• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deseag007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    Lawrence (Indy)
    I have an old Ruger 10-22 that I am wanting to get out of it's old factory stock and dress up in something new and fancy looking for my boys to use at the range. I have seen a lot of different mods but I am not really sure what direction I want to go with it. IF you have dressed one up or have a decked out one you willing to show off please post with the mods done along with the approx. price so I can get a rough idea what I am looking at investing. As always thanks for your input.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I've had a few I've toyed with.

By far, the one I shoot most has a Tapco stock, sling, and Tech Sights. ("Sporter" 10/22 - $200, Tapco stock - $80, sling w/Uncle Mike's mounts - $30, Tech Sights - $60) The next one is a "space gun" that has a heavy barrel w/brake on the end, Hogue rubber stock, cheapo bipod, Simmons scope and the Ruger BX Trigger. (Bought gun at gun show for $150, added bipod for $30, used scope for $15, BX Trigger for $65) After that, I have some "Appleseed LTRs" that are carbines with slings & Tech Sights added.

Not sure how old (or big) your boys are but it's nice to have an adjustable stock so it fits each of them properly. Kids today seem to like to set that bipod up and look through a scope since that's what they do on Call of Duty. I'd also recommend a few of the Ruger BX-25 mags so they can dump some rounds without reloading.

Adjustable stock - $85
    Cheap Bipod - $30
    Scope - $25 (get a used one from the show, a pawn shop, etc. Don't need anything too fancy)
    BX-25 mags - $25 each (get at least two)

For $150 or so you can customize one they'll shoot all day. Make them buy the ammo!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Here is mine. It has a TacStar stock. The stock hold 2 10 rd mags in it, has a removable barrel spacer so when I do finally upgrade to a bull barrel, I won't have to get a different stock.

There is a short piece of rail that comes out of the forend for a bipod. I have a different buffer in it. A trigger and barrel are on the list of upgrades.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have two I have "dressed up". My rifle I put on a bull barrel and a hogue overmold stock. Love it. not flashy but works incredibly well. I just added one of these, and I like it.
    Ruger 10/22 Magazine Release Lever | Crossfire Holsters

The second is for the kids. Blackhawk Axiom stock. It freefloats the barrel, works for both standard and bull barrels, and uses a standard AR collapsible stock so you can adjust the LoP on the fly for various size shooters.

Good luck!

deseag007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    Lawrence (Indy)
    I have two I have "dressed up". My rifle I put on a bull barrel and a hogue overmold stock. Love it. not flashy but works incredibly well. I just added one of these, and I like it.
    Ruger 10/22 Magazine Release Lever | Crossfire Holsters

The second is for the kids. Blackhawk Axiom stock. It freefloats the barrel, works for both standard and bull barrels, and uses a standard AR collapsible stock so you can adjust the LoP on the fly for various size shooters.

Good luck!

I really like that quick release that you pointed out above. I am definitely thinking about getting one of them as I have a bunch of 10rnd clips and really hate fumbling with the push up release.

Thanks to everyone else who has responded as well. I am liking what I see. I do appreciate the price break down as well MoHawk as I really thought some of that gear was going to be a lot higher than what you have mentioned. I really need a few of the 25 rnd mags and a spped loader for them would be nice as well.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Get the auto bolt release made by various people, and the bx trigger. The bolt release is the best $12 you will ever spend and you will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner!
    The trigger is well worth $65 too.
    Looks is just an opinion, so I'll leave that up to you.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Get the auto bolt release made by various people, and the bx trigger. The bolt release is the best $12 you will ever spend and you will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner!
    The trigger is well worth $65 too.
    Looks is just an opinion, so I'll leave that up to you.

This is also a VERY doable DIY project. I bought the auto release, then saw how easy the fix was. For my second rifle, a few careful minutes with the dremel and I had my new one converted. It took several test fittings to get it correct.

And if you muck it up, its only $12 to correct your mistake. Lots of howtos online.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    +1 on the extended mag release. (The new ones actually come with those installed now. I guess Ruger finally heard the market screaming for them.) $5 or so on E-Bay and probably cheaper if anyone has one laying around.

I'm not a fan of the auto bolt release though. The factory release mechanism can be tricky but I like knowing my bolt will stay back when I want it to stay back. The auto release can get bumped and send the bolt forward at times I don't want it to. It's a cheap and easy modification to make but it's also easy to learn "the trick" to using the factory hold back/release. I especially encourage the young shooters to learn how to operate the factory system because it gives them one more step (for concentration AND safety) when loading the rifle. Many say it's harder for them to do (small fingers, getting out of position to activate the factory system) but I find most kids learn to do it really quickly and the only people frustrated by it are adult shooters who are accustomed to the relative ease of chambering an AR or similar.

My 2 cents also includes an endorsement for the "cheap" parts. You'll hear Volquartsen this and Timney that, Green Mountain all the way, etc., but I've found the cheap (sometimes even Chinese) stuff to work just fine on the 10/22s. There's really not that much pressure or force on that small platform so spending big $ is a waste unless you're looking for a competition gun. For the boys' plinking needs, throw an adjustable stock on there, get a few RUGER mags (this IS one of the places you want the name brand) and then add some improved sights or scope, maybe a bipod or sling, and rock on.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd agree with you Slim, if they didnt make the damned release so finicky. if it were a simple button like an AR or others, I wouldnt mind. What I dont like is the up and back you have to get JUST right to actually actuate it. But to each their own. This one is a definite personal choice thing.

Another vote for cheap stuff. Its not a battle rifle. Its a range toy.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I'd agree with you Slim, if they didnt make the damned release so finicky. if it were a simple button like an AR or others, I wouldnt mind. What I dont like is the up and back you have to get JUST right to actually actuate it. But to each their own. This one is a definite personal choice thing.
    Exactly!

the only people frustrated by it are adult shooters who are accustomed to the relative ease of chambering an AR or similar.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I never cared much for the after market stock, but if it makes you enjoy your firearm more do it.

I did kind of like the M1 carbine style stock sets though. And I definitely want to upgrade to better irons on mine some day.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I think you should go this way...

1022tommy2.jpg

1022FunGun.com | Home of the 10/22 Fun Gun! - 1022FunGun.com

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I never cared much for the after market stock, but if it makes you enjoy your firearm more do it.

I did kind of like the M1 carbine style stock sets though. And I definitely want to upgrade to better irons on mine some day.
    The factory stocks are just fine for most adult shooters. If you have a couple yutes who are all different sizes it's nice to have a stock that's adjustable for length of pull. That way, all the kids can use the same rifle.

Those M1 carbine kits are pretty cool but don't offer much in the way of functional upgrades.

The sights on factory 10/22s leave a lot to be desired and an upgrade of some type should be made almost immediately.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Here's my latest;

new-10-22-1.jpg

It has the Magpul Hunter stock, Volquartson internals, Tac Sol bull barrel, CP scope, Form 1 can and extended mag release. I got the trigger pull down to 2.5 pounds (measured) by doing a lot of polishing and tweaking. No bi-pod on it as I plan on doing an Appleseed with it this summer. The reciver is a stainless 50 year anniversary model.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've got the M1 carbine stock, it's neat, but probably not cool in kids' eyes.

Cheap upgrades? Cut down a nylon bolt from the hardware store to replace that annoying recoil stop pin.

Best value? TechSights and Brimstone's basic trigger upgrade - send in your trigger group and get it back better than BX trigger.

DFork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    Evansville
    rimfirecentral.com has plenty of info on 10/22's. It will keep you busy for a while.
    I would work on the trigger first. Mine was 8 lbs out of the box. It's now around 2.5 lbs.

Top Bottom