• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Newton Conn happened and gun control was front and center. AR 15s were a hot topic and potential bans were floated. Shops sold out and bare bones mp-sports were going up in the classifieds here for $1250.

We now have a similar massacre; similar noise for gun control and tv personalities describing ar15 automatic assault rifles capable of 700 rounds a minute out of their 40 round clips.

Stores are stocked; classifieds are quiet. What's changed? Is everyone at capacity in their safes? Is there a massive glut in supply? Do we see the calls for control as the bs they are since we've been there done that?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I stopped by Cabela's yesterday to see what they were getting for pmags. For AR/5.56 all they had were 10rnd. But they had plenty of ammo, including .22LR. No good deals on the calibers I'm interested in. I walked away with nothing. I'd have probably paid what they were asking to pick up some of everything I shoot if it were like it was after the Newtown shooting. Still wouldn't have bothered with the 10rnd pmags though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Newton Conn happened and gun control was front and center. AR 15s were a hot topic and potential bans were floated. Shops sold out and bare bones mp-sports were going up in the classifieds here for $1250.

We now have a similar massacre; similar noise for gun control and tv personalities describing ar15 automatic assault rifles capable of 700 rounds a minute out of their 40 round clips.

Stores are stocked; classifieds are quiet. What's changed? Is everyone at capacity in their safes? Is there a massive glut in supply? Do we see the calls for control as the bs they are since we've been there done that?

Because the market is still incredibly soft. Demand hasn't gone up because all of the people who wanted ARs or thought they might want one in the next 20 years already bought three. They've been trying to unload two at inflated prices ever since.

Also probably because of the Chicken Little effect. The sky wasn't falling last time we were told it was, or the time before that, or the time before that. It's probably not falling this time, either.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Because the market is still incredibly soft. Demand hasn't gone up because all of the people who wanted ARs or thought they might want one in the next 20 years already bought three. They've been trying to unload two at inflated prices ever since.

Also probably because of the Chicken Little effect. The sky wasn't falling last time we were told it was, or the time before that, or the time before that. It's probably not falling this time, either.

This is probably true. It's just not a winning issue right now. I think a lot of the posturing by Congress is political theater. That doesn't mean we don't need to stay vigilant and keep on our representatives.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I feel like there's less talk about it than post-Newtown. Sure, the President is giving some moments to it, but right afterwards it's back to our regularly scheduled programming.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

The sky didn't fall because of a lot of action by gun owners to prevent it from falling. It didn't just happen that way. There will be 4 votes coming up on Monday in Congress, each of which is aimed at restricting our gun rights. Definitely no time to be complacent.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Because everyone knows Obama is full of crap, does not have the a-- to get anything passed and has minimal credibility on anything. The man can't get anything right and everyone knows that he does not have a clue. Our president is an incredibly foolish man.:noway:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The sky didn't fall because of a lot of action by gun owners to prevent it from falling. It didn't just happen that way. There will be 4 votes coming up on Monday in Congress, each of which is aimed at restricting our gun rights. Definitely no time to be complacent.
    Can you give us a run down? I haven't seen a lot of specific talk on it on the news or INGO.

EDIT: M'kay found it http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/stage-set-major-senate-showdown-gun-policy

Looks like we've got: Universal background checks, a 3-day waiting period for those on a watch list, a total no-buy for those on a watch list, and one expanding databases to notify law enforcement if somebody suspected of terror links tries to buy a gun.

All are predicted to fail miserably, but let's stay vigilant.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sure. It is hard to get details as they are still throwing together legislation. That is how anti-gun measures seem to pass recently, as "emergency measures". It is a rehash of old and/or dishonest gun control legislation.

1- Reinstitute an assault weapons ban.
    2- Federal registration of gun owners.
    3- Eliminate gun rights for those on secret watch lists.
    4- Funding anti-gun research.

That is why you need to contact your legislators right away.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Because everyone knows Obama is full of crap, does not have the a-- to get anything passed and has minimal credibility on anything. The man can't get anything right and everyone knows that he does not have a clue. Our president is an incredibly foolish man.:noway:

You look at things differently when your big concern is your golf handicap.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The sky didn't fall because of a lot of action by gun owners to prevent it from falling.

Sure, but that's not the question nor the implication of my post. It's just human nature to grow complacent when predicted tragedies don't occur. The Boy Who Cried Wolf and Chicken Little remain timeless for that reason.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I witnessed three other rifle transactions in the 45 minutes I was at Cabela's last Monday buying a bolt gun. All three of them were AR types. A Sig and two S&Ws. People are buying but it's still a buyer's market.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    LGS I frequent is all out of AR Mags, & down to 4 ARs, had 12+ late last week. They said it hadn't been a frenzy, but steady flow of "AR type goodies" buyers.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    This time, it's not the ARs, but the ammo (in case quantities).

My favorite online suppliers were slow as molasses as soon as the news hit and by the afternoon, were sold out of case quantities of quality brass 5.56

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

Gun owners are sick of the price gougers out there? They've learned not to buy at these times, finally.

Top Bottom