• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Green04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    Hello INGO, i was wondering what would be the best .44mag round to hunt with, im useing a H&R Handi Rifle .44 mag 22inch barrel sighted in at 100 yards, i was thinking hornady but which one? also if anyone has any theyv loaded themselves pm me please.:ar15::ar15:

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I had 44 a mag Handi until recently. I used 240 gr. XTPs with good success. Also used Nosler 240 gr. JFP. Both performed well on deer.

I never shot factory loads in mine.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    H&R's are 1-38 twist, which will be fine for 210gr-240 gr at 100 yards.

FYI, they pattern 3" at 150 with a 310 GR Hard cast bullets, which is good enought for deer, bears, or hogs, if you do your part

Marlin 444's have the same twist in the barrel, and 265 gr will shoot one in at 100 yards.

JRPLANE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Hagerstown, Indiana

I started out reading magazines, they suggested 300 hard cast @ about 1500 fps. I loaded a few they are awesome but they are hard on the hand and gun. I went back to target loads for whitetail's , I have taken quite few with mildly load 240 semiwad cutters, all one shot kills.

I'm shoot a colt annaconda 8"

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    If you do not handload and expect to make fairly long shots I would consider the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo first. Mainly because of the ballistic coefficient is far better than a plain 240 grain flat point or hollow point bullet for long range accuracy. You get guranteed expansion (due to the soft plastic insert) as well.

If you handload, I favor the Hornady 265 grain flat point semi jacketed bullet. It is their interlock design, and I have never seen or heard of jacket seperation from the lead. I use this bullet in both the .44 Mag 1:38 twist rifle, and the .444 Marlin 1:38 twist rifle as well and in both cases with excellent results on deer and hogs. Nearly always perfect expansion and seldom is a second shot required.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I've found the 250 Grain JSP Magtech were the only factory rounds that would group worth a darn in my Marlin 1894 .44 (same STOOOPID twist rate as the Handi-Rifle.) I love everything about this rifle except for the slightly oversized barrel and drastically too slow twist. I had considered a Handi, until I found it had the same problem.

The price on them is really good, compared to LeveRevolution and some of the other specialty bullets. I just don't see shooting over 120-150 yards and the bullet doesn't make much difference that far.

I was able to keyhole 300 grain bullets at 100 yards. :rolleyes:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Winchester WHITE BOX 240 GRAIN jsp. Sounds like I am being cheap and I am but they work wonderful on deer. For factory ammo that is a good starting point.

I can handload up for bear or hogs, they winchesters work fine.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I don't think the deer know if you are being cheap or not. I personally love getting 50 rounds cheaper than some brands box of 20. I'm not cheap, I'll pay for good value. Sometimes that comes cheaply. :)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you do not handload and expect to make fairly long shots I would consider the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo first. Mainly because of the ballistic coefficient is far better than a plain 240 grain flat point or hollow point bullet for long range accuracy.

You would think so, with all the money they put into advertising hype about the ammo being flatter shooting and all. But in few minutes on their web site you'll find this:

.430" FTX 240gr BC = 0.150
    .430" XTP 240gr BC = 0.205

.357" FTX 140gr BC = 0.160
    .357" XTP 140gr BC = 0.169

If you look at lever action rifle bullets what you say is true; if you're looking at pistol bullets, it's not.

Also take into account that you have to trim your brass shorter for reloading to get your rifle to cycle the ammo, and now you've got less space for powder.

So how exactly is the FTX flatter shooting than the XTP? Lower BC and less room for powder?

Nope. It doesn't add up.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I shoot hornady 240 gn XTP with a CCI large pistol magnum primer 22.5 gns. winchester 296 powder. I get about 1600 fps at the muzzle. this load slobberknocks the deer. Flipped a doe completly over on her back. I'm shooting a Marlin 1894. You will have to try different loads/factory ammo to find out what your gun likes best. Factory ammo that was the best for me was the 240 XTP custom, 225 leverevolution, Winchester 240 jsp white box, and Federal fusion 240 grn. shoot lots and good luck!

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    You would think so, with all the money they put into advertising hype about the ammo being flatter shooting and all. But in few minutes on their web site you'll find this:

.430" FTX 240gr BC = 0.150
    .430" XTP 240gr BC = 0.205

.357" FTX 140gr BC = 0.160
    .357" XTP 140gr BC = 0.169

If you look at lever action rifle bullets what you say is true; if you're looking at pistol bullets, it's not.

Also take into account that you have to trim your brass shorter for reloading to get your rifle to cycle the ammo, and now you've got less space for powder.

So how exactly is the FTX flatter shooting than the XTP? Lower BC and less room for powder?

Nope. It doesn't add up.

Ya know you are right about that as I went and looked myself. I shoot the 265 FTX as well (in the 444) and must've gotten myself confused as I was working from memory while at work today when I replied so I appreciate you straightening that out. I don't like giving bad advice.

When shooting the 225's in my Marlin it groups very well at 100 yards and the recoil is quite comfortable. I shot a Cayote with the 225 and it was a mess. (indicating bullet expansion was significant) I do agree in that it is quite interesting to see that the BC is lower on the 225, however I suspect that is due to the shorter bearing surface (its just a tad shorter) that I just visually observed in my shop just now as I sat one bullet right next to the other.

As you mentioned... I do not like the fact the cases are .010 shorter than a standard .44 magnum case either, but I seperate the brass to keep them associated with the bullet of choice. (I like the FTX for Cayotes and save the 265's for hogs). The short case issue is applicable to the .444 (I don't know if it's .010 or even shorter as I cannot recall off hand). As to the 265 grn FTX once I'm out of those bullets I'm done with them. I see no advantage over them and the 265 grain flat point. As to powder capacity when using the shorter case -- I suspect that depends on the burn rate of the powder you use in whether it is a hinderance or not in determining the maximum cup pressure. I need to get the 8th edition Hornady manual to see.

So...I guess the commercial 240 grain XTP rounds or 225 grains FTX rounds would work for a fella just depending on what he wants. When shopping I see about a $3 difference in the XTP and FTX prices so a fella could certainly save some money going the XTP route.

Thanks again for the observation!

Last edited:

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    My Marlin 1894 likes Hornady 240gr XTP's over 22.5gr of H110, from the bench she is sub-moa at 100yds. Double lunged a buck last fall at about 50yds and he dropped in his tracks and didn't make another move. Love the light, fast handling levergun.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    My Marlin 1894 likes Hornady 240gr XTP's over 22.5gr of H110, from the bench she is sub-moa at 100yds. Double lunged a buck last fall at about 50yds and he dropped in his tracks and didn't make another move. Love the light, fast handling levergun.

I'll write that recipe down... good to know as I use a 1894 too.

Top Bottom