• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Is it generally a good idea to blur out the serial number? Is there a privacy concern if the serial is revealed?

I do blur it out if it's clearly readable, however was not sure if this was common practice or not. Sort of like blurring out the license plate number on a car before posting photos of it online.

Just curious. Figured there are people on here and other places online who could look up those numbers if they got bored or felt inclined to, and wasn't for sure what personal info could be found by doing so.

So, what do you guys think?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Some people do it, other people don't. There is really no reason for it since there is no database or firearm serials to owners. The only means to "trace" a firearm is to start at the manufacturer and try to trace a gun's serial to the owner. But that is a manual process and relies on dealer paperwork being combed through.

If I had serial numbers for your guns, what could I do with them? Nothing...

But it you are paranoid and think the NSA is tracking you and your guns, even though they would NEVER do something like that, then by all means hide the numbers... Then you'll be "safe" from govt. spying... ;)

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Potentially someone could make a stolen weapons report with your weapon's model and serial number. If played right, it could at least be a major PITA

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    I'd go with it being overkill, making only slightly more sense than blurring out your license plate in car pics.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Unless you are a female with good hygiene and polish.
    Then it is very cool.

And this breaks all of those rules...kind of...

uzi.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There are some firearms that it is nice to see the serial number. As a collector the serial of a Browning Hi-power, or Beretta 92 series tells the complete story of the pistol.

As for toes, gregkl nailed it, photo shop negates the need for a special lens. :D

Top Bottom