• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I have seen rebel flags used for avatars and in pics that are posted at various places within this site. Help me out with this...does this mean we have a bunch of "rebels" against the norms of society in general, or racists?

As we know this flag is a powerful symbol with significant historical meaning related directly to slavery. Do the rebel flag posters know this? Just trying to be cool? Ignorant of the past? Hateful individuals? In many ways this flag is not that different than a german swaztika which I hope many would be opposed to seeing on this site for obvious reasons.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    mainly ignorance of the past and mixed in with a bit of trying to be cool. I get so sick of seeing HS kids displaying the flag and at the same time failing history class.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Comparing the Stars and Bars to the Nazi flag betrays some of the bigotry you claim to be so distressed over, as well as an utter ignorance of history. The War of Northern Agression was only loosely linked to slavery, despite the attempts of those who support the illegal and un-Constitutional actions of the oppressors to try to put some sort of noble face on their war of conquest.

I always enjoy pointing out to those who like to try to re-write history and disparage Southerners as slavers that the last slave states were Northern states, and they had slaves until after the War. The Emancipation Proclamation did not free the slaves in the North.

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    apparently so, already moved. Don't think that people look at it as pushing the idea of slavery though, I think its more of them being proud of their heritage.:dunno:

I prefer this flag however :patriot:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    apparently so, already moved. Don't think that people look at it as pushing the idea of slavery though, I think its more of them being proud of their heritage.:dunno:

I prefer this flag however :patriot:

and I say close to 75% of these folks who wave that flag have no idea what their heritage is.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I have seen rebel flags used for avatars and in pics that are posted at various places within this site. Help me out with this...does this mean we have a bunch of "rebels" against the norms of society in general, or racists?

As we know this flag is a powerful symbol with significant historical meaning related directly to slavery. Do the rebel flag posters know this? Just trying to be cool? Ignorant of the past? Hateful individuals? In many ways this flag is not that different than a german swaztika which I hope many would be opposed to seeing on this site for obvious reasons.

I look at it as a sign of independence, saying that you can take care of yourself and don't need the .gov in your business. Some people do use it because they think slavery is right and/or want to part with the US. Others do it because they have a jacked up truck and think its cool. There is no single reason. In the end its a symbol and means what you want it to mean.

Saying it is related to the German swastika is a stretch I think. Just because you don't personally agree with something doesn't automatically mean that it is related to Nazis; in fact I find the only thing they have in common is that they are both in fact, flags.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground

I like using the rebel flags for curtains in my trailer. :):

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    As we know this flag is a powerful symbol with significant historical meaning related directly to slavery.

Nope, that is a modern politically correct assumption.

It stands for 'States Rights', and in reality that is what the war was fought over.....

Slavery was a minor part of it, it was just what the press (even then) stuck to and it sticks to this day, no matter the proof otherwise.

:patriot::40oz:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I don't see a problem with it, the flag had no negative connotations until well into the 1950's. Many units in WWII had the same flag as part of their unit patch and states had it as part of their flags as well.

As gun owners shouldn't we appreciate a group of people who stood up for what they thought was right, regardless how we feel about it?

Isn't that freedom?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Agreed, nothing like pi$ off the regionally proudest people in the US.

Hehe.

Rebel flags don't really bother me but, well, I'm white...

I'm not going to deny that when I see someone sporting 2 rebel flags waving off of poles on each side of the back of a pick up truck I can't think but wonder how big of a rebel flag must be attached to their trailer, but who am I to judge?

With that being said, no one but the person representing the flag knows their intentions...

If they are showing the flag because they are proud of their heritage, good for them.

If they are showing the flag for racist reasons, shame on them.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Hehe.

Rebel flags don't really bother me but, well, I'm white...

I'm not going to deny that when I see someone sporting 2 rebel flags waving off of poles on each side of the back of a pick up truck I can't think but wonder how big of a rebel flag must be attached to their trailer, but who am I to judge?

With that being said, no one but the person representing the flag knows their intentions...

If they are showing the flag because they are proud of their heritage, good for them.

If they are showing the flag for racist reasons, shame on them.

Dang, another :+1:

Top Bottom