• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Even though I follow news out of UK, I rarely post any on INGO as it is usually immaterial to what we discuss here. However, this is simply too much and I must share this as therapy. I am at sixes and sevens over this.

Royal Navy Petty Officer told to change out of her uniform on Virgin Atlantic into PJs. I wish I had an upcoming flight on Virgin so I could cancel it and demand my money back.

What a way to treat a heroine: Royal Navy girl who fought in Afghanistan told to cover up uniform on Virgin flight in case it offended other passengers | Mail Online

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It wasn't so long ago that we were forbidden from wearing our uniforms ashore in the good ole' USA. I feel for her. I know what it feels like when people try to make you feel ashamed of the uniform. The UK was once a great nation. Unfortunately, in many respects, we are still following in their footsteps.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It is terrifying to me that our "leaders" look to the UK for where they want us to go.

Exactly. Take that in conjunction with the DHS documents and Dianne Feinstein's patently stupid remarks and it appears to yield indicators of taking treatment of our troops and veterans in a direction I really don't like (and the troops and veterans presumably like/will like even less). As I read the tea leaves, I see our troops being treated as dangerous sociopaths leading to being treated as animals rather than citizens, let alone citizens who deserve our appreciation for the service they give the nation.

As for Kirk's quote, I recall that we had that same problem 237 +/- years ago and some of our most noteworthy citizens found a creative way of dealing with it.

Gniks18

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    This is stupid on Virgin's part, but screw her and screw everyone else who wears the uniform in public. They only do it for the free stuff and the attention.

And calling her a hero? Broad probably sat around at Bagram eating Whoppers and drinking Starbucks lattes. Serving in the military doesn't automatically make somebody a hero.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    This is stupid on Virgin's part, but screw her and screw everyone else who wears the uniform in public. They only do it for the free stuff and the attention.

And calling her a hero? Broad probably sat around at Bagram eating Whoppers and drinking Starbucks lattes. Serving in the military doesn't automatically make somebody a hero.
    what a dick

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It wasn't so long ago that we were forbidden from wearing our uniforms ashore in the good ole' USA. I feel for her. I know what it feels like when people try to make you feel ashamed of the uniform. The UK was once a great nation. Unfortunately, in many respects, we are still following in their footsteps.

We are still a child of that once great nation. What is happening is the way great nations always end up.....in the hands of the prissy A$$ libs.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I'm sure she did a great job filing papers and performing other administrative tasks.

Yep, still a dick.

Who cares what she did? She volunteered to serve her country. She deserves to be treated with respect.

Gniks18

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    No, you haven't. There's never an excuse to be a misogynist dick.

Lets be honest with ourselves here, she wasn't kickin' in any doors. She was sitting in a secure rear position on a base that affords those on it all the luxuries of any town or mall in the states. The whole everyone in the military is automatically a hero thing is getting old.

Now she gets on a plane wearing her uniform because why again? Why the uniform exactly? Shes flying from a country with a slight terrorism issue, and is making herself into a nice little target. Most members in the military that are of any rank do not wear the uniform when traveling, especially to and from a warzone. As I stated before, the USMC doesn't even allow Marines to wear the uniform in public.

The truth of the matter is that she and many others wear the uniform for the free beer, free meals, and the pat on the back.

As much as it may pain you and others to hear this, it is true and not borne from some nefarious or misogynistic sentiment.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I gotta go with "gniks" on this one

I think our definition of hero is really over used. Why does one's choice of a profession make them a hero? Public service, service to their country, by that standard almost any person that is paid by tax dollars is a hero, which would include our politicians, ugggh!

Are all doctors and nurses heroes, how about the guy that drives the street sweeper? I would like to see a survey of our young enlistees to see what motivated them to volunteer for the armed services, my two step sons both served, and I do not believe that service to their country would have made the top five list of reasons, in my day we were drafted so that point is moot.

True heroism is very often an act of stupidity gone right.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Virgin should get its corporate tail twisted for this kind of behavior. Anyone serving in the military is deserving of respect and I think they should wear their uniform while in transit. Being disrespectful to those serving is just bad manners IMO. Lots of bad manners going around these days though so it isn't all that unusual.

Gettin' to be a lot of under-bridge dwellers on here lately.

Top Bottom