• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Here’s something to ponder that developed in another thread, that I thought deserved a thread if it’s own.

License exempt hunter shoots animal on their property. Wounded animal runs to neighbor property. You have neighbors permission to retrieve game. Are you now “hunting” without a license? Did the “hunt” end with the shot?

What constitutes “hunting”? I cannot find a legal definition in the Indiana code.

I did notice in the code: (r) An individual must not hunt deer except from one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise to one-half (1/2) hour after sunset.

This pretty clearly tells me if I’m tracking a wounded deer past 30m post sunset, shot (hunted) during legal hours, I’m no longer “hunting”. I’ve never heard anyone charged with hunting outside legal hours for tracking a deer as a above.

I don’t typically hunt near property lines, but should animal I wounded wind up on neighbor farm, which I have their permission to retrieve game, i would feel pretty good leaning on the above verbiage that I’m not “hunting “, i’m now retrieving. I’d love to hear more opinions on the matter.

Similar question about a coup de gras shot to said wounded animal, after legal hunting hours. IMO, this crosses into more dicey territory, but is that still “hunting”? The answer to this question is just as relevant for any hunter with any license on public or private property. Thoughts?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    See the below definition but if pursuing a downed animal past your property line while claiming an exemption you may want to get the law involved and on your side early. Wanton waste is a far worse crime that continuing the “hunt” off your property.
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]IC 14-8-2-128"Hunt"
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Sec. 128. "Hunt", for purposes of IC 14-22, means to take a wild animal except by trapping.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]IC 14-8-2-278"Take"
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Sec. 278. "Take" has the following meaning:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](1) For purposes of IC 14-22, except as provided in subdivisions (2) and (3):[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](A) to kill, shoot, spear, gig, catch, trap, harm, harass, or pursue a wild animal; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](B) to attempt to engage in such conduct.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](2) For purposes of IC 14-22-6-16, the meaning set forth in IC 14-22-6-16(b).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](3) For purposes of [/FONT]IC 14-22-34[FONT=&quot], the meaning set forth in [/FONT]IC 14-22-34-5[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    See the below definition but if pursuing a downed animal past your property line while claiming an exemption you may want to get the law involved and on your side early. Wanton waste is a far worse crime that continuing the “hunt” off your property.

Thats what I was looking for. Perfect. Thanks!

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Here is another scenario. The use of artificial light. You shoot a deer during legal shooting hours, deer runs off. You wait 30-45 minutes, legal shooting light has expired, its dark. You are following blood with a light and come upon wounded deer bedded and still alive. How do you finish it off without the aid of your light? Technically you are in the wrong due to the use of light, if a CO was near and heard or witnessed the shot and wanted to nail you, he could. I was in this situation a couple of years ago. I used my best
    judgement and finished it off.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Here is another scenario. The use of artificial light. You shoot a deer during legal shooting hours, deer runs off. You wait 30-45 minutes, legal shooting light has expired, its dark. You are following blood with a light and come upon wounded deer bedded and still alive. How do you finish it off without the aid of your light? Technically you are in the wrong due to the use of light, if a CO was near and heard or witnessed the shot and wanted to nail you, he could. I was in this situation a couple of years ago. I used my best
    judgement and finished it off.
    I would do the same in the same situation.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would think that a CO would size up the situation before accusing you of spotlighting or after hours hunting. They're people too.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Perhaps a text to buddy or wife immediately after your shot, & a follow-up text that you have a wounded deer & going to search for it. Not a legal document, but still provides a time stamp to your actions. I hunt well off the road, not unusual for me to be dressing & dragging deer well after dark.

Top Bottom