• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Haven't been since I was a little kid. All I really remember is absolutely broiling under the sun and being bored as hell.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    This year, I will have gone for the past 30 years since I was 15. I have only missed 3 ( 1 was the year it rained, rained, and rained causing me to not get a 4th day off where they ran it and allowed anyone off the streets to fill the stands; the 2nd I was in Evansville in a wedding which turned out to be the hottest race run; the 3rd was covid.) We started in turn 4 upgrading and have annually sat in the Paddock just down from the start finish line.

So many:
    I can remember leaving one race where there was a loud bang/crash. We looked over to see someone threw a cooler into the windshield (sticking 1/2 in and out) of a Dodge Ram heading south on Georgetown in a swarm of people.

The rabbit got hit.

The worst was when a crew member got hit in the pits. Everyone stood there in silence while chest compressions were given. His distraught wife seeing this turning and vomiting.

The tornado. Only time I've ever heard (Evacuate the track!) We were walking back to the car as the sky turned green. I told my buddy we better hurry because I'd rather let the tornado take me than hunker down in a post-race restroom by the troughs. 1 minute after we drove down some street I can't remember, the tornado went through.

The 2 best flyover were the warthog the stopped in turn 1 did a 360 angled up, then boom gone. The other was the SR71 Blackbird that flew so low it rattled my hair follicles. They have never flown that low ever again. Pretty sure there was an issue that it caused with the Pagoda.

The sign read, "Kick the drunk for a quarter!" When we walked by, a guy was handing over a $5.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    The one thing I've noticed is once one gets north of US 30, far fewer people can be found getting goosebumps over this event.

Never had desire to set thru a race; been to time trials maybe 6 times or on average once a decade in my life. Do the motorcycle cops still stand upright on their bikes "no hands' down Georgetown?

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    1971. One of our fraternity brother's father hooked us up with unlimited pit passes. Two of us were photography nerds and had the passes for the start of the race. We were walking down to the first turn when I asked my buddy if he wanted to go into the first turn for start of the race or go onto the photographers stand. He chose the first turn. After about lap two, we started back to our paddock seats so that others in our group could use the pit passes. When we got to the photographers stand the pace car was just being towed off. Probably one of the better decisions we made in our young life.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    2007. Start and run then rain... repeat like 20 times. First and last time going. Drunks were annoying... traffic was annoying.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I cannot say more on the forum, but it involved a tremendous amount of alcohol, a truck 6/8ths full of drunk hillbillies, 2 king sized snickers bars and 2 heavy set local girls on an I70 off ramp.

Everyone walked away in good spirits, but that is the last time I will ever go to the city with bumpkins from Amish country.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    1989. I wasn't even a teenager yet. My dad and I went down with a guy from our church and his son, who was a few years older than I.

We had infield seats on the backstretch. Whilst walking to our seats, a couple of "ladies" were a few steps ahead of us. Cigarette in one hand, beer in the other. Short jean shorts and a tube top. (Yes, I remember every detail. You'll see why in a second.) We were just about out of turn three and several guys on the top of the bleachers started hootin' and hollerin' at the ladies in front of us. The one on my right handed her beer to her friend, turned around and pulled up her tube top and wiggled a good amount.

I don't remember much after that. But having just saw my first real pair bouncing about 4 feet in front of my young, innocent eyes, my first thought was "I better not tell mom."

Emerson Fittipaldi went on to win that day, but as far as I was concerned, I was the real winner!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mine is probably more personally devastating than @jkfletcher. My maternal Grandma was in hospice back in 2008. Just as they were finishing the prayer, the phone rang. It was mom. Grandma was gone. I cried on my wife's shoulder in the kitchen listening to taps, followed by Jim Nabors sing that wonderful song that nobody except Mike Rowe could sing as well (he informally offered to sing it and even gave an impromptu demo after so many fans said he should do it).

As a side note, Grandma and Dad had a constant rivalry trying to one-up each other. A year later dad decided to one-up her by passing on Independence day from cancer. Well played, dad. LOL

Haven't been since I was a little kid. All I really remember is absolutely broiling under the sun and being bored as hell.
    I had the exact opposite experience. Went to a practice day with my company on an outing in the late 90s to a tent in the infield. It was in the low 50s and drizzly/windy off and on. We were all bored and miserable. We all left as soon as we could. NOBODY stayed the whole time.

Never been to an actual race, even though Ive lived here all my life. I always spend the day outdoors gardening, doing yard work, etc with the radio on listening to it in the background.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Oddly enough I've never been to the 500. Used to go to the NHRA US Drag Nationals every year though. A bunch of us caravanned from NWI. Good times from what I can remember. I do remember there were boobies there too. That's been years ago.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Never been to an actual race, even though Ive lived here all my life. I always spend the day outdoors gardening, doing yard work, etc with the radio on listening to it in the background.
    My family's old house had a pool and a great back deck. Race on the radio and everyone hanging around outside was an annual event.

I'd probably enjoy attending the race more nowadays that I'm old and a four hour event feels like 45 minutes used to feel.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I think the best memory of mine was watching Parnelli Jones walk away from the rest of the pack with the #40 turbine in 1967. I know there aren't many on here with that memory. It was an amazing race even though he broke down with three laps to go. He made more money from leading the race than the actual winner did. Oh, did I mention that I watched that race from the snake pit? Good times.

Top Bottom