When did Indianapolis start going down hill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    I remember the 90's and early 00's and Indy seemed nicer. It wasn't paradise, but it wasn't like it is today. That being said, there are much older and wiser people on this message board than me. So my question is simple, when did Indy take a turn for the worse?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Per capita, the difference in homicide rates between 1997 and the 2021 is .003%.

Just the first and last year I had easy access to full year stats, but I suspect whateve 'downhill' has occurred has been more of a wave and the constant barrage of media sources makes a pretty similar set of crime stats seem much worse today than a couple of news casts and a paper made it seem back then. The 24 hour cable news cycle made everything go down hill, at least if you watch it.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think there is a difference in the immediate downtown area in the last 15 years that’s noticeable. Sure early 2000’s you had some homeless and some “disadvantaged youth” running around but not nearly what you see today.

I remember my wife pointing out about 5 years ago the sheer number of “young adults” clearly not old enough to go to the bars just hanging out looking like they were up to no good around downtown well after midnight. I’m sure most were under 18 but no one enforced curfew so what’s it matter. If they were 21 they would have been at the bars or club hopping like everyone else.

Last time we went downtown to go out my wife’s friend (small female type) got her eye socket shattered while sitting at an outdoor table by some guy who was out of his mind on drugs. Just randomly haymakered her out of no where. I was DD’ing that trip and said person is incredibly lucky I went hands on with him, what did I get for my troubles? I got ruffed up by a bouncer for apprehending him.

Ya downtown, no thanks. Not the same place it used to be. I’ll stick with the suburbs. Fishers and Carmel are doing a great job bringing the old school downtown vibe without the crime and **** smell.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I remember the 90's and early 00's and Indy seemed nicer. It wasn't paradise, but it wasn't like it is today. That being said, there are much older and wiser people on this message board than me. So my question is simple, when did Indy take a turn for the worse?
    It's not really

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I first noticed a difference around 2015 or so, when just walking back to the parking garage after taking the girls to Disney on Ice, we passed a drug deal taking place, right out in the open. Maybe that was always happening right downtown, and I just had never noticed?

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    My theory is that hurricanes Katrina (2005 Gulf Coast), Rita (Houston 2005) and Ike (Houston 2008) and a few others had led to mass migration out of the effected areas.

When I get the time I'm going to pull data just for Marion County, as well as a few other stats, and graph it.

2010 is when violent crime in Indiana as a whole went up, a quick look shows Marion County following that.

FBI has improved their website over the years... much easier to find info now.

1658498054975.png

1658498176205.png

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Per capita, the difference in homicide rates between 1997 and the 2021 is .003%.

Just the first and last year I had easy access to full year stats, but I suspect whateve 'downhill' has occurred has been more of a wave and the constant barrage of media sources makes a pretty similar set of crime stats seem much worse today than a couple of news casts and a paper made it seem back then. The 24 hour cable news cycle made everything go down hill, at least if you watch it.
    No truer words, just look back to stats starting back in the 60’s. Crime is down so much you won’t believe it.

24 hr. info/news and the manipulation of said info. to manipulate peoples thought and opinion is the real problem. Now add to that a lot of folks don’t or won’t read anything with historical meanings or context and you have a real problem.

A for instance, how many people here realize that in WW II the U.S. sent more equipment and resources to Russia than we sent to England?

Point being, if it didn’t happen today or yesterday it doesn’t matter. JMO.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    For me it isn`t just the increase in violence, it`s the increase in what appears to be illegals. We live in what was not that long ago, a really nice, somewhat high end housing addition, but it`s changed and is still changing. Many houses, regardless of the HOA covenants, have multiple families living in them. Much of the landscaping and yardwork isn`t being maintained in many houses. Hordes of people ignoring the sidewalks and walking down the middle of the streets, the looks they shoot, daring anyone to say something to them. The vehicles FLY through the neighborhood, and stop signs aren`t even a suggestion anymore. It`s like they`re not there. I don`t hear much English spoken when I`m driving with the windows down. I think that Indianapolis in general has been sliding downhill since around 2015, then hit rock bottom when the idiot mayor allowed downtown Indy to be burned and vandalized recently. Our particular area has been noticeably worse since there was a home shot into something like 6 years ago. There`s a lot more to that story, but it was basically a drive-by.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Seems to me like there are far more people openly using and selling drugs in commonly open and high traffic areas. Couple that with what appears to be a much higher homeless rate and begging outside shopping centers and gas stations and it just seems mich worse.
    Those who are begging seem to be getting much more aggressive about it. Some just won't accept "sorry, I can't help you". Wife had a lady follow her through a drive through begging for gas money.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If your city trends downward in "quality of life crimes," the city's turd-polishers shift talk to "homicides."

If your city is a homicide center for excellence, you blame it on A) other states, or B) lack of federal funds.

Every city in America is "on the spectrum."

Top Bottom