• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Was browsing around at the local stores the past couple of weeks and noticed the price difference between 9mm and .40 S&W is widening. I have noticed INGOers recommending 9mm over .40 because of the saving in ammo, but traditionally the margin in savings has not been that great. (Locally at least I have been paying about $2 more per box of 50.) 9mm pricing seems to have stabilized or even softened a bit while .40 has increased. Anybody out there hearing why this might be?

Might have to keep my eyes open for a couple 9mm conversion barrels. :cool:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My guess is supply and demand as well as commodity prices. Their is a lot more lead and brass in a 180 grain .40 than a 115gr 9mm.

Without a doubt, the fact that 9mm is the cheapest centerfire caliber to shoot , and that fact clearly affects pistol sales and the frequency of shooting. This kind of guarantees the continual volume of 9mm.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    at walmart they are selling 100 round boxes of federal .40 for 25.96...that's only 13.00 for a box of 50...the cheapest I have seen anywhere. Or you could just reload and save even more...

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    at walmart they are selling 100 round boxes of federal .40 for 25.96...that's only 13.00 for a box of 50...the cheapest I have seen anywhere. Or you could just reload and save even more...

That is a really good price...Im used to seeing .32-.37 cents a round.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

I will have to look again. If memory serves the 100 round packs of .40 at WalMart were about $35. I saw the Federal Champion went from $15 a box to about $17.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have been on the lookout for some bulk purchasing, as I am really wanting to ramp up my pistol training. After some research, the obvious cost effective solution is remanufactured through BVAC, Ventura, or Precision. You can get down to about $.22 per round before shipping. But when looking at 5k-10k+ rounds, it still doesn't get me down to the per round price I am really wanting (shipping sucks).

And I reload, but don't have the time at the moment to churn out near this many rounds.

That being said, it has cause me to seriously consider (again) swapping out all of my .40 gear for 9mm. That is going to be quite quite the undertaking and may end up costing me money in the process....so I debate this about every 6 months.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

Yep, I bought two boxes of this last night at the walmart were I live. You cant beat it for the price. Its good range/training ammo.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That being said, it has cause me to seriously consider (again) swapping out all of my .40 gear for 9mm. That is going to be quite quite the undertaking and may end up costing me money in the process....so I debate this about every 6 months.

It was about 2 years ago I got rid of the last 9mm. Now all of my autos are .40 S&W. I really don't consider this to be a bad choice. My reasoning at the time was 1) standardize on one cartridge so that I could more easily stock ammunition and 2) I could buy 9mm conversion barrels for the .40, but not the other way. Only problem is that at $125 - $215 a barrel I am almost better off just buying another gun. :rolleyes:

Yep, I bought two boxes of this last night at the walmart were I live. You cant beat it for the price. Its good range/training ammo.

Another confirmation. $13 a box of 50 is really not that bad.

Edit: I should say not that bad compared to 9mm pricing. $13 a box still adds up! It is really to bad we can't return to the days of $14/100 round value packs.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I didnt see any federals .... but the Winchester white boxes are about 32 bucks for 100 ... im keeping my eyes pealed for them federals

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some things you pay for according to the work they will do. A 3-1/2 hp single cylinder gasoline motor has the EXACT same amount of moving parts and machining operations on the assembly line as a single cylinder 10 hp engine from the same manufacturer. It costs 3 times as much money. The few extra pounds of cast aluminum does not cost that much.

OutaAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    I have been on the lookout for some bulk purchasing, as I am really wanting to ramp up my pistol training. After some research, the obvious cost effective solution is remanufactured through BVAC, Ventura, or Precision. You can get down to about $.22 per round before shipping. But when looking at 5k-10k+ rounds, it still doesn't get me down to the per round price I am really wanting (shipping sucks).

And I reload, but don't have the time at the moment to churn out near this many rounds.

Maybe time to buy a pallet of ammo on a group buy.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Keislers/Orion in Clarksville has 50 round boxes of Winchester Ranger Bonded 180 gr JHP for $14.75... WWB at Wally is a little cheaper, and I prefer to carry Federal HST's for SD, but $15/50 is a helluva good price for legitimate self defense ammo that I can afford to practice (in quantity) with. Something to consider....

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee

Guess I need to head up to your neck of the woods sometime... lol

Cheapest wally world 40sw I have found is the steel cased stuff for $28/100

Top Bottom