• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This year (I mean 2017) I picked up a Springfield XDE, the subcompact hammer-fired 9mm. I shot it well enough, and for the short time I had it, it was flawless and very accurate. But it wasn't for me, not at all. That relationship didn't last long. I dunno... something about hammer-fired polymer guns doesn't seem right to me.

Other than being polymer and hammer fired, was there anything else you didn't like about it? On paper they look like they me be the answer for me wanting something a little more substantial than my Shield, but not Glock 19, M&P Compact 2.0, etc.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Other than being polymer and hammer fired, was there anything else you didn't like about it? On paper they look like they me be the answer for me wanting something a little more substantial than my Shield, but not Glock 19, M&P Compact 2.0, etc.
    As I found with the P30SK, there isn't necessarily anything wrong at all with a polymer hammer-fired setup. The DA on the XDE was heavy, but smooth. SA was nice. It carried well. I liked that it had a steel trigger and hammer. Easy to rack, and I'm a sucker for ambi controls. Surprisingly pleasant to shoot for such a small package. It was more an issue of fit. I have piano fingers, and the HK offers me better feel and grip options. And oddly enough, the front recoil spring plug started to rust (with obvious minor pitting), and Springfield didn't reply to my request for a replacement.

Hopefully this helps?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As I found with the P30SK, there isn't necessarily anything wrong at all with a polymer hammer-fired setup. The DA on the XDE was heavy, but smooth. SA was nice. It carried well. I liked that it had a steel trigger and hammer. Easy to rack, and I'm a sucker for ambi controls. Surprisingly pleasant to shoot for such a small package. It was more an issue of fit. I have piano fingers, and the HK offers me better feel and grip options. And oddly enough, the front recoil spring plug started to rust (with obvious minor pitting), and Springfield didn't reply to my request for a replacement.

Hopefully this helps?

Yes, thank-you Hopper, it helps. Hopefully next week I'll be able to stop somewhere in my travels and check one out.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    This makes me wonder if there should be a twist to this thread, or a different one, about unexpected purchases in 2017 that were NOT on our lists, but turned out to be surprisingly good.

I'll bite and think others should too. Haha my first impulse buy was a M&P Shield .40 for $250. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. The second was a CZ 85 Combat in great condition. It has went straight to the top of my favorite handguns after just two range trips.

Maybe this will be the year that I find a CZ P06 for a reasonable price....:dunno:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    The second was a CZ 85 Combat in great condition. It has went straight to the top of my favorite handguns after just two range trips.
    THIS was an excellent pick-up, and I'm not surprised it's become one of your favorites. You should definitely keep this gun for a LONG time... want list or not, I think the Combat version of the 85 is a great score!

Top Bottom