• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was watching news and keep hearing of how Zionsville has a hate for Wal-Mart....didn't think much about it until I seen them interview a couple of people.....man, they sure seem to think they are something special, lol.

Back to my hole.........

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Uh, that started about 50 years ago and spread rapidly through the town. How long has the Rolls Royce dealer been there? Adam's Rib and the artsy-fartsy shops on Main St. contrasted with the blue collar Friendly Tavern. I think it really started when they paved Main Street with bricks or cobblestones or whatever they were.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    They don't like the small business super killer. What's wrong with that?

You can not like it without making yourself sound too good to be near a Walmart........

It don't look like Walmart killed Avon, Brownsburg or Plainfield small businesses, they are everywhere! And in fact, my buddy who runs the hardware store in Danville said his business is way up since they opened the new Walmart.

Can you tell me of one town where Walmart has made it a ghost town? Not saying it don't happen.........just I can't find anywhere it has happened.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    You can not like it without making yourself sound too good to be near a Walmart........

It don't look like Walmart killed Avon, Brownsburg or Plainfield small businesses, they are everywhere! And in fact, my buddy who runs the hardware store in Danville said his business is way up since they opened the new Walmart.

Can you tell me of one town where Walmart has made it a ghost town? Not saying it don't happen.........just I can't find anywhere it has happened.

Greencastle. But, that can't all be blamed on Walmart. They have their own issues and problems to contribute to that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When did Zionsville get all uppity? I would guess it was some time before the Rolls/Bentley dealer moved in downtown....and all them quaint restaurants.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    When did Zionsville get all uppity? I would guess it was some time before the Rolls/Bentley dealer moved in downtown....and all them quaint restaurants.

I can remember when Zionsville was a little hick town like Danville and Avon (at that time)before Avon was a town.......and that was long after the Rolls dealer. I read an article about that dealer that was written in the 80's.....they said they had only sold 12 or fewer Rolls locally since opening in late 60's....the article joked about how farmers didn't drive them. The show room had 1 used car in it. Rich people would come from all over the US to deal with them because of customer service and attention given to each individual buyer, as well as they were 1 of 3 dealers in the US allowed to use Rolls Royce in name. NY city and Hollywood were the other two.

Not sure what a quaint restaurant is so I taint comment on that.

BTW, I plow snow in Zionsville at an apartment complex...everyone seemed very friendly and nice to me, now I probably know why:) I am half joking with this post so add purple where needed....

Full disclosure: I can't stand going in Walmart. Too big for me....I stick with Krogers if at all possible, even though I have tried to shop at Walmart...other than ammo and ink, I don't have much of a need for them. At least the Walmart forced Krogers to lower prices...that's a plus.

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    It's not gonna effect the businesses already there. It's the clientele and workers that wouldn't fit into the zionsville scheme. It will probably happen but there will be several very tight a@#ed women very upset about it.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I mean, honestly where they wnat to put it isn't "zionsville" in the sense of the town itself. They're just being a bunch of doofuses. Wife and I would love there to be another nicer walmart nearby. Brownsburg has gotten so busy and LEbanon isn't as large.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I can understand where they are coming from....I thought when they built a Walmart in Danville it was the start of the end. I wasn't really for it. I have seen since then that many businesses that are locally owned tell me they are doing better. The hardware guy says they are 20-30% more busier now, prior to Walmart. He attributes it to the fact more people come to town to shop at Walmart and hit the hardware store at same time. It's hard to get a guy to drive from 15-20 miles away to go to a hardware store for plumbing parts & screws...but if they drive by going to Walmart why not stop in and get them screws or other specials. Same with the pizza shops, fast food places and even Krogers and Dollar Store. Then when you think about how many people it employs. The only down side is crime. I bet DPD has busted more shoplifters in the last 6 months, since that place opened, then probably the last 10 years total!! It's all the time, seems like everyday. People must be stupid.

Like bobzilla said, I guess I could understand if this building was downtown Zionsville.....but honestly, where they are building I consider Indianapolis.

I remember when the people of Danville was all up in the air over an asphalt plant coming to town. They thought it would create too much traffic with dump trucks and smell. It was located by a railroad track, a stinky dump that takes 100's of trucks a day, a concrete plant that runs 100's of trucks in and out a day, and a future mulch plant that has 100's of trucks in and out a day. The county and town spent money trying to stop it because some people didn't like it, most of whom hadn't lived in Danville for long. But when it came time to build a Walmart in the same area...all the sudden the 1000's of cars a day didn't matter to them.

You can never please everyone.........

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    So why were these folks not up-in-arms about the Lowe's out on Oak Street(Whitestown Parkway), or the Meijer, or all the other franchise/chain places to eat?
    I have worked for several clients around Z'ville, and they have been some of the best people to work for.
    I saw the news story, and I attribute it to squeeky wheel gets their 15 seconds of camera time.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    So why were these folks not up-in-arms about the Lowe's out on Oak Street(Whitestown Parkway), or the Meijer, or all the other franchise/chain places to eat?
    I have worked for several clients around Z'ville, and they have been some of the best people to work for.
    I saw the news story, and I attribute it to squeeky wheel gets their 15 seconds of camera time.

Because those are Whitestown. They have no control overwhat they do.

Top Bottom