• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Whenever I have to go through Ohio I always first see if I can go down and around Kentucky so I actually don't have to go through Ohio.

But if it is unavoidable here is what I do.

I stop at the Bob Evans on 275 in Kentucky just before the Ohio Border. One because it is real close to Ohio and to because I just gotta have me some Stuffed Hotcakes

When I am done. I go out to my car, take off my gun(s) unload the mags, place the gun(s) in one lock box and place the ammo and mags in the other lock box.
    I then bury it underneath all my stuff in the trunk so it is as inaccessible as I can make it. Then I walk around my car backwards three times while spitting through my fingers praying to the Almighty that I am not stopped anywhere in that communist state. I then get in my car and proceed to hold my breath until I leave the last square inch of that soil.

Once I am out of Ohio. I get out of the car, place a rug on the ground facing west to Indiana and bow 3 times with my head to the ground, giving thanks for the freedoms I have there.

I then get my gun(s) reload, place back it back in my holster(s), get back in my car and start whistling [ame="http://youtu.be/Of9xC_jnIk4"]On The Banks Of The Wabash, Far Away[/ame]

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Get a Florida, Utah or Arizona permit. Stop at Bob Evans for good food as usual. Leave the gun in your holster. Drive through Communist Ohio, holding your breath if you so desire, at a constant speed of 5 mph over the posted limit. Enter the land of the free, Pennsylvania, take a deep breath of freedom and look for the nearest Dutch Pantry.

The only thing I do in Ohio is leave my bodily deposits. :D Ohio is like NYC. All I want to do there is get out!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    As long as you can "lawfully possess and carry" your handgun at your place of destination, it appears that you are complying very nicely with the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, 18 U.S.C. 926(A), while traveling through Ohio.

Just my :twocents:, not legal advice.

Guy

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Get a Florida, Utah or Arizona permit. Stop at Bob Evans for good food as usual. Leave the gun in your holster. Drive through Communist Ohio, holding your breath if you so desire, at a constant speed of 5 mph over the posted limit. Enter the land of the free, Pennsylvania, take a deep breath of freedom and look for the nearest Dutch Pantry.

The only thing I do in Ohio is leave my bodily deposits. :D Ohio is like NYC. All I want to do there is get out!
    I plan on it. It is just a timing issue as I am on the road a lot! I do agree that it is the best answer although I think I would still do everything except put my gun away!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When I am done. I go out to my car, take off my gun(s) unload the mags, place the gun(s) in one lock box and place the ammo and mags in the other lock box.

This.

Unloading magazines is essential. Otherwise, don't sweat it so much. I regularly go to Columbus and sometimes bring several handguns so I can do some target shooting.

Don't forget, Ohio is a free open carry state, in theory at least.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Then I walk around my car backwards three times while spitting through my fingers praying to the Almighty that I am not stopped anywhere in that communist state. I then get in my car and proceed to hold my breath until I leave the last square inch of that soil.

Once I am out of Ohio. I get out of the car, place a rug on the ground facing west to Indiana and bow 3 times with my head to the ground, giving thanks for the freedoms I have there.
    ROFL
    Thanks for that.

sem351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Central Indiana
    This.

Unloading magazines is essential. Otherwise, don't sweat it so much. I regularly go to Columbus and sometimes bring several handguns so I can do some target shooting.

Don't forget, Ohio is a free open carry state, in theory at least.

I've read some about "open carry" in Ohio, can anyone elaborate on this? If I understand it correctly, you can carry without a permit as long as the firearm is in plain view.?

My wife and I travel to Michigan quite a bit, just north of Toledo, and have done the same thing as bondhead88 minus the Bob Evans, and bowing, etc. LOL. We plan to get our non resident Florida LTCH in the future to make our travels easier...

FFM173

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Greenwood
    Ohio is an open-carry state. But once you enter back into your car they consider the weapon to be concealed. So hence you would have to disarm and unload everytime you enter your car. Go get Non-residnet Arizona.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    As long as you can "lawfully possess and carry" your handgun at your place of destination, it appears that you are complying very nicely with the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, 18 U.S.C. 926(A), while traveling through Ohio.

Just my :twocents:, not legal advice.

Guy

I called the attorney general and the state police in Ohio last week as I was traveling through their state on a trip to Cabelas. Both departments stated to me that once i crossed the state line i was bound by Ohio state laws. If i were to have a loaded weapon in the vehicle it is considered a concealed weapon. They also stated that there is no reciprocacy agreement so our Indiana LTCH is not recognized.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I called the attorney general and the state police in Ohio last week as I was traveling through their state on a trip to Cabelas. Both departments stated to me that once i crossed the state line i was bound by Ohio state laws. If i were to have a loaded weapon in the vehicle it is considered a concealed weapon. They also stated that there is no reciprocacy agreement so our Indiana LTCH is not recognized.
    That is why you unload the weapon. A loaded when includes speed loader and mags. On top of placing the gun in an inaccessible location (the trunk) I also lock the gun separately from the unloaded mags and ammunition in lock boxes. And as long as the destination I am going to (Pennsylvania) I can legally carry and my starting point (Indiana) I can legally carry.

I can cross Ohio with my guns under the Federal Peaceable Transfer law. this would also work crossing from Indiana though Ohio to West Virginia/Kentucky, or Indiana through Illinois to Missouri/Wisconsin/Iowa

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    That was basically what I was saying. You can cross ohio legally in possession just not carry on your person. Possession meaning locked and inaccessible.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

Right.....

So is there something about my post that you find to be inaccurate?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Arizona's is cheaper and covers you in eight states, many of which the FL covers. Another option is Utah, which gives access to MN. Neither of the other two do this.

Blessings,
    Bill

Arizona's out-of-state permit gives eight additional states (DE, KS, NE, NM, NV, OH, VA, WV) costs $60 for five years and does not require a photograph. It is the best deal, unless you travel to MN or WA on a regular basis.

Utah's permit gives only seven additional states (DE, KS, NE, NM, OH, VA, WA, WV) costs $65 for five years, requires a photo and a special class that costs, typically, about another $100.00.

Florida's out-of-state permit gives eight additional states (DE, KS, NE, NM, OH, VA, WA, WV) costs $117 for seven years, and requires a photo.

Both Arizona and Florida require training, but any NRA class, a hunter's safety class, or even a DD214 suffices.

www.handgunlaw.us

Overall (unless regular travel to MN and-or WA) the Arizona permit is the best, easiest, and cheapest. Call (602) 256-6280 or 800-256-6280 and a nice person will send you the application package at no charge.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom