• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I started carrying the day i turned 21. I started training when i was 18 and had roughly 100hrs of formal firearms training under well-regarded instructors by then and innumerable hours of practice.

I believed then as i believe now that carrying a deadly weapon without significant relevant training is a liability.

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    think I was about 24, decided that I wanted a carry piece, bought a mauser, then a shotgun; 20g, and about 14 items later ... carry every day.

didnt come from a family that ever had a firearm in the house, parents never talked about it, either way at least. But now, it's part of who I am along with the responsibility to carry it and to protect my family and those around me. My mentality has changed in regards to personal protection and politics over the past 15 years very drastically and I have become a very ardent supporter of ownership and ability to carry ...

how does that saying go ... JFC

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Started hunting when I was 12 after hunters safety course. Started carrying an M16 when I was 20. (Not really, they wouldn't let you keep them loaded.) Got my first MI CCW license when I was working at the Prison in Michigan City, but living in MI. MI didn't have shall issue "general" permits then. Looking back, I probably didn't have enough handgun training at that point to carry, but that was remedied shortly afterwords when I attended the Police Academy.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm in my early 40's, and started carrying about 7 years ago.

I only shot a gun of any sorts a few times as a youth. Dad had an in-operable 22 rifle in the closet, so no real family background. Took a safety class, bought gun #1, and started hitting the range. Training (on many topics) is getting worked into the family budget a little at a time.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I grew up in a shooting family. Joined the Air Force and served in pararescue, so we had tons of training on weapons of all kinds. But I did not start carrying until I was 50. After our home was broken into I decided that I will never go unarmed again. I still do a lot of shooting and feel that my military background has really helped.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Started shooting around 5 with my dad's 12ga., 22 rifle, and 9mm (needed help holding up the 12Ga though). I was a gun fanatic even before that however. After that I took countless safety courses from ranges, hunter's safety, etc. Got into rifle and trap competitions by 10 (and reloading to support that habit) and learned a lot from other competitors that my uncle took me around to meet. Didn't really get into pistols until my teens when I sought out training (NRA, local PDs, etc.) Before that most of my firearms and martial arts training came from some active duty relatives. Applied for my LTCH as soon as I turned 18 and been carrying ever since.

That was a PITA sort of though because of when my birthday falls in the calendar year I was always one of the oldest in my class, so I was 18 through most of my senior year and obviously couldn't carry at/to school. My competitions dropped off during high school (other than for the school rifle team) and since then due to time/money (I worked full time during high school), but I try to seek training wherever and whenever I can. I always advise you thoroughly research any instructors you plan to invest your money in, however take as much as you can with an appropriate mindset so that you walk away with something. The wrong mindset going into training can make it a waste of your time and money.

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    I started carrying in my early 20's. I have always been around guns and stared with a pellet gun when I was 6 or 7. No formal training, I was just taught by my dad.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Started carrying when I turned 23.

I had been hunting with my dad since I was 5. Guns/hunting were a part of our lives. shot my first deer when I was 10 (200 yards with a .243) and first turkey when i was 11. I guess you could say training was every day. As for "formal" training... hunter's safety is about it, although it was a joke since I could have probably taught the class at age 10.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I started carrying at 19! only training at first came from older brothers! I had 4 of them, also taught me to fight because I was the youngest boy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For handguns outside the military, 23. Before that I was stationed in states that didn't have a handgun permit in those days. Once I'd been back in Indiana for about a year I had my LTCH and have carried ever since unless out of the country. For long guns, I was hunting on my own once I turned 11 and my grandfather was too sick with cancer to hunt any longer.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I started carrying a handgun at 19, almost 20. With no prior formal training, only shooting with family and friends. If you know the 4 rules with a long gun, you know the 4 rules with a handgun. And I've owned and own long guns myself. Waiting to carry a handgun until after you have 100 hours of training is silly. It's a process that continues your whole life. It's better to be armed, but have no formal training, than to be unarmed.
    Of course you need to know the laws before you start carrying, but you can learn those online on in.gov
    If your family taught you the principals, and you know the laws, then rest can come later.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    First exposure to guns was in scouting at age 11. Had a lot of exposure to long guns throughout my teens, but not handguns. Purchased my first handgun at age 29 or 30 and started carrying at age 33. No formal training but lots of practice. Didn't take a formal training class until after I was married, mostly for my wife's benefit, at age 54.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    I have been shooting since I was about 7. Thankfully I was raised around firearms and taught to respect them early on. I got my permit about 4 years ago and have carried ever since. I mainly keep a gun in my car for the off chance that I hit an animal and need to put it down. I will carry it on my person when I feel it's needed but don't make a habit of it as I am rarely away from home or work.

My personal opinion is you carry when you are ready and when you have a need to. I'm a glass half full person and try to assume most people are good, which I believe to be true. That being said, in certain situations I just feel better armed. Just in case, you know?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I always had a gun.
    If we went to the river to fish, we took a 22.
    If we went camping, we took a 22.
    If we went swimming in a quarry, we took a 22.
    Man I could shoot back then...

Mostly rifles.
    I didn't start carrying handguns until I could buy my own, so I was probably 21.

Top Bottom