• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have found fanny pack holsters are good except if you ride hard I don't like the perspiration condensing on the pistol inside the holster. Same problem carrying in a camelback. Fanny pack modified to eliminate waist straps and Velcro straps to bars/frame not bad but reach is awkward. A frame bag just behind the bars seems like a good solution. Or modify the fanny pack holster for frame mounting to top bar just behind handle bars, my wife sews I think I will try this. Pics later.
    They make tool holders that fit on the handle bars that would be perfect for a snubby or small pistol. My wife uses hers to carry tools for her bike, but it's just the right size. Available online or at a decent bike store.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    They make tool holders that fit on the handle bars that would be perfect for a snubby or small pistol. My wife uses hers to carry tools for her bike, but it's just the right size. Available online or at a decent bike store.

Do you know the brand? Topeak and Jannd make some nice bike bags.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Gun will be the Sigma 40cal. or a Taurus 357 5 shot snubby. I have a bag that goes behind the seat and has a small plastic fender on it, and that is where I put my Sigma/wallet/keys/phone on the last long ride, but didn't like the fact that to access it, I would have to stop, get off the bike, unzip the top, etc.
    I do have an old uncle mikes fanny pack that I carried my 1911 in that would work, and I may try that on the next outing.

As I said I am just getting into it and haven't even been to a "real" bike shop yet. lol. I am using a nice Schwinn 21 spd bike that my dad bought several years ago until I can afford to get a nicer one. So far my riding is for good cardio, so while I'm not trying to achieve racing speeds, I am not putzing along either. My last ride was 18 miles on a converted railroad bed that now is a paved "trail". I managed 18 miles in about an hour with a couple stops.
    It was after this trip that I learned about bike shorts.... So I bought a pair from Dunhams until I can get to a bike shop in Indy or somewhere. (any recommendations on a good bike shop?)

I wear biker shorts with regular athletic shorts over them and wear a SmartCarry under the athletic shorts. I slide it to my strong side and it works well and is CC so's not to frighten the sheep. It is comfortable and accessible and can carry a mag and identification.

smartcarry01.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have been known to use my 5.11 Holster Shirt, for which I wrote a review some time back. It still works well for me when I'm biking or running. It can get hot if you have a black one, so be sure you are well hydrated before hitting the trails. Also, if you gain too much weight, it gets tighter, which can restrict breathing—which means you need to start running more, anyway!

I also have been known to simply put my firearm in my CamelBak pocket, but I really prefer to have it in the holster shirt so it is more readily accessible.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The only problem I have with putting a gun in a bag on the bike is in the remote scenario of possibly being separated from the bike before being able to get to my gun. In that regard, I think wearing my piece is tactically better than putting it in a bag on the bike. I don't know that for a fact, just my intuition speaking. One problem with having the gun on my person is that perspiration will condense on it if it is in an enclosed accessory like a fanny pack or camel back.

So far, the most practical option I have found is a common leather OWB belt holster. Since bicycle shorts have no belt loops, I just put the belt around my waist over the bicycle shorts, seems to work just fine, I've found that I don't need the belt loops. My weapon is right there on my strong side if ever I should need it, and if I am separated from the bike then at least I am not separated from my piece. I can still wear a magazine carrier on my belt as well. Since the weapon is not enclosed in a fanny pack or camel back on my person, there is no problem with perspiration condensing on it. But as an alternate method, I am still experimenting with ways to carry on the bike. There are some good ideas in this thread, I will check out some of the products.

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    The only problem I have with putting a gun in a bag on the bike is in the remote scenario of possibly being separated from the bike before being able to get to my gun. In that regard, I think wearing my piece is tactically better than putting it in a bag on the bike. I don't know that for a fact, just my intuition speaking. One problem with having the gun on my person is that perspiration will condense on it if it is in an enclosed accessory like a fanny pack or camel back.

So far, the most practical option I have found is a common leather OWB belt holster. Since bicycle shorts have no belt loops, I just put the belt around my waist over the bicycle shorts, seems to work just fine, I've found that I don't need the belt loops. My weapon is right there on my strong side if ever I should need it, and if I am separated from the bike then at least I am not separated from my piece. I can still wear a magazine carrier on my belt as well. Since the weapon is not enclosed in a fanny pack or camel back on my person, there is no problem with perspiration condensing on it. But as an alternate method, I am still experimenting with ways to carry on the bike. There are some good ideas in this thread, I will check out some of the products.

Good concerns. I also thought about the perspiration messing with it, so I took 2 steps to mitigate that concern.

First, I got the stainless version instead of the blued version. That's paid off well, since I've been using it like this for a few years now and haven't experienced a real problem with rust, yet.

Second, I perform weapons maintenance to clean off the dampness after such an event, or any time I notice a few spots forming.

Just mentioning this for the sake of letting you and other readers know there are other ways to mitigate the problem if you/they ever decide to look into another method.

hoobilly65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Yes their stuff is really nice, lil much just for a bike ride. But I would use it on the trail deffinately!
    I enjoy riding my bike also, so depending on what you carry...

One you could always do a backpack, like the Maxpedition SITKA Gearslinger
    The Link:
    Maxpedition SITKA Gearslinger plus FREE SHIPPING plus FREE HAT. Maxpedition Gearslingers are quality Maxpedition backpacks that are kept IN STOCK and ready to ship.
    Not the quickest, but I like the way it rotates over the body to gain access!

When I ride I usually wear some sort of cargo short. I normally carry my LCP in a pocket holster. Its always on me and its really not an issue when I ride.
    Simply it doesnt get in the way, not to heavy and it fits my attire![/QUOTE]

hoobilly65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Ok, I have recently taken up bicycling and would like to have a holster either on the bike or on my person, but when I ride, I don't wear a belt, so I don't have a belt with which to slide a holster on.
    So, I'm looking for recomendations.
    Best solution as I've talked wi t h many bicyclist and gun owners, get a small fanny pack (kept infront of you obviously) and buy something like a LC9 or Bodyguard or even the new CCP by Walther! The brand is up to you, but Crossbreed makes a mount for what could be attatched to the bike, however this by many is not recommended....

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I would have to recommend the Hill People Gear chest pack as well. It is really comfortable and stays put better than anything else i have used. Anything around your waist while riding a bicycle is going to become a problem when pedaling. IE fanny packs and IWB groin area holsters. The HPG rig utilizes a often overlooked area of the body.

I wear mine when i hike and hunt. It's great for backpacking because it allows you to retain your weapon on your person even when you take off your main pack.

Elflemin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2013
    Greenwood
    I cycle daily, in the 20-30 mile range depending on time. This is road cycling wearing cycling bibs & jersey. What has worked best for me is the 5.11 holster shirt, Amazon.com: 5.11 Tactical S/S Holster Shirt: Sports & Outdoors. I have been wearing this for about 6-8 months and it works quite well. You have buy it to fit rather snug 2/2 to the weight of the pistol and extra mag, makes it a huge PIA to take off after sweating. Prior to this I wore the pistol wear pt-2, Comfortable concealment holster with fitness ? No bounce even in athletic apparel! | Pistol Wear. This worked fair. When down on the drops it was very unconfortable on my abdominal area; therefore, I wore it on the small of my back. The problem there is for use, one would have to spin it around to draw, unless very flexible. Also, my jersey would sometimes ride up exposing it. I highly recommend the 5.11 holster shirt. I works well for me. Mind you, my jerseys are full zip and i rarely have them fully zip, so it is easy to access the firearm. Also, depending on how tight the jersey fits, the pistol does print a little. I have noticed it more in white jerseys than my darker colored ones. However, the movement of you legs distracts from the firearm anyway. This is with a G26 & standard 10 round mag and a fully loaded 15 round extra mag.

emmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Georgetown
    I haven't carried yet when cycling, but I have a small pouch made for under the seat that's mounted to the top tube and head set. I use it to carry my keys and cell phone when I carry it along. It's large enough to also hold my LCP. If I were to carry my LCP along on a ride that's the method I would use. It wouldn't be has quick to access as in my pants pocket, but I don't even like my cell phone on me when I ride.

Dunko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    I have had good luck using my crossbreed IWB. I have a Glock 17 and usually wear bike shorts and shorts with a draw string over them. I ride a road bike in the aero position for the most part and cary at about the 3:00 position. The 2 clips on the crossbreed hold it just fine and while the draw is a little different due to the give and not having a sturdy gun belt but with a little practice it works fine. I agree with some of the other posters in that I like having quick access. I used to cary a back pack and keep it in there but i have over 300 miles with it at the 3:00 and have had no problems.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    I throw my LCP in a Blackhawk pocket holster, then tuck it into the back pockets on the jersey. Fits perfectly and doesn't feel to heavy

Top Bottom