• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's interesting because gold dot was the only one that gave me problems consistently. Had two initial loads jam ad the the 3rd round jammed on loading. 3 jams in 5 clips turned me off.

Not to throw another variable into it, but if you know anymore with a better quality mag, might try running them same HP's though using a different mag...

I'm not too familiar with 1911's, but what little I have seen myself have been mag issues rather than ammo....

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Winchester 230gr HP's and 230gr FMJ reloads seem to run fine through my Kimber. Tried them with cheap $8-$10 mags I got from Bradis for range mags as well as the the Kimber Tac Pro mags and haven't had any hiccups yet.

JRL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Broad Ripple
    The only mags I have used are what came with the gun.

Has anyone used third party mags and if so, have you had any luck?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

Wilson 47Ds work well for just about everybody, but there are a few exceptions (someone here on INGO recently complained they weren't working in his gun. I offered to take them off his hands :)). Chip McCormick PowerMags also have worked well in all my 1911s. Those two, Wilson and CMC, are what I rely on and have stocked up on. I also have a couple Metalform magazines I picked up along the way that have been 100%. These are all 8 round magazines. For 7 round magazines, if you're lucky the GI mags will run just fine. Otherwise, the Colt mags made by Metalform are the way to go, I'd say.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    USGI Hardball or it's equivalent, though I do have some USGI 45ACP tracers and USGI M15 45acp shot shells around here, I got some CCI 45 shotshells too

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Post # 25 answers that nicely...

I wasn't implying the ammo isn't the problem, but rather giving you another thought to try.... In times like this of crazy ammo availability and pricing, I thought if you had a buddy that could loan you another mag, it would be something that wouldn't cost you anything to try.... If it still continue to happen with a good quality mag, then you'd know definitely that your particular 1911, as is, doesn't like that bullet profile.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I would prefer to reverse the situation; have a 1911 that will shoot whatever ammo you have including other calibers (.22LR, 9mm, .40, .45 acp, etc.).

Like someone else mentioned, with practice FMJ should take care of any needs.

stevep48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I have run Blazer, Magtech and Armscor 230 through my R1..no problems.
    PMC 230 first 2 mags and the last round each didn't lock slide back, I now run the first round in the mag with one of the three above and no problems since

Golden Saber 185 +P 25 rounds with no issues so that is what's in it for carry

USMC-FF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm using American Eagle or Speer Lawman FMJ rounds for the range. Hornady Critical Duty for personal protection. Fired both without any issues through my Sig C3.

Top Bottom