What's the point of little .22? (and other questions)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    My father had a soft spot for these. He had several little .22 pistols - little, like the size of my hand. I get that they'd be easy to carry and conceal, but are they really any use for self-defense? I suppose something is always better than nothing...

What are your opinions of Jennings or Phoenix Arms or Bryco?

Is there any way to identify random magazines? We turned up about a dozen over the course of the weekend, and I have no idea which guns they might have belonged to.

Man, I wish I had someone I could just talk to about this stuff. Thanks for putting up with me!

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Man, I wish I had someone I could just talk to about this stuff. Thanks for putting up with me!
    I know what you mean.

But I've heard 22s are good to carry because the are so small and their velocity is so low that they can enter the body, and mess up the organs it hits because it spins around in there and loses all of its speed. and is stays in the body.

But thats just what I've heard.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My brother saw a biker in a bar(who was getting ready to mess some guy up) who weighed about 300 lbs get shot in the chest with a .22. It didn't kill him, but it sure took the fight out of him.

He grabbed his chest and sunk to his knees. Fight over.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    but are they really any use for self-defense? I suppose something is always better than nothing...

What are your opinions of Jennings or Phoenix Arms or Bryco?

Better than nothing is a good way to describe it. All of those are cheap and sometimes shoot. Sometimes they shoot a second time. Sometimes not. :D

I don't see the use of the NAA Revolvers, unless you need SERIOUS hideout. However, anything that hurls a piece of lead at high velocity is going to make some type of impression. It may not stop the attacker. It may just make them more set on killing you. :dunno:

Many .22s can cause fatal wounds. It is less common for them to create fast incapacitation wounds. The stops from getting shot from these are often mental stops, not physical stops. You took the fight out of the person. If, however, you are going against someone who can absorb hits mentally (drugs, will to live, etc.) they may die, but not till after they have killed you or given you fatal wounds as well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if i had to pick between getting in a gun fight with somone who had a 22 with thousands of rounds threw it, or somone with 45 who never shot it due to ammo costs or left it on the dresser because it was so big id rather go up against the 45:twocents:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

You just found 25,000 people that LOVE to talk about this stuff. :D

Post pics of the magazines, we love the "help me identify this part" threads. It is almost like a game around here. They look random unless someone happens to have that exact gun, to them it may be obvious.

Tutorial for posting pics:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ade_here/29929-posting_pictures_tutorial.html

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    if i had to pick between getting in a gun fight with somone who had a 22 with thousands of rounds threw it, or somone with 45 who never shot it due to ammo costs or left it on the dresser because it was so big id rather go up against the 45:twocents:

A large amount of truth to that. Kind of in the same realm of fearing the man with only one rifle. :D

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I wouldn't carry a Jennings, Bryco or any of those cheap .22s but Beretta and Taurus make some nice little pistols. I love carrying mine because of the ease of concealment. If I'm gonna be in a bad area or somewhere unfamiliar at night I'll carry a more powerfull gun though.:twocents:

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    I'll second that as long as the brand and model are proven reliable, there are few things on this earth more useful and valuable than a .22lr pistol that you can shoot well.

(except maybe a 10/22 and a duffel bag full of BX25s, eh? :) )

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You have stumbled on the only firearm law I would like to see. All magazines must be marked as to which firearm they are used in. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me "but I was told it would work in my pistol, but it doesn't" I would be able to afford a really expensive rifle.

There is one other thing that makes a .22 worth having as a back up protection piece. Someone shot with it would most likely seek medical treatment, where the police would be able to easily arrest them. Just hope it gives you enough time to escape.

As for the manufacturers mentioned, in their case, every now and then they might make a good one. :D With the major manufacturers of .22 handguns, like Browning, Beretta, etc. that statement is just the opposite, every now and then they make a bad one.

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    Get a good quality .22 pistol for easy conceal , lo-recoil/ fast second shot, low cost to shoot. If pointed at someone they are not going to laugh at the small caliber.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Having a good knife kind of takes it to the next level, close and personal.
    At least with even a .22, you can slightly distance yourself and in worse cases run like hell!

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Quality 22 is always a better choice than nothing at all. The only hand gun I have shot more than my 22 LR is my 45 ACP. When I used to reload. I had a Dillon Square Deal set up for 45 ACP only.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Many .22s can cause fatal wounds. It is less common for them to create fast incapacitation wounds. The stops from getting shot from these are often mental stops, not physical stops. You took the fight out of the person. If, however, you are going against someone who can absorb hits mentally (drugs, will to live, etc.) they may die, but not till after they have killed you or given you fatal wounds as well.
    I love it when someone asks about a round and all this stuff gets said over and over.. Care to back it up?

I'm not just picking on you, Joe, as many have said it other than you.

Now, everyone, take a breath, a drink of coke, and put your reading glasses on. Here is an ACTUAL STATISTICAL ANALYSIS of REAL LIFE SHOOTINGS. Read it, come back, share what you take away from it.

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    NAA

My NAA 22 magnum, is something that can go with me anywhere. Excellent quality, and five rounds.
    Much better than a cheapy 22 or derringer.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I love it when someone asks about a round and all this stuff gets said over and over.. Care to back it up?

I'm not just picking on you, Joe, as many have said it other than you.

Now, everyone, take a breath, a drink of coke, and put your reading glasses on. Here is an ACTUAL STATISTICAL ANALYSIS of REAL LIFE SHOOTINGS. Read it, come back, share what you take away from it.

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Here's what I took from it. 31% of people shot with a .22 were not incapacitated no matter how many shots they took. With a .40S&W, that number drops to 13%.

Conclusion: I'll carry my Glock 23 and leave the High Standard for the range. As far as "pocket .22s? Useless. :twocents:

Top Bottom