• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I've been thinking lately about when it is appropriate to draw my weapon without getting myself into legal trouble.

Someone breaks into the restaurant where I'm eating and starts shooting it's a clear scenario. Same thing if someone makes it through my front door in the middle of the night.

But most likely, on the street, I am going to be in the middle of trouble before I have time to draw. Would-be muggers and others wishing me (or my lady) harm are not going to announce it from 50ft away. If I sense trouble, or feel I may need to protect myself, when does the gun come out?

If two suspicious guys are coming my way on the same sidewalk, they will be in my face before I recognize trouble, unholster, and draw. On the other hand, if I draw and they were just going to try and give me a flyer to some band playing in the area, I look like a crazy person.

So WHEN do you bring out the firepower? How do you weigh the situation, make the right decision, AND protect yourself all at the same time?

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    There is only one obvious answer to me...

When you fear for your life........or the lives of your loved ones.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    There is a very fine line there on when to or not to pull your weapon as we all know. 9 times out of 10 you will not have time to pull your gun and will have to use hand to hand until you can get to a position where you can pull your gun to defend yourself or loved one(s). I highly reccomend taking some defensive/combat handgun courses and study up on the Indiana code regarding such situations also. There is a thread here on INGO about an Indiana gun law class,you may want to sign up for that too if you can. Force on force training helps alot too!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    When do you draw? When someone needs killin'.

When does someone need killin'? When they bring you the possibility of death or grave bodily harm.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I understand this. I just want to do it before I get a knife in the chest or a gun in my face.
    If you are within 21 feet +/- and someone is coming at you with a knife you will not be able to draw and shoot before being stabbed unless you step off to the side while drawing and shoot or proceed backwards while drawing and shooting to put more distance between your attacker and yourself. Just a little advice. Personally if it were me and I felt my life or someone I love is in danger (by reading body language ,facial expressions,hand positioning,etc) then I will draw my weapon. Its always better to be safe than sorry...or dead!

Last edited:

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    If you are within 21 feet +/- and someone is coming at you with a knife you will not be able to draw and shoot before being stabbed unless you step off to the side while drawing and shoot or proceed backwards while drawing and shooting to put more distance between your attacker and yourself.

No one is going to draw a knife 21 feet away and charge at me. They are going to look harmless and be ignoring me until they are on me and then they will stick it in my ribs or against my neck to make their demands. This is the reason for my question.

So perhaps rule #1 aside from maintaining situational awareness is to maintain distance from EVERYONE when in a questionable situation. Cross the street, stay where there are people, etc.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Here I drew mine for ya!! a few of them to be exact! :D

concept_guns_carlos_ranna.jpg

J/K everyone has posted the correct answer, in fear of life or limb, and be able to articulate that after the fact!! :D

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Benefits of having a BUG in a pocket holster; you can be half-drawn and nobody knows it but you. Might not be the best gun you're carrying; but its certainly going to give pause to whoever takes the rounds from it, and hopefully give you time to reach your bigger gun.

If I was walking down a crowded street at mid-day, and somebody suspicious was walking towards me....I might place my hand on my weapon casually. Since its right behind my hip, I can pretend I'm rubbing my sore back. It'll look a bit awkward, but I'm ok with that.

Same situation at night, without people around....I may draw and just hold it close to my leg. Or perhaps slide it out of the holster, and tuck it into the front of my waistband if I get the chance to, so I can get a faster draw if need be.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I try to avoid trouble and will go out of my way to do so. I am not one of these "I have a gun and I have the right to be here" kind if guys. I'd rather not give an attorney $10,000 +/- just to get no-billed on a good shoot when I could have crossed the street.

I'd say you have to go with your gut. While there are no "brandishing" laws here, there are intimidation and pointing a firearm. Years ago while walking with my girlfriend in Cleveland, OH were were along the lake shore on the weekend and the area we were in was deserted and not really nice. I was new to the area and this was a mistake. Along came a group of young men with pants around their knees and hoodies on. They were on the other side of the street, still greater than 50 yards away. Up came the hoods and they crossed the street. We crossed the street too to avoid them, but they crossed back over. The two of us, alone in a deserted area, I drew my 1911, finger off the trigger and held it pointed down at my side as we walked. The young men crossed the street again, lol!

Your awareness level is everything. Even still, a well prepared criminal is going to have the element of surprise. If you fear for your life, DRAW! Other than that you can set some self-limits that will help you decide i.e: "IF they cross the street with me I'm going to reach and grip my handgun.... if/when they get to that post right there I'll draw" etc.

The NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Course will help you understand and develop such limits. We do not offer this course but there are NRA instructors all over the state that do.

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I try to avoid trouble and will go out of my way to do so. I am not one of these "I have a gun and I have the right to be here" kind if guys. I'd rather not give an attorney $10,000 +/- just to get no-billed on a good shoot when I could have crossed the street.

I'd say you have to go with your gut. While there are no "brandishing" laws here, there are intimidation and pointing a firearm. Years ago while walking with my girlfriend in Cleveland, OH were were along the lake shore on the weekend and the area we were in was deserted and not really nice. I was new to the area and this was a mistake. Along came a group of young men with pants around their knees and hoodies on. They were on the other side of the street, still greater than 50 yards away. Up came the hoods and they crossed the street. We crossed the street too to avoid them, but they crossed back over. The two of us, alone in a deserted area, I drew my 1911, finger off the trigger and held it pointed down at my side as we walked. The young men crossed the street again, lol!

:): This is an awesome story. The other consideration that helps here is that those guys are not going to go to the police or their lawyer if you err on the side of early prevention and intimidate them.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You're right, you won't have time to draw if the criminal has the jump on you. It is better to deter and avoid an encounter if you can. I OC for the deterrence and try to keep my situational awareness up all the time.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If someone is going to attack you, the best "Block" to know and have for your defense is 5 "Blocks" away.

I'm with the others here about situational awareness and going out of your way to avoid danger, if you can help it.

Better safe than sorry any day of the week!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A couple of years ago the Bedford police put on a basic firearms and self defense class. It was presented by several of the officers + the chief. It was a really descent value and quite informative on these types questions. They usually do it in the fall and the cost is a bargain. You might check to see if something like that is available where youre at.

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    A couple of years ago the Bedford police put on a basic firearms and self defense class. It was presented by several of the officers + the chief. It was a really descent value and quite informative on these types questions. They usually do it in the fall and the cost is a bargain. You might check to see if something like that is available where youre at.

Ken Campbell, the Boone Co. Sheriff, has done this in the past. I think I've seen a thread about it on here somewhere. I don't know if there are any in the works right at the moment, but it did get good reviews from people who attended. I would sign up if I ever see it available.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If I pull it then theres a 99% chance im using it. I only use it if im in fear of my life or severe bodily harm or that of a loved one or an innocent person (but thats a grey area for me). if someone is good with a knife you will never know they had one till your stabbed, and I can show you. so many people think they are gonna have plenty of time to draw when in reallity they wont. the average person will look like a fumbling idiot when they try to pull their gun to protect themselves and then they will get killed. people who carry a gun and wanna be serious about self defense need to pay and get some good training and keep practicing those skills. also people have this unreal expectation of how they will perform in a hand to hand confrontation. do most people know how they will react when punched in the face? no, the first time it happens they will likely freak out providing their attacker with the time needed to kill them. I still think everyone should carry guns and be able too legally, but if you want to take your life and your loved ones lives in your hands and do them justice then please get trained. going to the range and static shooting isnt training FYI. also if you have a doubt when you pull your gun out then your probly not even gonna pull the trigger even if you need to. killing another human is not a natural thing for your brain, even if your defending yourself. so every advantage you can give yourself will help

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I checked the bedford newspaper site to see if theyve announced a class for this year---no luck. But heres a description of the class they offered-- if interested:

BEDFORD — The Bedford Police Department is offering a spring civilian firearms training school.

Classroom training will be from 6-9 p.m. on Friday at the Bedford Area Chamber of conference room, with range training from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday at the firing range on Tunnelton Road.

Classroom topics will include choosing the correct firearm; legal issues regarding firearms; ballistics/stopping power; right to carry laws in various states; and confidence in yourself and your firearms. Range day activities will include marksmanship fundamentals, and shooting drills and movements.

Those attending the class must have a handgun (do not bring loaded weapon to class); supply 200 rounds of ammunition; have eye protection; hearing protection; and a hat.

Cost is $50 per person. Class is limited to the first 25 registrants.

For more information, call Capt. Steve Gilbert, 275-1648.

Copyright: TMNews.com 2010

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    No one is going to draw a knife 21 feet away and charge at me. They are going to look harmless and be ignoring me until they are on me and then they will stick it in my ribs or against my neck to make their demands. This is the reason for my question.

So perhaps rule #1 aside from maintaining situational awareness is to maintain distance from EVERYONE when in a questionable situation. Cross the street, stay where there are people, etc.

In some cases yes.In some no(21 feet isnt that far and this is at a maximum distance) ,hence my earlier posts. I was merely saying that it has been proven and to maintain situational awareness. I was assuming you did this anyway. Like I said 99% of the time some hand to hand (whatever technique(s) works best for you)/CQB techniques will have to be deployed until such time that you can draw your firearm in a defensive situation. Thats just the reality of it. Thats why you train and keep training so that IF you are ever put into an unfortunate situation where you have to take a life to protect another life or your own you will know what to do and react!
    Now as far as maintaining distance from everyone in a questionable situation I say yes, if you can. I try not to surround myself with people or places that common "questionable situations" could be found but I know sometimes we get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time at no fault of our own.Hopefully none of you are EVER put into a situation like that but like I said all one can do is TRAIN, seek training from others, and train our loved ones. I attend on average 4 courses of one kind or another a year because thats about all my schedule allows right now but would like to go to more. You are NEVER finished learning no matter how much you think you know so train hard and you will learn something new everytime!:ingo:

Top Bottom