What's the best way/place to buy a new iPhone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Merry Christmas, INGO.

I haven't had to shop for a phone in a LONG time as I've always had a company provided cell on a company negotiated plan. My wife has too as we both worked for the same company.

She recently switched jobs and now has a super old iPhone 4 that is dying. We want to get her a new phone but I see there are a bunch of different places and ways to buy an iphone.

Looks like if you buy one directly from one of the carriers and sign up for a two year plan they subsidize the phone? Would they give her anything for her old bricked phone? Is it worth changing carriers or at least talking to the other carriers to negotiate a rate?

I also see places like Best Buy, etc. will sometimes offer store credits if you buy the phone and sign up through them..? Are there benefits to doing it that way?

Costco sells phones to but I don't know what advantage that would be.

She would consider a 6 or 7, is currently on AT&T, but is open to other carriers. Looks like if you just buy it at retail price right out the door it's around $700 or $800.

I'm sure there are many on here that have done the research and know the best way to go about this. I would really appreciate any insight INGO has.

God Bless

dn

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have been happy with Virgin Mobile. You buy the phone but there is no contract. When I got involved their monthly fee was significantly lower than were I was (AT&T). So even though I spent about $400 on my phone I broke even in eight (8) monthes saving $50 per month.

I haven't shopped any since then as Virgin has been reasonable.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas,

Doug

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I have been happy with Virgin Mobile. You buy the phone but there is no contract. When I got involved their monthly fee was significantly lower than were I was (AT&T). So even though I spent about $400 on my phone I broke even in eight (8) monthes saving $50 per month.

I haven't shopped any since then as Virgin has been reasonable.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas,

Doug

Hey Doug. That sounds like a great idea as we don't plan to finance it or anything like that. And I see their data plans are indeed considerably cheaper.

How is is your coverage with Virgin? I don't know many people currently using them in my circles.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In all civilized areas my coverage is just fine.

The only place I have some issues with coverage is down at the pond I go to, about two (2) miles SE of the intersection of Hwy 101 & 124. There, thee (3) out of four (4) neighbors are Amish. I still get service but it IS spotty.

All other civilized regions have been good.

When I drove to Louisville for the machinegun shoot coverage was fine from Ft .Wayne all the way there. When I drove to the largest gunshow in America in Tulsa from Ft. Wayne I never had any issues. On that drive I would detour down to Branson Missouri to visit a friend and in the hills coverage was fine.

I was a bit leery myself but a good friend who is quite sharp had been using Virgin for several years and she had no issues. I switched and haven't looked back.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Doug

Top Bottom