• ...and so much more!
  • MrNova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    No.Indiana
    Hello all,

Well I want to pick up a .45acp in the 1911 structure. I love the way the guns look and the heritage behind them. But I also want to carry it. So my question is this? I find myself more attracted to the "compact" 3" frame. Is this a good gun to shoot? As far as accuracy how does it rank? I understand that practice makes perfect but all in all how does this size fair? My main concern is because I recently bought a Kahr PM4044 and really do not think it's the gun for me. It's too small for my hands. I've been looking at A LOT of 1911's and the 3" just grabs my attention. I would really like to shoot one first but my local range only has a 5" for rental and I know that will not compare in feel or am I wrong? Any help is appreciated as I do not want to buy another gun I'll have to try and sell because I don't like it. And one last thing. What is the best bang for the buck as far as brand? I'm looking at a S&W SW1911 Pro Series and a Colt Defender Lightweight rightnow. Or would I be better off looking into a Kimber or Springfield? Thanks in advance.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Wow lot of options, I personally carry a Colt Double Eagle usually in an inside the belt Uncle mike holster. My son has and carries a Taurus Pt-90DC (45 acp) but is looking to upgrade to a nicer 45. He has been looking at just about all the brands, and I have been with him much of the time. I believe he has pretty much narrowed it down to either a Springfield or Kimber. Both felt pretty good to me. I personally don't care for the S&W or any of the poly frames. Although they are higher priced I think you get your money worth with a top brand - and they hold their value (and do give you some bragging rights). In my opinion none of the 45's are target guns. I mean I can hit a pie plate target at 50 ft. - which is plenty good enough for defense. If I want to handgun target I will use my 44 mag Colt Anaconda or Tompson contender. - I have put plenty of rounds 2M at least downrange with my 45 but sure wouldn't hunt with it. Can't say how accurate the compacts' are. I would rely on how the gun feels in your hand more than worry about accuracy - after all it is a defense weapon.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Kimber Ultra Carry carrier, here. (3")
    Any time you trade off to shorter for concealability, you're going to lose a smidgen of accuracy... But 3" aren't made for target competitions.
    That being said, they will put holes where you want them if you talk to them sweetly enough.
    I've also carried a 4" and a 5" 1911...but prefer the 3" for a variety of reasons.

Any of the brands you mentioned are worth a look. Happy shopping. :yesway:

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    IMG_1464.jpg

Something like this?:D

In all seriousness, it seems everyone makes a 1911 nowadays. I work on them for a part time living and have seen just about everything fail, everyone puts out a bad batch sooner or later.

Knowing that and seeing what I have seen working on these fine weapons I would not go on the cheaper side of the house to save pennies, remember we are talking about something that you may very well depend your life on so a dollar now may be nothing if it saves your life.

Another thing that I have found working on these things is that the sub 5" 1911s seem to be more finicky than the frame it was originally built on (5"). So just make sure you put it through its paces first before you trust it and maintain your weapon! Happy hunting!

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I'm not a fan of the 3" 1911s. IMO, the slide length is the easiest part of the pistol to conceal, so I see no real advantage going to a short barrel 1911 (its not worth the loss in sight radius and velocity just to gain a little concealment). Also, a lot of the 3" 1911's will have a shortened grip which takes a firearm with an already relatively low capacity and cuts it down even further.

IMO, I would stick with a full size 1911 that is going to be easier to shoot, more accurate, and have a larger capacity. Then I would simply invest in a quality belt and holster and you should be able to CCW it just fine.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Shorter grip=easier to conceal For those times when no one needs to know and you don't want to worry about "OMG am I printing"

That is all I have

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I've had a kimber ultra carry some years back and had a number of FTP and fte issues that Kimber could not resolve. Also had commander sized 1911' s from S&W and Springfield. All nice weapons. I've landed on full size 1911's as the barrel length doesn't seem as difficult to carry cc as the grip. I personally like lifetime warranties like S&W and Springfield but my favorite 1911 is a Kimber custom target.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have a Sig Sauer ultra compact 1911 45 ACP. I had never shot a 1911 or 45 ACP when I bought it. It was easy and accurate to shoot.

I don't think there's as much of a hand jerk with it as there is with my SP101 357 mag. I like the gun really well.

Here's a link with the gun specs.

1911 Ultra Two-Tone

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Get a full size... that is all.

Seriously tho, I've shot a couple of compacts and they are definitely more accurate than I am... but with any gun, the longer the site radius the easier to aim.

But like said above, the only 1911 I seen act "finicky" was a compact sig. Great shooter... but sometimes it doesn't cycle completely. I shot my buddies yesterday and the slide stuck back mid-magazine not once but twice. (shooting factory ammo)

Last edited:

MrNova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    No.Indiana
    Thanks for all of the feedback. Looking thru that Kimber link kawtech posted that TLE II is just plain sick. Does anyone know where I could find one? I have never seen that particular one yet. Also I was at a shop in Michigan today and he had a Springfield EMP40 in the 1911 format. I have never seen one of these before either. Does anyone have any feedback on this model? Seeing how I have forties now that might be an option.

MrNova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    No.Indiana
    All I know is that I was going to get a Kimber Ultra Carry II which is a 3" compact. But after holding a commander sized (4"), I just fell in love with it. This is what I EDC. Sig Custom Nightmare Carry 1911.

But with the right holster and belt, I also carry my 5" Sig STX.

I really like both of those A LOT! And seeing how I'm a Sig fan that makes it even better.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    My advice would be to avoid James Yaeger videos. Because he attempts to brainwash you by what he feels is intimidating arm movements. Que covered that hilariously.

1911's are great. Glocks can be great, too. I'd say personally after owning some 1911's, get a commander size for starting off (4.0 - 4.25" barrel length) as it's very comfortable. You can carry, don't sacrifice much in terms of accuracy over the 5" barrels I don't think (I have owned both 4.25 and 5" barrel length 1911's).

One more thing I'd suggest - personal opinion only. Go for a Sig Sauer. They're amazing out of the box. I had a chance to get either a Kimber or a Sig last time I visited my LGS, and well, you see what I recommended =P. The Sig was the exact same price as the Kimber, fwiw

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Where might I find a Custom Nightmare? Is something I'd have to order custom from Sig?
    I found one at the Lafayette Gun show by a dealer from Ft. Wayne (I can't remember the name off hand). But it was the first "Carry" model he has seen. They make the Nightmare 1911 in a 5" and just released the carry about 5 months ago. I would call around to stores or look at gun shows. I had been obsessing over this one and as soon as I saw it, I had to snatch it up. It is easy to conceal (with the bobtail) and a real sweet shooter.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I've had a kimber ultra carry some years back and had a number of FTP and fte issues that Kimber could not resolve. Also had commander sized 1911' s from S&W and Springfield. All nice weapons. I've landed on full size 1911's as the barrel length doesn't seem as difficult to carry cc as the grip. I personally like lifetime warranties like S&W and Springfield but my favorite 1911 is a Kimber custom target.

I'll gladly take that off your hands. :)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thanks for all of the feedback. Looking thru that Kimber link kawtech posted that TLE II is just plain sick. Does anyone know where I could find one?

Bradis is a Kimber master dealer, I was talking to INGO member Shooter521 (Bradis' manager) a few weeks back asking why he didnt have any Kimbers in stock. He told me all Kimbers are on a 6 month + backorder. They basically take what they can get and they sell just as fast.

Bradis also had a Sig Nightmare and a Traditional Compact instock but they may be a little further than you want to drive if your up by Michigan.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Bradis is a Kimber master dealer, I was talking to INGO member Shooter521 (Bradis' manager) a few weeks back asking why he didnt have any Kimbers in stock. He told me all Kimbers are on a 6 month + backorder. They basically take what they can get and they sell just as fast.

Bradis also had a Sig Nightmare and a Traditional Compact instock but they may be a little further than you want to drive if your up by Michigan.

I was just at 21st Century Arms in Bluffton, they had quite a few Kimbers in stock if any one wants one.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom