• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jb142

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    What's the going rate for 7.62 x 39 Norinco Yellow Box steel core ammo these days? They are 20 rounds per box.

jb142

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    I was told gun stores can't sell them because they are steel core. I don't have anything to shoot them and thought I'd try and "cash in" on the banpanic and sell them or trade for something I can use.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    It is not AP ammo. The steel core is soft, like coat hanger wire. ComBloc steel core bullets are made this way because tons of steel are much cheaper than tons of Lead.

NORINCO ammo is excellent quality ammuntion....but the steel core ball does not offer any SIGNIFICANT penetration advantage over lead core ball. When you can shoot 2 3 or 4 lead core ball rounds into the target for the price of ONE "steel core" round....you can see there is no advantage at all.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I'm interested as well. Pre crazy I used to see these at gun shows for $20 for 20. Don't know now. Properly called collector ammo. Joq867 is correct core is dead soft steel. Sorry OP. meant to say welcome and forgot. Welcome to INGO although I see you have been here awhile. None the less.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I'm interested as well. Pre crazy I used to see these at gun shows for $20 for 20. Don't know now. Properly called collector ammo. Joq867 is correct core is dead soft steel.

Yup, pre craze (and even now) I would generally see it sell for about a buck a round.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    :welcome: :ingo:

I have a fair amount of that stashed away. Might trade it for some 223 or M2 Ball if I can find any.

Top Bottom