What's a normal number of failures to extract?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Smith will take care of it. Contact their warranty dept. and send it in for repair.

FTE's are unacceptable, and you should have ZERO with WWB.

All the above are correct. should be in the zero range.
    On my first Glock 34 I had exactly 1 FTE using Remington UMC, I sold that gun with about 4k rounds through it.

Also, anything mechanical can and will fail, so it's good to practice drills specifically for these types of malfunctions - maybe you can sell/trade it to a training school and they can have it be their "FTE training device" :)

dirtdigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    Better than 6k rounds through my full size 9mm M&P. Zero fail anything.
    I've used every variant of ammo from my carry ammo to the cheapest crap I could buy.
    Send it back to S&W. They'll sort it out.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy

Run any gun long enough or hard enough and it will fail. Under good circumstances with good ammo there shouldn't be any failures.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    As another has said, Winchester ammo might be the problem. I've seen 3 M&P autos that had issues at matches while shooting WWB or reloaded Winchester brass. I've also witnessed an SR9 and a Beretta 92 have problems while using Winchester yet the guns will cycle every other ammo/brass without question. It may honestly not be the gun as much as the brass; it is possible to have a completely reliable gun and get the odd out of spec brass so I wouldn't throw the M&P away just yet but I'm betting you switch to Blazer or Federal or any other and you might just clear up your issues. Keep us posted when you can.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    What kind of 9MM ammo are you using, if I may ask?

I was wondering the same thing.

I was also wondering about grip.

My wife has her grandfather's Beretta 950 (circa 1953) in .25 ACP. She sometimes gets stovepipes. I've never had one, even though we're both firing from the same box of Remington ammo. A firm grip makes a difference with that gun.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I was wondering the same thing.

I was also wondering about grip.

My wife has her grandfather's Beretta 950 (circa 1953) in .25 ACP. She sometimes gets stovepipes. I've never had one, even though we're both firing from the same box of Remington ammo. A firm grip makes a difference with that gun.

I thought it might be my grip, but I shoot an identical gun in .40 failure free. I would think that would be even more unforgiving of grip issues.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I thought it might be my grip, but I shoot an identical gun in .40 failure free. I would think that would be even more unforgiving of grip issues.

Why would a hotter round be more unforgiving? Weak loads and weak grip.

Top Bottom