What's the strangest/scariest thing you've ever experienced in the woods?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I grew up on the opposite ridge from Goosetown across deer creek.
    I been up there several times. Old foundations of cabins are still there.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Working in the woods I have found everything. Meth labs, Mary Jane, sex shack/bunker, sex cave/rock shelter, creepy imbred dude following me from a distance with a slug gun, etc etc......... I've yet to see squatch or a mountain lion and I've been over 1000's & 1000's of acres.
    Mountain lion's are favorite pets of sasquatch so you may see them both at the same time. Keep a watch over your shoulder.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ...omg..looks like my Bigfoot is building a winter shelter....lol....yeah, cleaning up brush and got bored!

Attachments

• 20231108_073748_kindlephoto-83058029.jpg
      20231108_073748_kindlephoto-83058029.jpg
      955.4 KB · Views: 21

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    It has been a while since any of our fellow wood walkers have posted any harrowing tales. Anyone care to add to the pile? I'll start...

During my high school spring break in 2012 when I was a Junior, me and 3 other close friends went on a trip to Brookville Indiana area. My best friends grandma and grandpa lived in a holler around there. So being in a holler, the back yard is one big steep hill. The hill is basically all this tall grass and locust trees until the top where there is a proper forest.

There's actually an 18th/19th century family graveyard up this hill but that's beside the point. (Creepy place to visit)

So after an afternoon of shooting followed by gun cleaning, followed by a few underaged adult beverages... we were standing around the burn barrel facing the hill. It was about 9PM and the sky was very clear so we were all looking at the stars as we talked and smoked hand rolled pipe tobacco cigarettes.

I was the first to notice a bright light in the sky above the canopy. The light was much bigger than that of any aircraft lights and it undulated between a few colors, orange, green and blue. This thing first went in a straight line and then it danced up and down in a gravity defying fashion above the treeline. The way I describe it is like those old sing-a-long-song tapes I saw as a kid where the lyrics are displayed on the bottom of the screen and a ball bobs up and down on each syllable. Picture the way a bouncy ball bounces up and down as it rolls. It seemed relatively high altitude, maybe the same altitude that I see jets approaching to land at Cincy/KY when I'm in Ripley county. What it honestly reminds me of in hindsight is a TOW wire guided missile, only being aimed around eratically and going wild, instead of holding the optic on a far target and keeping it very steady.

It made no noise, left no streak in the sky and and it zoomed over the horizon in the blink of an eye. Then about 15 minutes later, we noticed the even weirder thing.... Jets. 3-5 Jets. They were flying in different directions but they seemed to be military judging by the fact that they lacked any normal blinking lights that we're used to seeing on jetliners. They were single engine with the only thing visible being the afterburner and streaks.

So basically in a nutshell we saw a very unusual bright light that displayed unconventional maneuvers, followed buy multiple military jets that seemed to be scanning the area.

Hopefully an Air Force member or Air National Guardsman will see this and tell me what the hell we saw, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I think it was something strange.

(I hope you don't mind the bump)
    There is some really spooky stuff that goes on around Franklin county after dark!

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Not sure if this fits.

Bonnell at 5th Bridge.

When I had just Came home from Basic, years ago.
    My Brother and his buddies wanted to go to 5th Bridge on Halloween night to find Mary.
    Since I didn't drink at the time they convinced me to take them.
    For those not familiar, there is an Urban Legend, about a woman named Mary that got killed on the tracks looking for her baby that got out.
    If you call out "Mary I got your Baby" she will appear.

Anyways, as I take them to 5th bridge, they decide to stop at a graveyard and goof around(Found out later after the fact that they were knocking over grave stones). We get to the site, they pile out and climb up to the tracks yelling "Mary we got your baby."

While this is going on, a guy comes walking up the road and starts up a conversation with me.
    The unusual thing is he says he knows me and starts talking about me and my family.
    Then he gets this look on his face, and says "Paul(my Brother) and those guys should not have done what they did and should not anger Mary." Then bids me a good night and walks off into the dark.
    About a minute later, there is Shriek and my Brother and his buddies come racing down and jump into my truck.
    Yelling "go go" I drive them back home.
    After getting back, they told me Mary appeared and began chasing them.
    I told them about the conversation I had on the roadside.
    They told me no one lives anywhere near where we were and did not see anyone on the road.

You make your own conclusion.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hunting season about dark waiting for a few does to walk farther away from the stand so they did not spook. Past shooting time a bit and dark but still a little light available to get out of stand without the headlamp.

While packing up a call and my binoculars I catch a flash from the east. Large flash like someone just took a photo. Then an Erie orange glow of a fireball (no not a drink) from the east. The glow was very big then was not as big but still a glow.

I walked north of the stand area now not as concerned about the deer hearing me because of the distant glow of orange to the northeast. The land is pretty flat but has a large hedgerow with trees is between me and the glow. At times I can see the glow from the few leaves in the wind as reflections.

I get to the end of the field where the fence row ends in a huge soybean field opens up and now I can see the huge flame burning in the distance.

I know this was after 9-11 and all I can think of the cause was a plane crash. I watched the flame for some time thinking that it would diminish and go out. Nope still an Erie orange glow and flames at times jumping up licking at the sky and I can tell it is distant and very large.

I walk out. Now more concerned of the does that were in the field as I walk the back side of the fence row staying out of the feeding area that the old combine the farm used would drop corn cobs and some spillage of corn at times. (New combines must have a robot vacuum following them because now not a single kernel of corn gets left in the field).

I get to the truck (1986 ford ranger) and get out the company cell phone. The sprint one with the push to talk button like a walker talkie. And I call 911 to report a plane crash in Madison county.
    They said that you they have recieved a few calls and we investigating. Hmmm nothing to worry about she said. Hmmm. UFO's?

So off to the gas station for a coffee and a pack of smokes (I smoked then but not in a tree stand.) it was east of my hunting area a bit and the glow of the little red neck town (single stop light) stopped the glow of the orange flame. That is when my inner x files investigator kicked in big time. I was off to the UFO crash site.

Well it was much farther away then it seemed. I cross out of Madison into handcock a bit then into Henry and I keep driving to the Erie UFO crash site glow. The large coffe was gone and I was hungry so a quick food stop was made for a burger and fries and I still kept driving northeast. The glow was easy to spot now. A large orange glow.

Finally a few red lights and blue lights could be seen off of the roadway and a police road closed block. Now I know it is a UFO crash so I take the gravel road to an old bridge and the go west to the flame. No road block but also no homes not even many farms just huge harvested fields. Blue and red lights and a giant orange flame.

So I pull up and park away from the cops and firefighters and watch for aliens. Nothing just a few pickup work trucks show up. Then i see the cops roll out together like they must be aFter aliens Somewhere but no red lights. Just a few fire trucks for field fires and a tanker and two pickups.

Hmmm. Where are the army duce and a half's. They sent away the cops. They don't want the paperwork anyway. The flames are still licking the bottoms of the clouds in the middle of a plowed field.

I am off to the side of the field like I was hunting deer but I was looking for aliens. Nothing burns for and hour of more in the middle of a field with flames so high I can see it in and county over. Then the coffee needed it lease paid for so out I go to pee.

I see a headlight beam in the distance so I just whip it out. Then I am in the beams of a cop light with my tool in my hand and a water hose spray on the small tree I had adopted for the evening of alien hunting. Needless to say this did not end with the cop driving off and letting me finish the tree adoption.

We after a rather pleasant exchange about the legal issues of parking on land I did not own and adopted trees the policeman informed me of the issu with the aliens. (Which is what I told him I was doing in the area)

Seems that several weeks before the farmer Installed drainage tiles in this huge mile square field of beans and then plowed the field for winter. They must have placed a small nick in the natural gas pipeline j set the ground in this field. A huge pipeline. The gas leaked for a long time and then the environment was perfect for a static spark to set the leaking gas to flame.

I was disappointed and still figuring that this was the coverup for the alien crash. I told the officer so. He actually let me stay in the area and about 10 minutes later the flames were half a high the tree top height then truck high then just a bit of flame.

The giant light of the pickup which was white and blue shined on the whole in the earth and zero wreckage of a plane or and alien space ship. Maybe I missed the army trucks and they remove it before I got to the area.

Top Bottom