• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Inspired by an experience at Woodland Brutality, where I had to mitigate a stuck case issue using just what I had on hand. Luckily, I had thrown a cheapie cleaning kit with a multipiece rod in my pack, but it made me think:

What do YOU pack in terms of cleaning and servicing supplies for your rifle when you know you will be out at some event or on a trip for several days and won't have access to Walmart and Cabelas?

The non-negotiables for me:

-Multipiece cleaning rod long enough to reach the bolt face with enough excess out the muzzle to smack it for clearing stuck cases

-Gun oil

-Whatever tools are necessary to remove a failed optic and install the backup sighting system, i.e. torx or hex wrench for the optic mount

What do you bring along? What do you think is non-negotiable, nice to have, or you could do without?

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    In addition to the obvious "eyes, ears, ammo & weapons", I take these items to the Range, each time I go:
    Brass Cleaning rod of appropriate length(the Aluminum multipiece won't stand up to much "smacking")
    Screwdriver set & Torx head set
    Smallish Weighted Rubber Mallet
    WD 40
    Needle-nosed Pliers
    Decent sized pocket knife

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Inspired by an experience at Woodland Brutality, where I had to mitigate a stuck case issue using just what I had on hand. Luckily, I had thrown a cheapie cleaning kit with a multipiece rod in my pack, but it made me think:

What do YOU pack in terms of cleaning and servicing supplies for your rifle when you know you will be out at some event or on a trip for several days and won't have access to Walmart and Cabelas?

The non-negotiables for me:

-Multipiece cleaning rod long enough to reach the bolt face with enough excess out the muzzle to smack it for clearing stuck cases

-Gun oil

-Whatever tools are necessary to remove a failed optic and install the backup sighting system, i.e. torx or hex wrench for the optic mount

What do you bring along? What do you think is non-negotiable, nice to have, or you could do without?
    Thats the main reason The Marine Corps went back to a steel put together cleaning rod and kit.
    Like they used to use. One can't remove a broken case with an Otis cleaning kit.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Thats the main reason The Marine Corps went back to a steel put together cleaning rod and kit.
    Like they used to use. One can't remove a broken case with an Otis cleaning kit.
    Yep. Steel cleaning rods tear up guns, but that's why you use a pull-through for cleaning. There is no substitute for a steel rod when you need to beat a case out of the chamber. It's also useful for mounting a chamber brush, as you don't damage the bore or crown doing that.

Haven't tried it personally yet, but I hear paint can openers are a great tool for prying cases out through the ejection port.

Top Bottom