• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Are wheel guns obsolete for EDC? I may be getting a gun for personal protection and I always grew up with revolvers and I didn't know if they were still "worth" it as a edc. My priority is concealment. I work at a really friendly business and I don't want some people who are uncomfortable around guns to know I have one. I really don't want anyone to know I have one (Not to turn this in to CC/OC). I'm not worried about the .38 round, I feel like its sufficient but I didnt know with today's double stacked 9's if it was silly to get a snubby.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Get what you're comfortable with. I would have no issue carrying a revolver around, either as a backup or a primary although my nickname may give an indication as to where I typically lean.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't know about "obsolete", but certainly not ideal as your primary carry piece. They have short barrels, limited capacity, longer/heavier triggers, inferior sights, require a different manual of arms, and are slow to reload.

IMO snubbies are better suited for backup duty.

In today's world of smaller, lighter, higher capacity, more accurate, and more ergonomic 9mms, I think you have better options out there.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    DSC00245.jpg

Rossi 357 mag 6 shot. EDC. I have had it for a long time. It is a smith model 66 copy.

A little big for pocket carry, strong side it does well or jacket pocket.

A handgun is only to provide enough time to retrieve a long gun.
    DSC00244.jpg

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I have no problem with a revolver for carry. I have semi autos I carry, but usually I have my Ruger SP101 357 with me. As far as people saying they have inferior acuracy and trigger pull than a semi auto, well that just bull :poop: just carry what you feel most comfortable with and can shoot acurately.
    rugersp101.jpg

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I carried an XD40 service semi auto but it was a large and heavy gun. I now mostly carry my S&W 642. Very comfortable to carry and very easy to conceal.

Both have their uses but if I was carrying all day at work and I wanted the comfort and concealment that you want, I would for sure be carrying the 642

IMG_4595.jpg

IMG_4596.jpg

Last edited:

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    personally i dont think a revolver would be obsolete but "inferior" for the size and weight you can get a much better semi-auto which is much easier to operate,load,better trigger/sights, and a wider variety of calibers.

i personally have never even owned/shot a revolver but i have handled many. besides the bad ass look of some and the powerful cartridges they are chambered in i cant see myself carrying one as a main gun. the only way i could see myself carrying one would be in my coat pocket in the winter and a semi-auto on my hip.or in my vehichle for easy access, along with a semi-auto on my hip.

if you feel more comfortable with one then you ahead and carry one, it would be better than nothing.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    personally i dont think a revolver would be obsolete but "inferior" for the size and weight you can get a much better semi-auto which is much easier to operate,load,better trigger/sights, and a wider variety of calibers.

i personally have never even owned/shot a revolver but i have handled many. besides the bad ass look of some and the powerful cartridges they are chambered in i cant see myself carrying one as a main gun. the only way i could see myself carrying one would be in my coat pocket in the winter and a semi-auto on my hip.or in my vehichle for easy access, along with a semi-auto on my hip.

if you feel more comfortable with one then you ahead and carry one, it would be better than nothing.
    Wow and you know all the things you listed without even shooting a revolver! Must be one smart fellow.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I don't know about "obsolete", but certainly not ideal as your primary carry piece. They have short barrels, limited capacity, longer/heavier triggers, inferior sights, require a different manual of arms, and are slow to reload.
    You need to get out more, that post is full of fail. :noway:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Are wheel guns obsolete for EDC? I may be getting a gun for personal protection and I always grew up with revolvers and I didn't know if they were still "worth" it as a edc. My priority is concealment. I work at a really friendly business and I don't want some people who are uncomfortable around guns to know I have one. I really don't want anyone to know I have one (Not to turn this in to CC/OC). I'm not worried about the .38 round, I feel like its sufficient but I didnt know with today's double stacked 9's if it was silly to get a snubby.

Look at the j frames from S&W, real nice guns, 38 or 357 +P, ankle or pocket carry, the airweights are damned near invisible, and with a little work at the range, you can unload and reload as fast any anyone.

If you want to meet at the range some afternoon and try a few, drop me a PM.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I sometimes carry a Colt Detective Special or a Colt Magnum Carry. I in no way feel under gunned with 6 rounds of .38 Special +P or .357 Magnum. I seem to remember reading some FBI stats a while back stating most personal protection gun fights are less than 5 feet away and around 3-5 shots. Don't remember the exact figures but that's close I think. Practice point shooting, lol. Get what YOU want to carry and feel comfortable with. :twocents:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I don't know about "obsolete", but certainly not ideal as your primary carry piece. They have short barrels, limited capacity, longer/heavier triggers, inferior sights, require a different manual of arms, and are slow to reload..

And they never jam.

I carried a revolver (4 inch .38 special) for a couple of decades. Never had to use it...but I knew in my mind it would never jam.

Now if you are going to compete with a bad guy that has his Tec 9 with the fun sized 30 round mag....you might be in trouble...until it jams.

FREE ADVICE: How to make your revolver more accurate, guaranteed - PRACTICE WITH IT WEEKLY

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Revolvers are way too under rated! I started out on revolvers and still carry them. I have my share of autos but I use revolvers just as much. As far as any issues trigger, sights, capacity etc. It all boils down to prior programming. While today's autos are night and day from the ones in the mid 80's revolvers still don't jam, are not ammo sensitive, and have decent power.

If you are comfortable with what you have thats all that matters.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My winter carry is a Charter Arms Bull Pug .44 Special. It will get the job done, if I should ever need it to. I also carried a .357 revolver for many years. Don't let anyone tell you they won't get the job done. I drop mine in my pocket in the winter and I'm out the door. I'd suggest a .357 over a .38, tho, (but that's just me). You can load it up with .38's if you want and use them for practice, too. I like the .44, tho. Just has a little more oomph to it.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I think that for the OP the size and concealability is the biggest factors. If you want a small semi auto check out the Ruger LCP 6+1 shots of 380. Very small gun and lightweight. It will be so comfortable you will not mind carrying it all day everyday. THe cost is very cheap at under $300.00

It has nothing for sights but as was pointed out by previous posters you are shooting at close range in most instances.

S&W 642 IMHO is an excellent light weight small revolver if you want a revolver. 5 shots of +P 38. Again, light weight and concealable for all day carry. I got mine for under $400.00 after the S&W $50.00 rebate.

There are certainly other choices out there but these two are fine weapons for small and lightweight, relatively low cost, quality firearms.

And if you think you can't hit anything with the small sights on either one - try watching Hickok45 youtube reviews of these weapons. Practice is everything.

Good luck with your choice.

Top Bottom