher works out.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    I have a newer Kabar I bought at the factory in Olean New York. It's not rare or collectable, but it has a good story. I will pass it down one day.

Top Bottom