What's your preference? SA, SA/DA, or DA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you're willing to put a little time in, the DA/SA offers a lot of advantages at very little trade off. If you're not willing to practice, you may find yourself burning that very important first shot.

My cousin's best friend from childhood is a Navy SEAL...He and his team were in the region for some training and rather than spend their weekend up at Crane they came down and stayed at my cousin's....They loaded up some guns to go shooting...Cousin said whenever they shot his SIG P6 they (four came down)would decock it after every shot...Cuz knew they were trained on P226's and he finally asked why they didn't take the rest of the shots in SA mode rather than decocking it every time......

They said that is the way they are trained...Something about the most important shot they will ever take with a pistol is the first one so when they are shooting on paper they always decock first.....I thought it was interesting...What's funny is cuz was sending me texts as they were shooting...One of them had never fired a 1911 before and asked if he could shoot the Kimber (series one) 1911....Cuz said sure and handed it to him.....They were shooting at 15 yards and I got a text with a picture of one ragged hole...The first time that kid ever shot a 1911 was a group like that...Which goes to show that learning to shoot a double action well makes the transition to a single action mode smooth as silk.....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My cousin's best friend from childhood is a Navy SEAL...He and his team were in the region for some training and rather than spend their weekend up at Crane they came down and stayed at my cousin's....They loaded up some guns to go shooting...Cousin said whenever they shot his SIG P6 they (four came down)would decock it after every shot...Cuz knew they were trained on P226's and he finally asked why they didn't take the rest of the shots in SA mode rather than decocking it every time......

They said that is the way they are trained...Something about the most important shot they will ever take with a pistol is the first one so when they are shooting on paper they always decock first.....I thought it was interesting...What's funny is cuz was sending me texts as they were shooting...One of them had never fired a 1911 before and asked if he could shoot the Kimber (series one) 1911....Cuz said sure and handed it to him.....They were shooting at 15 yards and I got a text with a picture of one ragged hole...The first time that kid ever shot a 1911 was a group like that...Which goes to show that learning to shoot a double action well makes the transition to a single action mode smooth as silk.....

I think its a combination of hand strength and learning to isolate the trigger finger. A SA trigger can cover up a lot of weaknesses, a DA makes them real obvious. Sort of the same with small calibers, they'll let you get by with a lot more.

cgraydotcom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2014
    Warsaw
    Lots of great info guys. Thank you. My concern was, as pointed out, wasting my first shot until it becomes a familiar action. Interesting reading that forcing yourself to the double action could make you a better shooter in SA. I have tried a few SA/DA models, like the M&P, and XDS, and a Beretta. Hated the first 2, liked the Beretta. The M&P felt like a spring loaded dart gun when it fired. Don't care for plastic. The Beretta was a .40, so I didn't want to keep it. I'm looking at another Beretta in 9mm, so I might go ahead and pick one up.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lots of great info guys. Thank you. My concern was, as pointed out, wasting my first shot until it becomes a familiar action. Interesting reading that forcing yourself to the double action could make you a better shooter in SA. I have tried a few SA/DA models, like the M&P, and XDS, and a Beretta. Hated the first 2, liked the Beretta. The M&P felt like a spring loaded dart gun when it fired. Don't care for plastic. The Beretta was a .40, so I didn't want to keep it. I'm looking at another Beretta in 9mm, so I might go ahead and pick one up.

A good dry fire routine works wonders. Once you've got a strong and correct grip and have isolated your trigger finger, work on a smooth and consistent trigger pull. Don't slow down or try to stage it. One quick pull without disturbing the sights. There are some good dry fire resources online, it's more than just pointing a gun and pulling the trigger over and over.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Love my DA/SA traditional hammer auto.
    I have no idea why so many people fuss over this type of action so much.
    All the talk I hear that it's so onerous changing up from the longer, heavier DA trigger pull to the shorter, lighter SA trigger pull to me is just so much exaggeration.

cgraydotcom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2014
    Warsaw
    A good dry fire routine works wonders. Once you've got a strong and correct grip and have isolated your trigger finger, work on a smooth and consistent trigger pull. Don't slow down or try to stage it. One quick pull without disturbing the sights. There are some good dry fire resources online, it's more than just pointing a gun and pulling the trigger over and over.

Ive been doing that with my 1911's. Another good reason to pick up the Beretta. Thank you

cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    I've actually never fired a DA/SA. I've fired only revolvers and glocks. I really like the idea of DA/SA and I'm looking forward to checking it out in the not too distant future.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A good dry fire routine works wonders. Once you've got a strong and correct grip and have isolated your trigger finger, work on a smooth and consistent trigger pull. Don't slow down or try to stage it. One quick pull without disturbing the sights.

One thing I would add....

If one shoots revolvers try to find a "shooter" grade Smith and Wesson K 22 Combat Masterpiece/Model 18...It's a 4 inch K frame in .22 long rifle that is built like a tank.....Starting last year I made a vow to only shoot my revolvers double action...No "staging" (any Smith shooter will know what I am talking about) and do just like BBI says....It's frustrating at first but you will be surprised at how well you are eventually able to do....I shoot at a little one inch .22 gong at 20 to 25 yards...One thing I may add that BBI didn't mention is you eventually get this 'cadence" going while you are shooting double action. Once you hit that zone and cadence it's a blast hearing that little gong go "ting" 5 or 6 times per cylinder....

It's not natural and the only way you can get it is by dry fire practice or (better yet) shooting a couple of hundred .22's per weekend....

"One quick pull without disturbing the sights"....That's it in a nut shell...It's easier to type that than it is to do that but it can be done....

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm good with either DA/SA or DAO. I had a J-frame that I cut my DAO teeth on. I used to carry it and shot it quite abit. I actually got to the point where I enjoyed shooting it and became quite proficient with it accuracy wise at combat distances. I've since retired the J-frame and now carry a Sig P290 9mm which is DAO. I've also acquired a Lionheart LH9 that can be fired in 3 different conditions. DA/SA. SA cocked and locked or the third option of what they call "double action plus" Plenty of variety with this particular firearm.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "One quick pull without disturbing the sights"....That's it in a nut shell...It's easier to type that than it is to do that but it can be done....

Right? Liver transplant? Simple, you just take the old one out, plumb the new one in, close the hood, and you're done.

I shot from 85y today at a steel torso. 5/10 at slow fire. 4/10 vs a par time of 4 seconds from the holster. All DA. That's worse than I normally do, but I'm still getting the hang of this fiber optic front sight. For precise shooting I need to look at the sight around the dot, looking at the dot puts me a bit high. For instinctive shooting and 25y and in it works great. I get "visually confused" when I take my time and shift my focus to the front sight blade, though.

I'm really starting to see the appeal of the RDS on a pistol. Shooting with both eyes open is fatiguing after awhile trying to concentrate on your dominant eye and letting the non-dominant fuzz over.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Love my DA/SA traditional hammer auto.
    I have no idea why so many people fuss over this type of action so much.
    All the talk I hear that it's so onerous changing up from the longer, heavier DA trigger pull to the shorter, lighter SA trigger pull to me is just so much exaggeration.

Ab-so-lutely.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to oldpink again.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    The beauty of the DAO is the combination of a consistent trigger and the lack of unnecessary controls. No need to teach or worry about applying a safety or dropping a hammer prior to holstering OR swiping a safety off during the draw. It's just simple and simple is good. It completely frees your mind from 'handling' the weapon so you can concentrate entirely on 'shooting' the weapon. Until you try it you'll never know.

Having options on operating condition is a handicap,.....not an advantage. That falls under the heading of 'marketing'.

All that said, there's a huge difference between GOOD DAO and BAD DAO. My DAO collection runs over 80 pistols(if you include the DAO revo's and striker fired Glocks, etc). The best of the lot are all S&W,.......the K frame revolvers and the 3rd Gen autos. The later FNs are not bad and the Berettas, especially the Cougars, are very good. The FN forty-Nine, SIG P220, Mauser M2, and all the striker fired Glocks, etc have the simplicity angle down but not the trigger. All IMHO.

TDA or DA/SA is unnecessarily complicated for no return.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I have become a huge fan of the striker fire pistol. I cut my teeth on a 1911 and thought that a manual thumb safety and a grip safety were definitely the way to go, however, I have learned that my hand size and grip do not reliably activate the grip safety on a 1911 pistol, consequently, I started experimenting with striker fire pistols (Glock, XDM, M&P) and I find that with a little trigger enhancement (3.5# disconnector in a Glock, Powder River Trigger in an XDM, Apex Trigger in an M&P), these guns are great battle weapons with decent triggers and you never have to worry about "unnecessary controls" (as mentioned in the previous post)! And every trigger pull is the same!!! Of course, a good holster keeps them safe to carry and ready to go when needed.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The beauty of the DAO is the combination of a consistent trigger and the lack of unnecessary controls. No need to teach or worry about applying a safety or dropping a hammer prior to holstering OR swiping a safety off during the draw. It's just simple and simple is good. It completely frees your mind from 'handling' the weapon so you can concentrate entirely on 'shooting' the weapon. Until you try it you'll never know.

Having options on operating condition is a handicap,.....not an advantage. That falls under the heading of 'marketing'.

All that said, there's a huge difference between GOOD DAO and BAD DAO. My DAO collection runs over 80 pistols(if you include the DAO revo's and striker fired Glocks, etc). The best of the lot are all S&W,.......the K frame revolvers and the 3rd Gen autos. The later FNs are not bad and the Berettas, especially the Cougars, are very good. The FN forty-Nine, SIG P220, Mauser M2, and all the striker fired Glocks, etc have the simplicity angle down but not the trigger. All IMHO.

TDA or DA/SA is unnecessarily complicated for no return.

To each his own. I prefer DA/SA for several reasons.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a long history with both revolvers and 1911's, and can freely alternate both. The DA/SA, like the 92 fs Beretta CAN be cocked for the first shot for an SA string on target shooting. It is a good system in a carry gun, always available for a one handed draw without leaving a cocked hammer.

The only place on an IDPA match where the double action first shot bothered me is when the first target presentation is a short time available target and the extra tenths of a second for the first shot uses up the target time.

Other than that, it is still familiarity with your firearms. If you do dry fire and live fire practice on a regular basis, you will be competent with your arms, whatever you have.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Does it mean I'm really confused to say I prefer SA, whether it be in my Revolvers, my Hi-Powers or my P938 and P238, and carry a Kahr CM9 every day?

Top Bottom