• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    churchmouse; said:
    Family used to have a lot of farm land in Putnam county when I was much younger. Cousins were some chuck hunters. My Grandmother and aunts would actually cook them. If you did not shoot them to be dressed out you got your butt chewed.
    I never ate any but they liked it...............:dunno:
    Speaking of eating groundhogs, I ate some when I was a teenager and into my thirties. Young groundhogs about the size of squirrels seemed to taste a lot like squirrels when fried up. Rabbit size something like rabbits. On the other hand, mature groundhogs were a real “bear” to even skin. I had a friend who used to cook (parboil I believe) until the meat would nearly fall off the bones. Then he would take the meat and grind it mixed roughly half and half with pork sausage from the store. The result was “whole hog sausage” that his children really loved to eat. I wonder if he ever told them what they were eating??

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I had one cross the road in front of me a few days ago. It was the first one I've seen in the area in several years, and I am out in the woods and fields a lot.
    I've thought that coyotes are a factor in the low groundhog population. To what extent I wouldn't guess. And ag chemicals are a suspect too.
    I hadn't considered distemper. That could also be part of it.
    The loss of groundhogs has affected other wildlife because there aren't any groundhog dens. Rabbits, skunks, quail ect use groundhog dens as shelter from predators and the weather. Bitter cold weather especially.
    I've lost track of them, but the DNR has plans a person can use to make artificial dens for wildlife cover. It's basically a buried box (4 sides and a top) of treated lumber with one corrugated pipe buried in a sloped trench used as the entrance tunnel. I think it was 6" pipe. Another one of my projects that's never gotten off of the ground.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Speaking of eating groundhogs, I ate some when I was a teenager and into my thirties. Young groundhogs about the size of squirrels seemed to taste a lot like squirrels when fried up. Rabbit size something like rabbits. On the other hand, mature groundhogs were a real “bear” to even skin. I had a friend who used to cook (parboil I believe) until the meat would nearly fall off the bones. Then he would take the meat and grind it mixed roughly half and half with pork sausage from the store. The result was “whole hog sausage” that his children really loved to eat. I wonder if he ever told them what they were eating??

The relatives liked the young tender ones. They would eat all of including the brains............:dunno:

If I head shot them gramps would be pissed as it splattered the brains. Gut shots ruined some meat so gramma and the aunts would say "Thought you were a good shot...Shoot-em in the head"
    The last summer I went out there I was using an M-1 Garrand so if I hit one there was not a lot left.

No win deal but fun to hunt.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've always looked at groundhogs as a target of opportunity and not any kind of a game animal. I've got one out behind the house, but it stays in the neighbors property where I can't get a clean shot off because of what's behind my target. One of these days I'll get that dirty *******. There's just something about big ankle twisting and mower destroying holes in the yard that I can't stand.

I can say that I've never ate a groundhog that I've shot, and I don't ever intend to unless the world has taken a turn for the worse. I just always figured that worms & buzzards had to eat too and leaving them lay would support the circle of life.

jschutz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    In southwestern Indiana the coyotes have decimated them. I have seen a pack catch some baby groundhogs when I was coyote hunting. I actually use some groundhog whistles and groundhog distress calls when hunting coyotes. I find the coyotes more fun to hunt/shoot anyway so I am ok with it haha

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Freshly disc'd soil, laying in it, under the shade along edge of a beanfield, Ruger #1 B in .243............man what great memories.

Cool how after you thumped one you'd get up and see your clothes wrinkles in the dirt.

The "Boom-whop" is just too cool.

Chucks have a smell to 'em. Killed enough, handled carcasses, I got to where I could smell em if I didn't see 'em, when walking through a woods. Kinda neat.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    Of course a day fter I post this...

Head into the wide open bean field I had been watching, walk the fence row and the river bank. I think I spot one but he's not coming out of the weeds. Charlie Mike.
    Carried my gorgeous Charles Daly Superior II (Zastava) .22 with a Zuhmel 3-10 scope, American Eagle 36 grainers.

No real contact with said critter, so I head back to my car about a quarter mile away. Put my rifle away, start the car...One last check with the binos... Way on the other side of the field where I just was... 2 of them show up in 2 different places. CRAP!!
    Grab the rifle again, head out... Negative contact.

Had to hustle .. Baby grandson duty last night.

Today after I get some errands run, I'm going back armed with a MB Remington Nylon 66 and some Federal bulk. Nice and light for my trek.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    There's one that inhabits the wooded plot/small park between the Micky Des and the new Capital Avenue in Mishwaka. e

I've saw what appears to be the same on twice, once while driving past and once when my son and I were out walking on a dirt service road behind the park and next to a railroad. Boy, I reached for the Glock then stopped-damn city regulations!

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    We've got them everywhere around us. I trapped somewhere over 120 of them and shot a few last year. We've probably got a dozen or so this year so far, but haven't had a lot of spare time yet. I'm hoping to get some spare time this week to test some loads and go hunt a few spots.

rrrbmwwps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Wabash indiana
    They all moved to Wabash county. And they all live in my yard, the moles and groundhogs are caddyshack intense around here. I shoot as many as I can it doesn't seem to help.

Top Bottom