• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Badly Bent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    been reloading for a couple rifle calibers and my 9mm but im wanting to expand, so i guess i need to buy a manual.... what is the best "all around" manual to get? i learned how to reload what i got from a good friend but he passed away a year ago and im on my own now so i need to learn on my own..... thanks

swanny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    Bent,

There is no one best manual. When you are trying to look up data for a recipe it might be in one book but not another. ( E.G. the Nosler manual would probably be better than the Hornady manual if you are trying to find load data on a specific Nosler bullet. ) Lots of people like the Lyman 49th as a starting point though I've heard good things about the Hornady book is good as well. For load data Hodgdons website is pretty good for their powders.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I would say Lyman and the Lee manuals give you the best overview os reloading as well as a good selection of data to reload. The Lee manual is going to be strictly Lee equipment but it isn't hard to use it to refer to as a general use manual as well. The Lyman is far more general in its approach. Even though I use and prefer Lee Equipment myself, the Lyman manual give the best over view for both reloading and casting IMO. You can download a reloading guide basics in PDF Form from the Lyman front page as well if you want to give that a look.

I hope you try to keep your mind in safe mode. Even though you have some experience, your mentor is gone. Do you know anyone else there that reloads and would help? It is a good idea to have a manual but it is a better idea to have a manual and a mentor. :twocents:

I have a lot of manuals, the ones from the bullet companies are great for their bullets but don't do a lot of teaching. As I say, get the Lyman and you will be happy with it, at least IMO.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Grab a modern reloading #1(or #2) by LEE and a SPEER #13. Both are not the newest manuals out their, but they read like darn good books that u can get a ton of helpful info from.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I have the Hornady, Speer and Lyman. The Hornady is my favorite (at the moment).

It is good to have more than one for several reasons:

1) Cross-checking. Tpyos and errors occur so it is good to check a recipe in more than one book.
    2) Options. Different manuals use different firearms for testing and will sometimes include different powder type options.
    3) Wording. Sometimes changing the wording of an explanation changes "Huh?" to "Now I get it!".

KevinJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I started in the 80s with I believe a Lyman and shortly thereafter added a Hornady. In the past 2 years I bought an updated Hornady, Speer, Lee, Sierra, and one or two others> You can learn something from all of them.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have a variety of reloading books and cherish every one of them. A good book, no matter what kind, is a treasure. I never settle on a load w/o referencing at least 2 sources, if possible. Lyman's 49th is an excellent first choice, then buy the manual that actually goes along with your bullets. If you accumulate half a dozen of them you'll become more of a student of reloading...and there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The Berger book is excellent if you want to really understand ballistics and what it takes to hit something at a distance. I bought it and was absolutely amazed at the wealth of information in it about how each different element of the load effects how it performs as well as how the rifling and the rifle itself plus the conditions effect the flight of the bullet downrange. It discuses bullet design and how to choose the right bullet for your rifle and the prevailing conditions in your area. It is a book I will be buying each and every release of as time passes.

I have both Lee books as well as a couple of the Lyman's this latest one and the one before it along with a Sierra, Hornady and Nosler manual plus several 3 ring binders on downloaded data and information from LoadDataDotCom which is a Data Exchange site I am a member of that not only has loads from most of the newest manuals from all of the bullet, powder & equipment companies but a lot of great articles on the art of reloading and casting written by all of the greats. I have spent many hours printing a whole lot of info and data off of that site then reading it. I then put it all in those clear covers so the pages stay nice and bind them in 3 ring binders for posterity. Easch area then gets a divider so I know where to look for the information I need when ai am working on a new load for something.

I'm with Broom here, the printed word, on paper, is a treasure to be kept, referred to as needed and passed down to your heirs. It is always available, even when the power is off or you can't be near a computer or one with an internet connection. Sure, I have an e-reader but I will always have printed books as well. I just think they are better somehow. :)

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Start with Lyman and read it twice. Then I check my starting loads against Lyman, Hornady, and what comes free with my Lee dies.

Lyman exposes you to many parts of reloading, I just read the section on casting again this weekend.

No book will tell you the magic recipe and remember that the max load does not equal the best load.

Top Bottom