Where and when is it legal to shoot a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Here let me throw another twist into your thoughts...

Not all Towns/Cities in Indiana are Towns or Cities...

Quite a few of the Smaller Towns in Indiana are not incorporated...

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I get the impression that the term "special service district" is used to refer to the former city boundaries, but so far I haven't seen a map of it.

FYI: Here is the digest from 2007 where they tried to extend the no-discharge code to the consolidated city boundaries. It didn't make it out of committee here; to my knowledge, it has not since.

PROPOSAL NO. 174, 2007 (General Ordinance)
    INTRODUCED: 03/26/2007 BY: Councillors Mansfield, Gray, Nytes, Pryor, Bateman, Conley and Sanders
    REFERRED TO: Rules and Public Policy Committee
    DIGEST: amends Chapter 451, Weapons, of the Code and adds new sections restricting the use and discharge of weapons in the Consolidated City
    COMMITTEE ACTION:
    04/17/2007 Postpone until 5/22/2007 5-3
    05/22/2007 Do Not Pass 4-2

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Very true.

I have busted many a cap in downtown Stockwell.:D

Stockwell, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I first moved into this little Town I live in I had a Neighbor who was your typical nosy neighbor. I set up to Electric Throwers, you know the kind that hold like 500 clays with a foot rocker. Whenever he would come over to tell me how to do something in my yard, I would call a couple of Friends over and we would commence to bustin' clays in my backyard...

Then my Wife moved in and the Throwers had to be moved off the back deck... :(:(:(

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Back along the lines of the original question, is there much public land in Indiana that is open to shooting on? I think the Hoosier National Forest is open in certain areas, and with some restrictions regarding proximity to roads or buildings, but are there others? I've heard folks talk about shooting in old quarries but have never seen any that are not private property.

To date, we (me and my two sons) have shot a ranges, and occasionally on private land when invited. It would be great to find a bit of public land that would be legal to practice drills that are not possible at a range.

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    A friend of mine lives in an unincorporated part of town and he says its ok to hunt and shoot there since its unincorporated.

I was just wondering if that was true. Not sure of thresholds or zoning just curious.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    To date, we (me and my two sons) have shot a ranges, and occasionally on private land when invited. It would be great to find a bit of public land that would be legal to practice drills that are not possible at a range.

Unaware. I believe you have to pay your our way in this state and cannot go shoot up public land as in other states.

Top Bottom