Whats up with my water heater (house hold)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes I did that and he came up with this lame excuse that I must have ran my washer or did a load with the dish washer. He told me all is good with it I have hot water end of discussion even though in roughly 3 min it will run out in the shower and that he insists I turn the temp up to 160 and that will fix it

?.....Don't you do it.....:nono:.....from a libility standpoint....I would'n touch it......let him turn it up.....an' then.....:whistle:

(an' nahhh.....it won't 'fix it'.....)

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    OP, this is why you rent. Send the landlord a letter, state that you do not have enough hot water to take a bath. Wait for him to fix it. If he does nothing, I would hire a plumber to fix it and deduct it from my rent.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    OP, this is why you rent. Send the landlord a letter, state that you do not have enough hot water to take a bath. Wait for him to fix it. If he does nothing, I would hire a plumber to fix it and deduct it from my rent.

just know if you do this, OP, you can be evicted for non-payment. IC does not allow for this as a remedy. You do have the option of defending your non-payment with the landlord's refusal to fix the problem, in which case the judge may rule in your favor. But understand that your landlord can take action against you if you go this route. Your legal remedy is to sue him in court to compel him to fix it. All things considered, it will probably be cheaper to pay a plumber out of your own pocket though.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    contact your local health department.
    http://www.hhcorp.org/hhc/images/HHCcode/housing_code_book.pdf
    Sec. 10-401.
    Every dwelling shall have a room or area in which food may be prepared
    and cooked equipped with the following:
    a) A kitchen sink in good working condition and properly connected
    to an approved water supply and sewer system. The sink must
    provide an adequate amount of water under pressure, both
    unheated and heated to no more than 120°F.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes I did that and he came up with this lame excuse that I must have ran my washer or did a load with the dish washer. He told me all is good with it I have hot water end of discussion even though in roughly 3 min it will run out in the shower and that he insists I turn the temp up to 160 and that will fix it

AANND he has the nerve to call you a liar. Sounds like a real winner.

I suggest two things. First, print out the health dept code (The one shown by Singlestack is for Indianapolis, but Im sure South Bend area also has one.. give your county health dept a call to verify) , THEN the assumption of liability I suggested upthread. Show them to him both and hand him a pen to sign the second. After all, he is telling you to do two things: violate health codes, as well as jeopardize the safety of your children by making it easy to scald them.

Good luck!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    AANND he has the nerve to call you a liar. Sounds like a real winner.

I suggest two things. First, print out the health dept code (The one shown by Singlestack is for Indianapolis, but Im sure South Bend area also has one.. give your county health dept a call to verify) , THEN the assumption of liability I suggested upthread. Show them to him both and hand him a pen to sign the second. After all, he is telling you to do two things: violate health codes, as well as jeopardize the safety of your children by making it easy to scald them.

Good luck!
    And keep your eye out for the eviction letter.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Check on the sticker to see when it was manufactured. There was a big recall of nearly all water heaters that were manufactured in the late 90s due to faulty dip tubes. You're past the time to do anything about the recall or receive any consideration. However, if it is from that time, pretty sure the dip tube is the issue.

Sometimes the only way to get anything done is to threaten legal action. If you know a lawyer, maybe just a call or letter from them would be sufficient to make the landlord see the issue.

Also, maybe have the landlord meet you immediately after work, when he knows no laundry or dishes have been done, to experience the issue.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Who would be paying to heat this water to 160°?

I told him that as seeing this problem started about a month ago my electric bill has gone up about 20 bucks so I know for a fact that the heater is working harder just to maintain 120 degrees it would jump even more if I bumped it to 160 which I am not going to do

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    And keep your eye out for the eviction letter.

Evicted for what exactly? I'm sure you keep up with your rental properties but there's a lot of penny pinching do nothing landlords out there.

My 1st gas water heater lasted a LONG time. ~18 years! I didn't even know you were supposed to flush them out every year to get rid of the scale buildup. I never flushed mine. I'll bet this one we're talking about in this thread doesn't flush at all. I'll bet the drain at the bottom is stuck &/or breaks off if turned. Mine was so caked up with scale that it just dribbled.

OP, have the landlord do a tank flush. I'll bet that plastic drain at the bottom breaks off. You'll then get a new water heater. :):

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Evicted for what exactly? I'm sure you keep up with your rental properties but there's a lot of penny pinching do nothing landlords out there.

My 1st gas water heater lasted a LONG time. ~18 years! I didn't even know you were supposed to flush them out every year to get rid of the scale buildup. I never flushed mine. I'll bet this one we're talking about in this thread doesn't flush at all. I'll bet the drain at the bottom is stuck &/or breaks off if turned. Mine was so caked up with scale that it just dribbled.

OP, have the landlord do a tank flush. I'll bet that plastic drain at the bottom breaks off. You'll then get a new water heater. :):

Take your pick. A landlord that is going to make a tenant continue to use a faulty water heater--in possible violation of the law and local health codes--isn't going to have much to keep him from doing what he wants in other areas. And a tenant that starts to dictate terms and policies of renting the unit is going to royally **** off a landlord. I won't tolerate a tenant who presumes to tell me how to run my business or under what terms we'll be operating.

On a side note, those of you making all these suggestions are clearly missing the point: the landlord isn't going to do anything more.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Take your pick. A landlord that is going to make a tenant continue to use a faulty water heater--in possible violation of the law and local health codes--isn't going to have much to keep him from doing what he wants in other areas. And a tenant that starts to dictate terms and policies of renting the unit is going to royally **** off a landlord. I won't tolerate a tenant who presumes to tell me how to run my business or under what terms we'll be operating.

On a side note, those of you making all these suggestions are clearly missing the point: the landlord isn't going to do anything more.

Im sure if one of your tenants has an issue with an appliance that you provided you will fix it right? Or get it fixed

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Bowtie... it really sounds like your dip tube has rusted through, or is broken. Replacing the dip tub if very easy, if the tech did not find anything wrong all he probably did was test it electrically, and if gas made sure the gas was working. Personally I would not try to repair it (even though it very easy to do) as you could be responsible for any damages caused my your work, but I would tell my slumlord that you are 95% certain that's it's a dip tub problem and if he could please get a tech to check it out. Good luck.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yes it is the point. You are saying you wont tolerate a tenant who dictates the policy well it wouldn't come to that point if the land lord would do his job and fix the provided appliance now would it?
    Tell me again how discussing how I run my business is relevant to your situation then.

Top Bottom