• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Much better stated than "If you're going to pull it, you had better be prepared to use it, otherwise don't pull it". Utter and complete BS.

Hey OP - have you had any formal firearms training?

FIFY. Thats how I was taught. Meaning intimidation is NOT one of the uses of the weapon, and if that is all you are comfortable with and are not prepared mentally to pull the trigger and take a life, you either need to not carry, or keep it in the holster until you ARE ready to put your booger hook to work.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Street robberies and you - The Basics - AR15.COM

Life isn't always black and white. A store robbery might dictate a much different response than a possible mugging in a dark alley.

The body language thugs on the street understand might be different than a retail robber. Sometimes it might be better to at least show you have a gun, even if you aren't to the point of drawing it yet.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    After the third date.:dunno:

Well, if she want's to see it on the first date, she'll probably be more fun at the range. :):

Seriously, though, I don't think that there can be a standard answer to "when should I pull it," since every situation has its unique considerations. You absolutely shouldn't draw unless you are justified in using it, but outside of that rule, tactical considerations will determine when its prudent to draw in order to give yourself the greatest advantage. Can you get to cover? What is your backstop? Can you surprise the bad guy while he is distracted?

Here's a interesting video of an off duty cop who got robbed at gunpoint and used distraction to his advantage:

LiveLeak.com - Robber tries to take the wallet of an Off Duty Cop.

Jwmeador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Franklin
    I bet there are already threads on this but what do you guys think is the right time to pull out your pistol . If your in let's say some sort of store that's being robbed if no one is being hurt is it best to keep it in the holster or pull it out like dirty harry

In my opinion the best time to pull your gun is right when you are ready to use it to kill someone. You have to assume things will come to you being being forced to shoot right away after pulling your gun. You pull your gun ANYTIME sooner and situation that could have been solved otherwise now can become deadly when it did not have to be. If i ever pull my gun the situation will have to 100% mean im going to have to shoot somebody. I will never pull it for any other reason until i have made the decision the situation calls for taking someones life.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It's how you use it that counts.

Be ready when the time is right.

a09e5c70a3510fc30ebf17d75cfe59af.jpg

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Threads like this one are the worst place for humor.

OP: research the justifiable use of deadly force and keep it concealed or in the holster until you're within the law to use it (unless you're ready for an extended stay at the crossbar motel).

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Threads like this one are the worst place for humor.

OP: research the justifiable use of deadly force and keep it concealed or in the holster until you're within the law to use it (unless you're ready for an extended stay at the crossbar motel).

Geez, Lighten up Francis. Grab some caffeine.

In the OP's scenario I will be in defensive mode. IF I'm out of sight I'll have gun in hand ready to make some noise if absolutely necessary. This might include hundreds of possibilities.
    IF I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time I'll just have to play it by ear. My survival and the survival of others is the priority.

Top Bottom