• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I carry one of three compact 1911's during the winter months. A 1966 Colt Commander (4 1/2"), a Springfield LW Champion (4") or a Springfield Compact Comp (4 1/4"). Any of the three do the job and are lighter weight than a full 5" model. That said, there are some disadvantages. A bit more recoil for one, though not much. Shorter sighting plane (no biggie), and the big bug-a-boo for short 1911's...reliability. The gun was originally intended as a 5" and the mechanics to make it work at shorter lengths sometimes don't pan out. Personally, I wouldn't carry anything under a 4" and then I'd have to be damn sure it ran with my intended load, EVERY TIME!
    Colt still makes the Commander in a lightweight frame, that would be my first choice.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I have tried several holsters and nothing ever worked right with my 1911, until I found the one that I have now. I paid to much for it but it fits perfect, so I guess it was somewhat worth it. Everything before would hang out wide or dig into my ribs, but this one makes the full size 1911 fit as good as anything else I have carried. I have two smaller, lighter pieces, but now all I carry is the 1911. Love it.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have tried several holsters and nothing ever worked right with my 1911, until I found the one that I have now. I paid to much for it but it fits perfect, so I guess it was somewhat worth it. Everything before would hang out wide or dig into my ribs, but this one makes the full size 1911 fit as good as anything else I have carried. I have two smaller, lighter pieces, but now all I carry is the 1911. Love it.

What kind of holster is it?

MrNova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    No.Indiana
    Bradis is a Kimber master dealer, I was talking to INGO member Shooter521 (Bradis' manager) a few weeks back asking why he didnt have any Kimbers in stock. He told me all Kimbers are on a 6 month + backorder. They basically take what they can get and they sell just as fast.

Bradis also had a Sig Nightmare and a Traditional Compact instock but they may be a little further than you want to drive if your up by Michigan.

Can someone give me Bradis' contact info, i.e; address and number?

MrNova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    No.Indiana
    Anyone have any experience with the EMP40 by Springfield? I liked that a lot. It was the first .40cal I've seen in the 1911 format.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I'm not a fan of the 3" 1911s. IMO, the slide length is the easiest part of the pistol to conceal, so I see no real advantage going to a short barrel 1911 (its not worth the loss in sight radius and velocity just to gain a little concealment). Also, a lot of the 3" 1911's will have a shortened grip which takes a firearm with an already relatively low capacity and cuts it down even further.

IMO, I would stick with a full size 1911 that is going to be easier to shoot, more accurate, and have a larger capacity. Then I would simply invest in a quality belt and holster and you should be able to CCW it just fine.

I agree. Thickness is harder to hide than length, and single stack guns disappear given a quality belt, holster, and carry location/clothing choices appropriate for your build. I carried a full sized 1911 for years working for a company that didn't allow carry and was never made.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Well, GunGirl, lts a Galco leather one. Let me see if I can upload a pic from an IPad. May have to do it from the office........ I don't think it is letting me, I'll try it in a bit.
    PHP:

MrNova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    No.Indiana
    I was actually looking at a Colt Defender. How do you like it? Also I see mention problems with the short barrel 1911's? What can I expect?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1911 Traditional Compact Stainless

Kimber America | Compact Stainless II

I have the Kimber Compact and I fondled the Sig Traditional the other day at Bradis. I love my Kimber and the Sig is awesome too.

Im not a fan of 3" 1911s but I love the officer frame/commander slide versions. Just my .02

There you go "Fondling" again. You know what that causes...Yes!!!

OP, the reason I posted that was these are addicting at the highest level. (1) is too many and (5) are not near enough.

I am a fair sized fella so it is the standard length Gov. issue for me. It runs and hits where you point it. No knock on the 3" compact but I understand they can be a little touchy and that is mainly due to limp wristing. If it is your first (kind of like "Ole girl") get a full size and learn to use it.
    I just brought home a new in the box Springer "GI" in stainless and was out the door for under $800. There are nice Range Officers available for a bit more and the next level "Loaded" is a very nice piece but I am a Springer junky so my opinion is biased.
    Let us know what you get.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    I am a big fan of the 1911. I own a few 3" of different makes. As churchmouse and others have stated, some are more finicky than others and a lot of it has to do with limp wristing. My preferred carry is the kimber rcp. The sights, i mean channel, takes some getting used to at first but is accurate when you get the feel for it.

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    IME/O i would stay away from 3''. most problems relating to a 1911 have come from this size. I am by no means a bigger person and CC'ed a full frame for almost 2 years. it was a Para 7.45 LDA. i also have a ww2 colt GI that has all original parts and still shoots well. i would look at the commander size. my buddy purchased springfields model and loved it. as fas as a good looking 1911 with reliability that you wont want to sell or trade, series 70 colt.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a Kimber 3" Eclipse. Nice gun. I have not had any feed issues with it, but from what I've read the 3-inch models can be finicky. I use a Wislon Combat mag with mine. Many folks swear by the Wison mags for their 1911s, I use them in all of my 1911s, 3, 4, and 5-inch models.

Top Bottom