• ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    EDC stays loaded all the time except to clean, then I have another gun ready to rock right beside me while the EDC is getting cleaned, just in case.:twocents:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    As Kirk would say "Stop touching it, just stop it".
    If you give a hoot about your loved ones in the house:
    The more you handle it, the more the odds increase you will have a negligent discharge.
    The gun should remain loaded and ready to fire at all times, unless being cleaned or practicing dry fire.
    The "loaded" gun should always remain under your control. If it stops being under your control, then lock it up. On the shelf does not cut it.
    Preferably it should be in a holster that you can remove from your body, leave the gun in the holster and lock it up in the holster. Repeat process when you want to wear it. Leave it in the holster.

It's not for show and tell either. Leave it alone.
    If you are not loading it and unloading it pointed at a sand barrel, you are doing it wrong.

It always amazes me that folks will spend $800.00 on a gun, then want to cheapout on the $14.00 holster that is dangerous, or not want to spend $20.00 on some sort of lock box.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    The more you handle it, the more the odds increase you will have a negligent discharge.
    The gun should remain loaded and ready to fire at all times, unless being cleaned or practicing dry fire.
    The "loaded" gun should always remain under your control. If it stops being under your control, then lock it up. On the shelf does not cut it.
    Preferably it should be in a holster that you can remove from your body, leave the gun in the holster and lock it up in the holster. Repeat process when you want to wear it. Leave it in the holster.

If you are not loading it and unloading it pointed at a sand barrel, you are doing it wrong.

It always amazes me that folks will spend $800.00 on a gun, then want to cheapout on the $14.00 holster that is dangerous, or not want to spend $20.00 on some sort of lock box.

:+1:

RedTJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Lafayette area
    Then I've been doing it wrong my entire life and its my assumption I'll continue down the wrong path. Come to think of it, I've never seen a single person load nor unload a gun pointed into a sand barrel.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Then I've been doing it wrong my entire life and its my assumption I'll continue down the wrong path. Come to think of it, I've never seen a single person load nor unload a gun pointed into a sand barrel.

When I unchamber my gun, I aim it at my neighbors' house. It's Brick. :):

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

See post #34 of this thread.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

A sand barrel isn't required. It is just a very good safety measure that not enough people use.

I don't use a sand barrel, but instead have a block of old, large phone books duct-taped together to perform the same function. I always use it when unloading and switching to dry fire practice.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

Well said. Rep inbound.

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yep :): pretty much same all around I'd say. You don't disable your alarm if you have one, why would you disarm yourself? No, you can't always chamber a round fast enough.

I've always got a live round chambered, and pretty much every gun in my safe stays chambered. If a live round isn't chambered the mags loaded and in the gun, ready to rock and roll if the need arises.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

And that makes it ok how?
    I see this exact sentiment at the range regularly. After some yahoo muzzles me, and I call him out on it. I get the indigent "I've been handling guns all me life". My canned reply has become. "Apparently you've been doing it wrong all that time, stop pointing the d*mn thing at me.".

rjh78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm always chambered, unless it's getting cleaned, or I need to surrender it at an ECP. Otherwise you run the risk of assuming it's chambered when it's not when you're in a pinch.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Only time my defensive guns are empty is during cleaning. My HD rifle and shotgun are always chambered.

rjh78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    And that makes it ok how?
    I see this exact sentiment at the range regularly. After some yahoo muzzles me, and I call him out on it. I get the indigent "I've been handling guns all me life". My canned reply has become. "Apparently you've been doing it wrong all that time, stop pointing the d*mn thing at me.".

I was at a backwoods range in OK a few years ago when some kid muzzled me as he loaded his shiny new 308 AR. Thankfully I didn't even get the chance to warn him about what would happen the next time he pointed a loaded weapon at me, because his father stepped in and did it for me.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Both of my EDC guns (G19 and M&P Shield(, like most others, stay chambered all the time even when they're in the safe. However, they are also in the holster at all times when they are loaded. I never just put a loaded gun in the door panel without a holster, more than anything just to say "hey, I'm loaded". The two reasons I do this is 1: bullet setback. I don't have the $$$ to never chamber the same round twice as some people do and unload my gun every day. HPs are expensive.. Second is it is just annoying to have to load my gun every time I go out instead of just grabbing it from the safe.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Both of my EDC guns (G19 and M&P Shield(, like most others, stay chambered all the time even when they're in the safe. However, they are also in the holster at all times when they are loaded. I never just put a loaded gun in the door panel without a holster, more than anything just to say "hey, I'm loaded". The two reasons I do this is 1: bullet setback. I don't have the $$$ to never chamber the same round twice as some people do and unload my gun every day. HPs are expensive.. Second is it is just annoying to have to load my gun every time I go out instead of just grabbing it from the safe.

I don't know if it has been stated already, but let's expand on that point as well. One could get in the habit of playing the "is it loaded" game. You never keep one in the chamber and always remember to unchamber, right? Until you or someone else pulls the trigger, only to find out there was a live round in there the whole time, and the gun hadn't been cleared because you always remember what state your gun is in.

Granted, one would have to fail to follow firearms safety rules, but I can see it adding additional risk.

Top Bottom